Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Seeking advice from John Byrne for a similar title.... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 1  

That's an idea I've explored. It looked like a funky poster and people had a hard time following it as a story. I see a balance is needed. See, there's advice that says stick to the traditional things, like word bubbles. Read that again.

Yes, stick to TRADITION so it fits in the genre. It's what people are used to seeing. Comfortable. don't have to do anything different than what you've already been doing.

But then you can see something different. This is a graphic comic. That's what I call it. It's NOT a comic book, per se, but it's also episodic and NOT a true graphic NOVEL either.

I'm trying to be closer to a movie. That's why I pick the shapes to emulate 16:9 widescreen. Those boxes/scenes are frames, not panels. In some areas I do break out. See parts of Seek End Destroy. I collage the layout.
-----
If I had my way, fully, there wouldn't be boxes per page. It'd be one horizontal frame that ate the entire page. There's a graphic magazine about studio effects called...cinemascape or cinemascope. That would be my desired format. More movie in design and less comic.

In the end it's about seasoning to taste. I do what I would do. And everyone is free to consider what they would do. That's fair. It's art. Once I present it, it's no longer mine, it's yours- to like, dismiss, hate or ignore.

I want it to be BETTER- that's why- anything that detracts from overall enjoyment needs to be addressed. That's why I edited the text style. Some aspects I will change because it's not as good as it could be, but then there's areas that represent my sensibilities and it's what I want to do.

If you look at John's work, hell yeah, he's taking a risk. Very few are venturing forth and doing something different. Who knows what's going to happen next. You saw his evolution and how much better his books are looking now. I was blown away at the new graphics.

There's a French artist who has been cited as 'creating this style'. I never heard of him and I never saw anyone else doing this when I started. I used to look at  Japanese toy catalogues and see fan-built models and wish I could draw or paint like those images. I scanned one and that started my interest. I started scanning newspapers because they were cheap and black and white was supposed to be cheaper than color. That was BEFORE the internet. When I look at my old comics I laugh at the washed out look and  horrible Photoshop skills where the heads never matched the bodies. When I went to color and tried to match magazine scans with newspaper clips and such, the results were disastrous.

I used to scan from VHS tapes and was glad when DVD came out. Since then I've moved to CGI and still use some of the old -mixed with the new. My brain melted once when Heavy Metal featured an artist using that same photo-real style and blew apart when I saw John's Star Trek.

But enough. I am so glad to be here and have the help and tighten up my work. I so appreciate that. Wow, I typed all that?
Anyhow the font has been updated and I made a few other tweaks.
Thanks for your time and attention. Now if only I can get John to read it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

Wow - really surprised this gets past the "no self promotion" filter.

Great stuff Drew! I like it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think it does because Mr. Byrne was kind enough to help me when I first posted it. I think he made this official.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

Wow - really surprised this gets past the "no self promotion" filter.

••

Fine line, but I let it pass.

Back to Top profile | search

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

Thank you, sir!
Please read, please read, please read.
Sorry to gush..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.