Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Is this guy for real? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 1  

I came across this on the web and the first thing that came to mind was if this guy is taken serious in the US.
I honestly don't know how Americans react to this man's ideas but come on, USA are one of the most advanced nations in the world, I can understand some more conservatives and religious views of the world/universe but this?!? It's like a comedy act! Is there anybody out there that agrees with this with a straight face??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkEtCunmFeU

Edited by Armindo Macieira on 28 July 2014 at 4:14am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 2  

Some people take him VERY seriously.

Sleep soundly, America!

Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 3  

Ah yes, the man behind the Creation Museum!

It must so simple, boiling every answer in the universe down to whether it was written in the Bible or not. Because at the time it was written, they had it all figured out. Like where the Sun went at night.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 4  

A major Red Flag when talking to people who take this sort of guy seriously is when they announce that Science is just another form of "believing" or another form of religion.  They literally cannot see the difference between a self-adjusting tool for finding out what we don't know from a system of unfounded dogma that by it's nature is immune to logic.

The mental box they are in shapes all other ideas to fit the box, like a liquid filling a container.  Pour in some Science, and see?  It's shaped just like Religion.

One of my favorite lines from NuBSG is when Six points out to Gaius, "You have an amazing capacity for self-deception.  How do you do that?"
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 5  

The sad thing is, most of these True Believers are not deceiving THEMSELVES. They have been deceived, from childhood, by parents and other such authority figures who were themselves deceived from childhood.

Brainwashing is a powerful tool, especially when the brains involved are young and have no concept of the World other than what they are told. Most of us believed in Santa Claus, once upon a time, right?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 6  

Most of us believed in Santa Claus, once upon a time, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't like where you're going with this,John. @

`````````````````

The sad thing is, most of these True Believers are not deceiving THEMSELVES. They have been deceived, from childhood, by parents and other such authority figures who were themselves deceived from childhood.

~~~~~~~~~~

There's nothing like a good ol catholic school brainwashing. Nothings better to cleanse the soul of evil and the brain of common sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 7  

I remember getting in trouble once in school. I asked one of my teachers. Who was a nun. Why they were teaching us about science. After all it's catholic school. 

She didn't understand what I meant. When I told her that science was a contradiction to religion. Her response was god created everything so god created science. 

My response was the bible said god created the world in seven days. But science proves that's not true. So If god created science. That proves that the bible was wrong about god creating the world in seven days. Her response was god did create the world in seven days. It's a matter of faith. 

My response was a quote from Miracle on 34th street.
'Faith is believing in something when common sense tells you not to' Do you believe in Santa Claus, Sister Mary Ann? I got sent to the principle's office. Right before I received a gentle paddling  my defense was  God made me this way ;)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 8  

…my defense was God made me this way…

••

A few years ago, I met a Christian minister who was one half of a Gay couple. Being me, I asked him how he could belong to, and even actively endorse, a "club" that labelled his partner and himself "abominations" and ordered their execution.

With a perfectly straight face, he said "God made me what I am."

I walked away, knowing there was nothing of value to be derived from any further conversation.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 9  

Most of us believed in Santa Claus, once upon a time, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't like where you're going with this,John. @

••

Oh, I've gone there many times! And without being snarky!

I point to the similarities between Jesus and Santa. Both "magical" beings, connected to the same holiday, about whom we learn from the authority figures in our lives -- parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, the media. We sing songs about them, read stories (even comic books!) about them, see movies and TV shows about them. And we are assured that both are absolutely real.

Then, one day, there comes a point when we are told one of them is NOT real, and that in order to be "grown up" we must abandon our belief in him. Effectively, we are told those authority figures have been lying to us.

But the kicker is, the one we are told is NOT real, is the one we have actually MET!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 10  

I point to the similarities between Jesus and Santa. Both "magical" beings,
~~~~~~~~~~~
I've done the same thing. Most often with a friend who is a Jehovah's witness. It never ends well. 

~~~~
But the kicker is, the one we are told is NOT real, is the one we have actually MET!
`````
Another point i've made is at least with this myth. We know it was based in some part on a real person. 

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 11  

JB>>Then, one day, there comes a point when we are told one of them is NOT real<<

And, doubtless, a shattered world-view is why it's so traumatic:

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 12  

When parents and teachers deliberately weave religion into the very
fabric of a person while they're growing up, is it any wonder then that
accepting the notion that there is no God would tear them apart. It
takes more courage than most can muster to face that reality.

It's like that quote from the movie Wall Street: "Man looks in the abyss,
there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his
character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version