Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: All Dinosaurs may have had feathers. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 1  

The "mutant rhinoceros" Triceratops certainly looked odd when I first saw that picture years ago. How, then, could they explain the spines and knobs on the edges of the frills of some of these creatures (Styracosaurus, for instance)? I'm willing to accept that the ceratopsid dinosaurs needed a bit more muscle to support those heavy heads of theirs, but this seems to have taken that to an extreme. Still, JB made a point a while back with those modern animal skeletons, as we know that virtually none of the soft tissues of most animals will be fossilized after they die.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 2  

I have to admit that I really want the T-Rex to have looked like the version in Jurassic Park.

••

A term I came across a while back, describing traditional restorations, is "shrink wrapped." Those scarifying dinos in old movies like KING KING or VALLEY OF GWANGI, or in Life magazine ---- they had virtually no muscles, no lips, no external ears. Yet we really don't know. T-Rex could have had big floppy years like a beagle!

Back to Top profile | search

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 3  

John Byrne wrote:
Yet we really don't know. T-Rex could have had big floppy years like a beagle!

…Aaaaand that's every T-Rex story likely to reduce me to helpless giggles from now on.

Edit to add: Gah. Just realized I was mentally picturing a basset hound, not a beagle, after a hilariously funny encounter with a basset on a beach a few years ago. (Seriously: basset hound on a beach. Brilliant.)

Edited by J W Campbell on 29 July 2014 at 8:09am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version