Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Byrne/Aparo on Batman (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 1  

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/

[I have no link or affiliation to this website]

<*Typo -- no glasses on>

Edited by John OConnor on 05 June 2014 at 8:50am
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 2  

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2014/06/byrne- ing-to-readamazed-by-aparo-in.html

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 3  

By the way, in answer to the bloggers question about the first official limited series:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
World of Krypton

Also, JB inked by Aparo was, IMO, perfection when it came to Batman.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 4  

Was very excited for this series.... seeing JB drawing a BATMAN series for the first time.... unfortunately, he was unable to complete the remaining issues. (not his fault i hear.) 

Still, Aparo and JB together was a nice blend of artistry.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 05 June 2014 at 10:59am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

…unfortunately, he was unable to complete the remaining issues. (not his fault i hear.)

••

In case there's anyone who doesn't know the story...

While in attendance at the Chicago Con in July of 1979, I heard this series was in the pipeline, and scooted over to the DC table to make myself available, if they still needed an artist. Since I was riding high on the crest of X-MEN at that time (even if the sales did not reflect it!), it was something of a coup for DC to get me, even for a miniseries.

However, I explained to them that I had only a very narrow window, about three months, in which I could work on this project. Since it was slated to be three issues, I didn't see that as any sort of problem, provided the plots were delivered in a timely manned. This was agreed to by DC, and back I went to Calgary, after the end of the con, to wait for the first plot.

And wait

And wait.

And wait.

Almost two full months went by, and the first plot showed up in my mailbox. I was mightily ticked off, of course, but this was BATMAN! Somehow I would make it work.

I completed the full pencils (not loose breakdowns as DC would later report) for the first issue, and sent them in. I waited for the second plot.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Another two months went by, and I received a call from the editor saying the first HALF of the second plot would be on its way to me by the end of the week. "Don't bother," I said, and reminded them that I had already stretched far beyond that three month window. Now, if I tried to finish the series -- still two full issues to be drawn, remember -- it would screw up my other deadlines.

And it didn't end there. When I had expressed interest in doing the series, DC had told me there was no way that could match my Marvel rate. I said okay, anyway. It was BATMAN! Now, since I had said I could not finish the job because they had let me down at their end, the Head Honcho of the time called me up and offered me DOUBLE my Marvel rate if I would finish. Insult added to injury. "I'd need more days in the week," I said, "not more money."

DC hired Jim Aparo to ink the first issue, and finish the rest. They couldn't leave it at that, tho. They reported that Aparo had been called in to work over my "very loose breakdowns." But they blew it there. Terry Austin had been scheduled to ink the series, and he'd already been sent pages of the first issue. He knew what I had turned in was exactly the kind of finished pencils I was doing on X-MEN.

It was a long time after that before I got any urge to work for DC again.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

That's the story i remember you telling, JB. Unfortunate that DC Editorial acted so unprofessional.... some things never change!!!

I've foten said how awesome it would be to see some of the penciled pages to that first issue as well as the house ad at a decent size!

A rare thing i suppose!

-C!

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

Would've been nice to see Terry Austin's inks over JB's pencils on this
project, but I love the Byrne/Aparo combo.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

I have this in 3 versions, the the regular comics, a digest size paperback edition in B/W, and 3 mini comics that came out of a cereal box I'm told.

I also heard there were cassette dramatizations of this.

Edit. There were and they're on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMaW2cpMwmc

Edited by Conner Dinkins on 05 June 2014 at 4:44pm

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

We could have had three issues of Byrne/Austin Batman!? I think I might cry at that lost opportunity.

Nice to hear that the mini-series is going to be reprinted soon, I guess in the Batman by Len Wein book. I was planning to get it anyways, but nice to know some royalty money will be going to JB.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

JB, was Aparo inking your work some consolation? The combination was amazing!

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

I did love that JB/Aparo combo, just a beautiful team. Two favorites for the price of one.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 12  

The audio version was originally done for the BBC(which, to this day, still airs radio dramas in the afternoon).

I believe UNTOLD LEGEND...was DC's first miniseries that was supposed to be a miniseries; the one that Kevin Inviso-texted was planned as three issues of SHOWCASE in the summer of 1978, before that book died in the 'DC Implosion'(and also before a change in the release date for a certain blockbuster movie).

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 06 June 2014 at 11:47am

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version