Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Atheists and Christmas (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

I read the comments about atheism and that leads me to this question.  How do atheists feel about Christmas?  Do you celebrate it in any way?  Because obviously it's a Christian holiday and if you don't believe in Christ, I'm guessing you don't celebrate it..or do you in some way? If you're atheist, it would seem to me that Christmas wouldn't mean anything to you, but do you have children and if so how do you handle that?  Do you still do gifts, etc?  I am a Christian and I totally respect your views...not tying to start a heated debate, more curious than anything else.  Thanks!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Christmas stopped being a strictly Christian holiday a long time ago. Christians who are so inclined can, of course, continue to celebrate the events commemorated however they see fit (even tho they're doing it at the wrong time of year, and actually continuing a pagan festival c0-opted by the early Christians). Others can just get into the fun of the festivities, such as they find them.

Or, to put that another way:

"That's What Christmas is For"

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

Because obviously it's a Christian holiday

Well except for all the stuff, most likely including the date, that was stolen from Pagan traditions.

I love Christmas, but celebrate it as a secular holiday.  I know Jews, Buddists and Hindus who also celebrate the day, and it's clearly not the Christ mass they're celebrating.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

I do all the secular stuff: tree, lights, gifts, being with family. I was raised in a non-denominational Christian household, so we never had churchy-things. The only religious decoration I have is the Peanuts manger, cause I love that show! My wife is Christian, and maybe someday my kids will be, but we don't push them.

It's really my favorite holiday!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

Redundant post

Edited to add
 I should have read all the comments first. 

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 24 December 2013 at 12:43pm

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

As a non-Christian, I most enjoy eating the babies.

also - days off from work.

Edited by Roy Johnson on 24 December 2013 at 1:21pm

Jeff Dyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Thanks guys...interesting.  Whatever your personal beliefs, I wish you all a season of love, blessings and happiness!
Jeff

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

Yes, that's what I find so interesting about the so-called "War on Christmas." Christianity has essentially hijacked the natural desire to celebrate the end of the year (winter solstice, family gatherings, and so on) but the Sarah Palins and those at FOX News aren't satisfied unless every secular humanist, Jew, or atheist with a tree says "Merry Christmas!" instead of "Happy Holidays" and acknowledges that the *true* reason for the celebration is the birth of Christ.

Like many non-Christians, I have fond memories of this holiday season. One of my favorite Christmases of recent years was in London (they really know how to do the holidays in Europe). I also recommend New Orleans during December. It's warm but beautifully festive. I like watching and reading A CHRISTMAS CAROL. For the past 20-odd years, I've watched THE AVENGERS' TOO MANY CHRISTMAS TREES on Christmas Eve. Oh, and of course, the kid in me gets up in the morning and watches Christmas-themed episodes of DC Animated cartoons while enjoying a hot cup of coffee and homemade sticky buns.

But keep pushing the War on Christmas and it will all go in the attic. I'll have my fill.

Rob Van Gessel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 9  

Given the commerciality of Christmas we're all raised on - and let's be real, 80% of us, religious or otherwise, celebrate it on that level - most of us are on "autopilot" as we slide into the fantasy and fun.

Jean-Francois Joutel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

Christmas is a relatively new holiday. There are many, older pagan holidays that surround the solstices and equinoxes.

This year I'm trying to celebrate it a little more as Saturnalia and Yule than the (non) birthday of Christ.

Sol invictus!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

"The charming aspect of Christmas is the fact that it expresses good will in a cheerful, happy, benevolent, non-sacrificial way. One says: “Merry Christmas”—not “Weep and Repent.” And the good will is expressed in a material, earthly form—by giving presents to one’s friends, or by sending them cards in token of remembrance . . . ." - Ayn Rand
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, that's what I find so interesting about the so-called "War on Christmas." Christianity has essentially hijacked the natural desire to celebrate the end of the year (winter solstice, family gatherings, and so on) but the Sarah Palins and those at FOX News aren't satisfied unless every secular humanist, Jew, or atheist with a tree says "Merry Christmas!" instead of "Happy Holidays" and acknowledges that the *true* reason for the celebration is the birth of Christ.

••

Claiming there is a "War on Christmas" is like the school bully complaining that the other kids keep hitting him in the fist with their faces.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version