Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: There’s stupid and then there’s... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 1  

That's where I grew up. Actually graduated from Kennesaw State University. In a town where gun ownership is mandatory this happens. So much for the 'guns prevent massacres' theory. I hope nobody I know is dead.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 2  

…a town where gun ownership is mandatory…

••

…and government tramples all over the rights of the people!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 3  

From the article: "People in Europe feel they need to be protected by the government. People in the U.S. feel they need to be protected from the government," said Jones, the owner of a .357-caliber Magnum.

...so they have government pass a law that forces people to buy guns in a measure to help protect people from the government. Do they also burn their money to protect it from being stolen?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 4  

We, the People already HAVE protection against the government. It's called "voting." Unfortunately, too many are too lazy to get up off their fat asses and USE that power.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

said Jones, the owner of a .357-caliber Magnum.

Certainly he realizes the only government a 357 will protect him from is the local high school student government.

But he makes an example about being people being afraid. Afraid of the government, afraid of minorities, afraid of your neighbour. Afraid of someone taking your stuff. A big part of why there are so many guns is that people who are afraid want security, and they feel guns give them that. And the US news media, regardless of channel or political bent, does nothing but feed that fear. 

And out of the 31,000 or so firearm related deaths in the US in 2010, 19,000 were suicides. Out of the remaning 11,000 who were killed, 55% were african americans, 17% hispanics. Which means 18% of about 1/3rd of the firearm deaths are white/other. I'm not saying race definitely plays a part of this this, but if more white people were being murdered with guns, do you think there would probably have been a change by now?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

And out of the 31,000 or so firearm related deaths in the US in 2010, 19,000 were suicides. Out of the remaning 11,000 who were killed, 55% were african americans, 17% hispanics. Which means 18% of about 1/3rd of the firearm deaths are white/other. I'm not saying race definitely plays a part of this this, but if more white people were being murdered with guns, do you think there would probably have been a change by now?

••

Again, I go back to Sandy Hook (which was, after all, "just down the road" from me). If that slaughter of innocents didn't change the NRA -- except, possibly, to make them MORE insane -- of cause the politicians at Federal, State and City level to grow spines, nothing ever will.

Most of the time, the massacres are predominantly of White people (in this country), so the race of the victims isn't an issue. The gun fetish is what is the real problem.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 7  

From the thread title, this seemed the only appropriate place to post this, otherwise, submitted without comment.  Because I'm kinda speechless:   http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-zombie-apoc alypse-florida-bill-20140430,0,2194806.htmlstory#axzz30Sz5MO FL

Edited to add:  Yes, I realize it's a sort of protest thing.  But if it becomes a law, it might make Florida look silly (er).

Edited by Conrad Teves on 01 May 2014 at 6:37am

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Most of the time, the massacres are predominantly of White people (in this country)

True, but speaking from say, the perspective of some hardcore gun nut who is at WAR against the war on guns, those tragedies are fairly infrequent and could be considered collateral damage considering the hundreds of other gun related homicides that take place nation wide on a daily basis. It would take a Sandy Hook every week for two months for those guys to finally concede change, because certainly those hundreds of poor and minorities killing each other off before the 11 o'clock news hits doesn't mean anything to them.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

Exchange student shot for trespassing in garage: LINK

The shooter left the garage door open to encourage trespassers...

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

Americans are going to really have to take to the streets en masse 
to handle this problem; NRA is "too big to fail" as far as the politicians
are concerned.

It's up to the leverage of united citizens to make the change.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

"your dead kids don’t trump my Constitutional rights"

As despicable as that statement is, at least one of the pro-gun crowd is finally honest about it.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version