Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The breakout success of Wolverine and the X-Men (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 1  

I think it's the trade paperbacks - they were and remain essential to any collection of landmark X-Men stories.  JB's work has been released in several different versions.  I read my first "Dark Phoenix Saga" to pieces. 

And now we have two movies that adapt JB's work - "Dark Phoenix Saga" and "Days of Future Past".  I think this reflects how influential these stories are to a lot of readers, myself included.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 2  

Wolverine as he was back in the day reminds me a little of Jack Burton in Big Trouble In Little China -- he thinks he's a bad ass but is frequently in over his head.

Then he became 'the best at what he does'.

Fortunately I stopped reading before he kept on getting better and better at what he does until he became Captain Scarlet.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 3  

And now we have two movies that adapt JB's work - "Dark Phoenix Saga" and "Days of Future Past".
•••••••••

Sadly, it's more butchered than adapted.... hardly a glimmer of respect or admiration for the source material in my opinion.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 4  

Peter, I love the Big Trouble analogy and agree that Wolverine was a better character always diving into the deep end of the pool.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wolverine in some aspects mirrors what I have said about the early days of my own career -- that it took me about five years to become an overnight success. So, too, with Wolverine.

Too few today remember, it seems, how the character was utterly rejected by so many fans when he joined the X-Men. The most common response was that they wanting Logan gone and Hank McCoy back. The very features which would later define his stardom were what seemed to turn off these readers.

(I have noted, too, how very much fandom changed in a very short time. Fans who did not like Wolverine wanted him to LEAVE. Just a few years later, the same negative reaction to Kitty Pryde generated a flood of mail from people who wanted her to DIE. The shadow of Phoenix, no doubt. Death had become "popular".)

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

Wolverine was pretty huge with all the kids in my neighborhood by 1982-83.  Granted, this is no scientific sample and it may have been a bandwagon thing but everybody (but DC me) was reading X-Men and any kid who had the Miller miniseries was lucky.  And yes, it really seemed to be during the Smith era.

I didn't care for Smith at first but have grown to really love his work (except Maddy who looked nothing like Jean) and can't believe his run was so short (9 1/2 issues? Simonson did issue 171) as it seemed to go on indefinitely. But Cockrum/Byrne/Smith/Romita Jr. are just one great run of stories for me. 

And when I did read Marvel, Wolverine was never my guy.  Kitty Pryde and Rogue, always my favorites.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

…except Maddy who looked nothing like Jean…

••

How well I remember glancing thru her introductory issue, coming to that last page, and wondering what the heck was going on.

That, of course, is a prime example of the "This-Is-How-I-Do-It!" approach I mentioned earlier. For that scene to work it was vital Maddy look like a Cockrum/Byrne Jean, yet she did not. Paul didn't even give her the same hair style.

Really had me flashing back to those days when Dave was redrawing the X-Men any time I had them in a guest appearance, like TEAM-UP or IRON FIST. Somewhere along the line, drawing on-model became passe.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB, redrawing characters in books to stay on-model was something rather common long ago in comics, but did you or anyone you knew of ever take offense? No need to name names, but circumstances or other details would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yeah, that scene threw me, too.

Who could possibly make the snap-association to Jean Grey with
Pryor looking, well, nothing like her.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

...going to the model sheet-- it's interesting to see how on-model JB tried to stay.

Paul Smith must have had something else in mind.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version