Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Is this guy for real? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 1  

Yes, Believers often imagine a world thrown into chaos, should the evil atheists win. There would be no rules!! Yet such believers often -- always? -- skip over the fact (frequently cited here) that many of the "Rules of Faith" are barbaric in the extreme, and a world lived by those rules would be a bloody and unpleasant place indeed!
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 2  

when in fact her instructors encouraged her to question her faith and the faiths of others.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is true of the catholic school I attended as well.

``````````````````
 as she had built her own version of Catholocism out of her experiences with a few good nuns and priests growing up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 That describes how it was for me as a kid. 
When I became a teenager and began questioning faith. The priests and nuns at my school said it was good to question faith. My search for the truth lead me away because I discovered those experiences I had were tainted with lies by those same priests and nuns. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 3  

Questioning faith should lead any rational person away from that faith. That is so often does not speaks of the enormous power of the brainwashing involved.

Bryan Norwood
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 4  

... the enormous power of the brainwashing involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The brainwashing is powerful indeed, so much so that my first knee jerk reaction when hearing anti-christian comments is often defensive, even though I now agree with the comment. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged | 5  

I believe the Bible prevented that by saying that if you suicide you don't go to Heaven. They have (almost) everything figured out.

++++

Yes, the one thing the Bible was able to prevent. But then I never know what rules from the Bible Christians actually follow. Most just insist that they follow enough of them to get themselves into Heaven. One guy told me with a straight face that it says in the Bible that Jesus promised him a seat in Heaven and by golly he's going to be sitting in it. Good for him.

Edited by Eric White on 30 July 2014 at 12:52am

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 3:13am | IP Logged | 6  

Eric White wrote:
One guy told me with a straight face that it says in the Bible that Jesus promised him a seat in Heaven and by golly he's going to be sitting in it.

He's right, the Bible specifically states that you can call shotgun and Jesus will honor your right to sit in the passenger seat of his car when you reach Heaven.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 7  

You don't want to be without a seat when this game of musical chairs ends!

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 8  

"Riding Shotgun with Jesus!" That needs to be a country song.

Edited by Byron Graham on 30 July 2014 at 5:07am

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 9  

This video is just what we know exists through our exploration of the stars. I am always amazed that there are people who see something like this and cite it as proof of a god. That there is a grand design and somehow we are the centre and pinnacle of it all.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 10  

I think that baptism/christening should take place when you're old enough to understand what is happening (an adult maybe). I think that would solve the indoctrination issue to a certain extent but, of course, that is the reason why that it happen.

Now who do I see about getting excommunicated.... is being gay enough?

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 11  

I am always amazed that there are people who see something like this and cite it as proof of a god. That there is a grand design and somehow we are the centre and pinnacle of it all.

I've never quite gotten that argument - that because we exist, there must be a creator...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 12  

I've never quite gotten that argument - that because we exist, there must be a creator...

••

For our primitive ancestors it was a "logical" extrapolation from the world they saw around them. They made things -- pots, clothing, weapons, huts, etc -- so surely "somebody" must have made the rest of it -- mountains, oceans, themselves.

In the "childhood" of humankind, this worked very well. It made the thunder and lightning more comprehensible, and therefore less terrifying. And, of course, it allowed us to cast ourselves as the pinnacle of the creator's work.

But you know, the Bible itself has something to say about that.

1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version