Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Comic Remakes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

Would anyone like to see the Clone saga again?
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Would anyone like to see the Clone saga again?
=========
*crickets chirping*

Just kidding. But, we have gotten a remake of sorts for this storyline
via ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN with the clone being female.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

They already did do a remake of the Spider-Man Clone Saga, as a six issue mini-series.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

A note to Dale Lerette: That Thor vs. Conan story did see print in What If v.1 #39. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

The Defenders "Who Remembers Scorpio" #46-#50.
This had the potential of a great story (was still a good story).
Lots of characters and sub plots.
I would have;
Covers : Ernie Chan (always loved his Hulk)
Writer : John Byrne ( great keeping all of the characters involved and to model).
Penciller : John Byrne
Inker : Tony DeZuniga

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 6  

I've found one, a bit stretching your parameters, but at least it avoids the trap of remaking a classic.

I would redo the second half of QUASAR. Gruenwald wrote that he'd conceived the first story arc, if he ever got the chance to do such a book. I think that is up to the "Cosmos in Collision" run. (Incidentally, 19-25 is cleverly structured to bring new readers up to speed.) A few good one- and two-issue stories after that, then it seems to lose steam. Partly due to One Thing After Another -- by the time he recovers from being Ultimately Nullified in "The Infinity War" it's time for the next crossover -- and partly a feeling of loss of direction; his girlfriend goes missing in a subplot that gets brought up and forgotten about forgotten about! for way too long, and Quasar drops a few super-villains in the Quantum Zone, a trackless void from which they can't escape, which seems like a clever non-violent way to handle them, but on reconsideration is a death sentence via the slowest possible means of execution.

The idea is to treat that run as a first draft. We know the endpoint at #60, (well, I do, no spoilers for you all,) put a better focus on the events leading up to it, trim a few of the distractions.

Art: Greg Capullo/Keith Williams were a pleasant surprise emerging here. If Paul Ryan/Danny Bulanadi could come back for an arc in space...

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 7  

Thanks Brian!

I looked it up and read about it. Interesting take on the story. I remember reading about the idea "in discussion" in the fan pages of possible What If stories. But I never actually knew if they did it or not.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm a big fan of Steve Gerber and I think his OMEGA THE UNKNOWN was the biggest missed opportunity in comics!  I think there was a great concept there and an intriguing mystery.  Gerber (and 70's Marvel comics in general) tended to wander, but if the storyline was more planned out (if not as a limited series, then at least a more structured first arc) and a more dynamic modern artist like Jim Lee, Jim Cheung, or Steve McNiven tackled the sci fi and super-heroics of it, it could have been Marvel's first post-Stan Lee powerhouse.

Over at DC, the whole SUPERGIRL concept was never done quite right.  By the time she got her own regular series, she was already out of high school, which is where her series should definitely be set.  The latest post and pre-New 52 versions are violent, muddled, and with completely the wrong tone.  A Supergirl series should be kid--especially girl--friendly with fun, teen-oriented stories and a nice, clear art style--something like DeFalco and Oliffe's run on SPIDER-GIRL.  I think good, clean artists like Tom Grummett and Kerry Gammill are falling out of favor these dark days, but either of them would be perfect on a book like this that's intended to reach all ages (kid AND adult)!

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 9  

"Not that old, but Secret Invasion.

I love the idea of the Skrulls plotting a long-term infiltration of Earth's heroes and villains, but the execution, like most of the event titles of the current era, was lacking. "

I agree that the Secret Invasion concept was really quite intriguing, but the creators and editors who first pitched it really needed to spend more time planning it than the "fifteen minutes over beer" version at that weeks retreat; which the actual payoff seems to suggest it actually received. 

As a long term military campaign launched by the Skrulls in the wake of the original Kree-Skrull War, the event had boatloads of potential, virtually all of which was immediately dropped like a hot potato upon release of the last official tie-in issue. Imagine just how much more of a punch Secret Invasion would have been, if characters that truly mattered had been revealed to have been imposters all along, or if beloved characters previously killed off had been skrulls who had died in said characters role, allowing the originals to now be retrieved from captivity? There were more continuity ripples from the Civil War event, and even then only to a limited degree; before the behind the scenes beer guzzlers were back to sound-biting the next seasons "world-shaking" puffery.

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

It's been a while since I thought I'd love to see a remake of the golden age Superman, maybe set in the 40s, but with modern art and storytelling.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

Sergio, I'd love to see that book. And while I'd enjoy some of the
modern art of today's "hot" artists, I think it would be more fun if one
of Timm's disciples drew the book. I remember Dave Bullock drawing
some amazing covers with a retro Superman, for Action Comics. Even
Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier Superman would make for a good
Golden Age book.

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

I agree, I'd LOVE to see JB redo Secret Wars. Also think he'd do a great remake of All-Star Squadron and Firestorm.

Some others:

Moore/Sienkiewicz: Batman: Year 1, in the style of Elektra: Assasin. I LOVE the original, just think it's be fun to see Bill's take on it.

Mike Mignola: New Defenders 125-152. 

Barry Windsor-Smith: Iron Man: Extremis.

Walt Simonson: the Australian X-men run.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version