Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN "Days of Future Past" - Cameos, Authorship, and More (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

A friend informs me that the Wykeepeedya, in its ongoing efforts to get everything wrong, lists Chris, and only Chris, as the "writer" of the original story.

...sigh...

Back to Top profile | search

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

My plan remains to avoid DOFP and the upcoming FF reboot like both movies plan to do me physical harm.  

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

My plan remains to avoid DOFP and the upcoming FF reboot like both movies plan to do me physical harm.

My list includes Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Hopeman vs. Batman.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

Oh, dog, how I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE that "hope" thing. Its so f**king FANNISH!!!!!

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

A friend informs me that the Wykeepeedya, in its ongoing efforts to get everything wrong, lists Chris, and only Chris, as the "writer" of the original story.

+++++++++

I just looked, it listed Chris Claremont and John Byrne as writers.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

Ha! Corrected since my post, I wonder? Lets see long it takes the idiot squad to UNcorrect it!

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yep. I just checked the revision history. It was just corrected.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

I am worried that people outside of this forum don't know that the Claremont-Byrne "co-plotters" credit is akin to the "Lennon-McCartney" songwriting credit.  Some were collaborations, some were by one of them, some were the other -- but all of them were shared credit to the public.  JB and CC should be free to acknowledge who did what just as Lennon and McCartney did after the Beatles broke up.

We know JB plotted "Days of Future Past" on his own, but many people don't.  Chris Claremont should be more forthright about being the scripter when talking about the story, but he's not and that is life.  It's kind of bizarre that he's not more candid about this one -- there's really no reason to grab other's credit when he is responsible for so many other wonderful stories.

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 9  

With all the publicity the movie is generating, I certainly hope CC takes the opportunity to set the record straight and give JB proper credit.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 10  

Pretty much every article I see seems to say DOFP was written by CC with no mention of JB at all.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 11  

JB, it would have been nice if they'd invited you if only to give you the satisfaction of telling them exactly why you weren't interested.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 12  

Pretty much every article I see seems to say DOFP was written by CC with no mention of JB at all.

••

Which is frustrating, since the credits list me as co-plotter. (Curiously, I am given full plotting credit on the previous issues, with Wendigo.)

Of course, as has been discussed many times in this Forum, there are people out there who would describe themselves as avid comicbook fans, but who do not understand how the "Marvel Method" of plot>pencils>script worked. The assumption is that everything was done full script, and I, as penciler, was merely drawing what Chris told me to draw.

I've been convinced for years that stories of my "giant ego" had their beginnings in this. Attending conventions -- which I did frequently in those years -- I would invariably find myself talking with fans who praised what Chris was doing, this "bit" or that "bit," and when appropriate I would say "No, that was mine." Eventually I would hear it bubbling back to me that "Byrne is always trying to take credit away from Claremont!"

It became a standard joke, from me, that blood fairly gushed from stones, compared with the ease with which Chris gave or shared credit!

A "classic" example was the creation of Kitty Pryde. As most -- tho not all, even after so many years -- know, Kitty was entirely my creation. Her look, her name, her powers, her backstory. All mine. (Chris made her a "genius," which was actually contrary to what I wanted her to be.)* When the character proved popular, Chris mentioned in the lettercol that "we knew Kitty was a fun character when we created her." Seeing this, I called him up and, using the punchline to an old joke about the Lone Ranger and Tonto, said "What you meanum 'we,' White Man?"

One positive aspect to come out of all this, mind you, was that it created in me almost an obsession about credit where credit is due, not just for myself but for everyone. This created a point of contention between Chris and me, as he would insist on listing himself in the credits as "author" while Terry and I were "inker" and "penciler" respectively. Time and again I argued that Chris was the scripter, or, generously, the writer, but all three of us were the "author."

Go flip thru the issues of X-MEN Chris and I worked on. The credits alone tell a story, for those who have the key!

* This is one of many examples where Chris' "contribution" is in the dialog only, not in the pictures. If it had been my intent that Kitty be a "genius," I would have filled her room with science fair trophies. But I wanted her to be completely and utterly ordinary, until the powers came along.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version