Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Mile High Comics May No Longer Attend SDCC (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

We often talk about how publishers don't seem to understand their
own market. How they eat their young, etc.

For that, in other places, you read how, we're just a bunch of aging
fanboys how don't understand the current business model.

Something to that effect any way.

Well, something like this, while I enjoy a good "I told you so!" actually
makes me sad. What does an industry do when it slits the throat of
one of it's biggest retailers at its largest trade show in the world?

Link

Edited by Stephen Churay on 27 July 2014 at 4:55pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William T. Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

A friend of mine moved to Denver some years ago and visited one of Rozanski's shops. He was disgusted to find that some new issues that had just come out that week had already been bagged, boarded, and being sold for as much as 4x the cover price. (This would've been around 92-93) He ended up living there about 3 years or so and never spent a dime at Mile High because of that.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

SDCC hasn't been a comic book trade show for more than a decade now.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 4  

NYCC is following in SDCC footsteps.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

Yeah, he's trying to pin the blame on publishers, when the fact is that the scope of SDCC has changed and the market has changed. There are plenty of shows that attract people still interested in the back issue market. SDCC is not one of them.

A sizable portion of the attendees are more interested in the TV, movie, video game, and collectible aspects of the convention. Even with the actual comic fans, between the hectic online registration process and the sheer size and crowding of the con, SDCC favors a younger, tech savvy crowd who'd probably be more interested in digital comics, trade paperbacks, or hardcovers. Having a seven booth display devoted to back issues at SDCC is just ridiculous.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was told by a friend that attended SDCC a few years ago that Mile High didn't actually have a regular stand selling comics at the show, but computer terminals where you could order from the store online. I've never been to SDCC, but if that is true, it doesn't sound like Mile High was worth checking out at the show anyway. If I want to order online, I don't need to go to a show to do it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

I can't imagine anyone going to SDCC these days to dig through back issue bins. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

I can't imagine anyone going to SDCC these days to dig through back issue bins. 

```````````````
A big part of my motivation for attending the NYCC was to go through back issue bins. So If I were to ever go to SDCC the back issue bins would be a point of interest as well. The event maybe so much more than what the name implies but it is still called a Comic Con. 

They should change the name if they don't want comic books there.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

There are still plenty of people buying back issues at SDCC.  It's always the most profitable show of the year for my dealer buddies.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

Anthony wrote:
...They should change the name if they don't want comic books there...

Amen!!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

Chuck's point of view is that he is now competing against the publishers themselves for the customer's dollar, and they're offering limited-time-only exclusives to which the retailers don't have access. The customers are therefore spending their time and money over at the publisher's booths and have nothing left for the rest of dealers there. Why go when the people who provide your product decide to skip the middleman (you) and make a mint selling specially-created items only they can provide. As a customer, are you going to spend your time and money tracking down that elusive Meet Angel #7, which theoretically could be had anywhere at any time, or are you going to wait in line for that one-of-a-kind Batman exclusive available nowhere else? Especially when you could turn around and sell said exclusive on eBay to all those unlucky folks who didn't get to the SDCC this year?

(By the way, I really need a copy of Meet Angel #7, if anyone has one they're not using... This year's Batman exclusive, whatever it is, I can probably do without. :-)) (Oh, hey look. Double chin. :-))

Ironically, this is exactly the sort of thing that would happen in a direct-sales environment, which was something Chuck himself championed back in the day. Chuck has written extensively on how he and Phil Seuling got together and set up the Direct Sales Market. (!) Eliminate the number of divisions between the publishers and the public, effectively turning the publishers into sellers, and they will find a way to reduce that number of steps just a little bit more, eliminating you.

Back in the day when I worked for Mile High, Chuck used to hire new staff at the start of the summer when the kids were out of school and therefore had more free time and capital to spend on comics. Then after an inevitably disappointing San Diego, he'd fire them all. I wonder if that hiring ramp-up still takes place or if orders have leveled out over the year now that kids and their summer vacations aren't a significant factor in sales. Does the dreaded Purge of the Gumbies (as new hires were once semi-affectionately known) still take place then? I should call someone down there and ask... If so, this year should be a bloodbath.

Edited by Brian Hague on 27 July 2014 at 11:01pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 12  

Brian wrote:
...Eliminate the number of divisions between the publishers and the public, effectively turning the publishers into sellers, and they will find a way to reduce that number of steps just a little bit more, eliminating you...

Yep. Marvel and DC, in particular, would love all the fans to go digital, too. That way they wouldn't have to deal with retailers, at all.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version