Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Drawing Questions for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 1  

Hi JB, I was looking at some of your work and I was wondering the following:

(1)Do you have any rules of thumb when drawing Reed Richards in elongated mode as far as anatomy and proportion are concerned?

(2) Your running poses always seem to look cooler than photos of real people running. What do you use as reference material for running poses?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 March 2014 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 2  

1) Many artists, when drawing Reed stretching, tend to articulate his limbs, including elbows and knees. Sometimes this works, but for the most part it is best to think of his arms and legs as simple tubular shapes. Same for his torso. I actually found it best, most often, to treat Reed as a flying figure, thinking of his body trailing behind him much as does the Torch's flame.

2) For most of my career I found running poses among the hardest to draw. Not without reason you have not seen me doing the Flash or Quicksilver very often! Only recently has something clicked over in my brain, making it possible to do someone like Dart in TRIPLE HELIX without her looking like she was tripping over something!

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for the prompt reply JB. Considering Reed as a flying figure is interesting. (Makes me think of some Gene Colan Iron Man poses!)

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

) For most of my career I found running poses among the hardest to draw. Not without reason you have not seen me doing the Flash or Quicksilver very often! Only recently has something clicked over in my brain, making it possible to do someone like Dart in TRIPLE HELIX without her looking like she was tripping over something!

Interesting. I have never thought your drawings of people running ever looked like they were tripping over something. I have always thought your running figures looked as if they were speeding into the action, very dramatic looking. It's one of the things you do that I still find myself falling short in. I am always thinking " How the hell does John get these running figures to look so energized " when I am drawing people running.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version