Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: QWERTY Keyboard (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

I struggle when I go to Hungary as they move a couple of letters - I think it's the Y and Z are moved.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2014 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Here in France we have the famous AZERTY
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 3  

James Woodcock: I struggle when I go to Hungary as they move a couple of letters - I think it's the Y and Z are moved.

----------------------------------

Had the same when I went to Turkey last year - lower-case 'i' is a different key to upper-case (located where @ is on my UK keyboard*). Ended up throwing in the towel, and writing all my e-maIls with a bunch of capItal letters In them, because It was easIer than constantly havIng to compensate. Really, really jarring!

*...which I point out, because US keyboards are different, with @ and " being swapped over - I've been to a couple of places where @ is on the same key as 2, and it throws my touch-typing no end when it comes to quotations and e-mail addresses...

Edited by Rick Shepherd on 23 July 2014 at 6:40am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2014 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 4  

…lower-case 'i' is a different key to upper-case …

••

THAT is just crazy!!

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2014 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 5  

I have a German typewriter in the basement, (I don't know how) it has the QWERTY layout with ü and ß keys to the right of the p and ä and ö right of the l.  It does raise the question of whether this layout is equally well-suited (or equally ill-suited) to other languages.  It also raises the thought of a Russian keyboard with QWERTY layout and Cyrillic keys surrounding it on all sides!

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 6  

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead mentioning voice recognition. Who knows how far we are from thought recognition?

Not as crazy as it first sounds, I'll bet.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 7  

Thought recognition is going to cause all sorts of problems with search histories on the Internet! I know my mind can wander...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2014 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Tonight's the night I shall be talking about of flu the subject of word association football. This is a technique out a living much used in the practice makes perfect of psychoanalysister and brother and one that has occupied piper the majority rule of my attention squad by the right number one two three four the last five years to the memory. It is quite remarkable baker charlie how much the miller's son this so-called while you were out word association immigrants' problems influences the manner from heaven in which we sleekit cowering timrous beasties all-American Speke, the famous explorer. And the really well that is surprising partner in crime is that a lot and his wife of the lions feeding time we may be c d e effectively quite unaware of the fact or fiction section of the Watford Public Library that we are even doing it is a far, far better thing that I do now then, now then, what's going onward Christian Barnaard the famous hearty part of the lettuce now praise famous mental homes for loonies like me. So on the button, my contention causing all the headaches, is that unless we take into account of Monte Cristo in our thinking George the Fifth this phenomenon the other hand we shall not be able satisfact or fiction section of the Watford Public Library againily to understand to attention when I'm talking to you and stop laughing, about human nature, man's psychological make-up some story the wife'll believe and hence the very meaning of life itselfish bastard, I'll kick him in the Ball's Pond Road."

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Had the same when I went to Turkey last year - lower-case
'i' is a different key to upper-case"

That's because Turkish has two "I"s - one dotted, one not,
in both upper and lower case. The "i" is a long "e" sound,
where as the undotted "I" is more of an "uh" sound.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version