Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Comic Remakes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Hollywood loves to remake old films we all know that. Most often they aren't as good as the original. A few thou have been better the second time around. 

So I was thinking lets do that with some old comic storylines.  

Now before everyone comments please don't bother with the "this shouldn't be done responses" I'm pretty sure we all feel that it shouldn't happen. So please think of this thread as a What If thread. Just respond as if it's going to happen and give your idea's as to what Stories you'd like to see get the remake treatment.

Feel free to base your choice on any criteria you'd like if you can explain why and the creators involved. If you feel like it.

My choice is Marvel's Secret Wars. I chose this because I loved it as a kid. I love the idea of taking the Heroes and Villains and just pitting them against each other. As an adult looking back at the series. I think it could have been done so much better story wise.

So I would keep the same basic idea that they all get transported to this strange alien planet by some unseen force. The motivation as to why and the scenarios that take place I'd leave it up to the writer to come up with the story he wanted to tell. I'd keep it a 12 issue series.

My creative team would be 
Covers-Alex Ross and Joe Jusko
Writer-John Byrne
Pencilers-John Byrne, Alan Davis,Bryan Hitch and Mark Texeria  each doing three issues each.
Inker- Paul Neary, Terry Austin, Mark Texeria

There is my pick, how about the rest of you?

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 09 April 2014 at 2:06pm
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 2  

West Coast Avengers 17-23, "Lost in Space-Time". Steve Engelhart and Al Milgrom created an underrated gem with this 7 part epic, however, Milgrom's art has always seemed dull to me. I would prefer someone a little more exciting or dynamic. I would recast this storyline as follows:

Writer: Steve Engelhart
Pencils: Paul Ryan, who I believe was just breaking into comics around this time with work on DP7 and Squadron Supreme.
Inks: Romeo Tanghal
Covers: John Byrne
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 3  

Marvel Comics slipped up and lost their trademark to use "The Champions" as a series title. Since the very small press entity that scored that legal victory has proven unable to capitalize upon it, my "What If" scenario would be to have it return to the House of Ideas as ........ Captain Marvel and The Champions!

That would be Mar-Vell of the Kree alongside team members such as: Adam Warlock, Doc Samson, Ms. Marvel (yes, Carol), Spider-Woman, Black Goliath, Brother Voodoo, Iron Fist, Omega the Unknown, Nova, Luke Cage, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Hellcat, Falcon, and Captain Britain; a predominantly bronze age gang for sure.

Writer: Peter Tomasi
Pencils: Fernando Pasarin
Inks: Scott Hanna
Covers: Jim Cheung (who if willing to occasionally do interiors, specials or annuals,would be even sweeter)

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 4  

It's not really a remake to my knowledge. But I remember an idea that was talked about in a What If (What if Conan had met Thor). This would have been discussed way back in the first series. I am not sure if this was ever done but I would have loved to read that. The idea of Thor in a Cimmerian setting I thought would have been awesome. I think Walt Simonson would be perfect for writing and artwork.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 5  

I'd remake Grant Morrison's Animal Man run with Phil Jiminez on art chores.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 6  

Who's Alex Smith?

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 7  

I'd do a different version of the 'Detroit' phase of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA from the mid-80s.(This team consisted of Aquaman, J'onn J'onzz, Elongated Man and Zatanna from the 'old' League, and the infamous group of Vibe, Gypsy, Vixen, and a 'second generation' Steel).
Gerry Conway and Chuck Patton would stay as the creative team, but I'd dump Alan Gold, who seemed like he only took the job as editor so he could piss all over the team.
 I had no problem with removing Superman and Wonder Woman from the League(as well as Flash, whose days were numbered, anyway), but I would have kept a few more of the members who were written out, especially Red Tornado, Green Arrow and Black Canary. 

The trouble with the JLA of that era was that too many writers and editors gutted the team to either give characters new books, with contrived storylines that didn't allow them to stay in the group, or just removed them shortly before killing them off. I'd probably have to undo CRISIS to really fix the JLA, but I could see the group being split into two teams, sort of like what was already happening with East and West Coast Avengers.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 8  

Not that old, but Secret Invasion.

I love the idea of the Skrulls plotting a long-term infiltration of Earth's heroes and villains, but the execution, like most of the event titles of the current era, was lacking. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

Who's Alex Smith?
~~~~~~~
I was multitasking at the time. I didn't even notice the error. It should have been Alex Ross.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

Roy Thomas and Neal Adams on the AVENGERS: Kree/Skrull War.

It's already a great story, but IMO, it has problems.
Thomas seemed to change the stories pacing depending on the artist.
Well, the whole of the story has three separate artists. All three are
masters of the craft but story feels really disjointed to me, and it
actually feels it had to be wrapped up quicker than intended. I'd love
to see Roy Thomas take what was written, and expand it, make it
really epic, give the story a good sense of rhythm and have Neal
Adams just rock the artwork from start to finish.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

I agree with the Kree/Skrull War redo. Have one artist for the whole thing. And that goes for all of those great stories out there were there is an artist change in the middle of a story.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'd like to see a GENESIS written AND drawn by John Byrne with no
interference from the Powers That Be.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version