Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: NOW It’s 100 Years (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 1  

My grandfather, born 1897, fought in World War 1. He served with Harry Truman. My father met the former president at a  reunion when he was a boy; Truman signed a napkin for Dad, who kept it for the rest of his life.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 2  

My great-grandfather, born 1891, served in both WW1 and WW11. When I was a kid our neighbour was Charles Rutherford, a VC recipient, and one of Canada's most decorated soldiers. He used to bring us cookies and honeycomb to snack on.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 3  

My grandfathers were too young, but my paternal grandfather's older brother fought, and I had (sob! "had"!) many other relatives who did too.

Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

My grandfather and my uncle both tried to enlist but since they were farmers, they were not allowed to join up. i met a few WW1 vets when I was in the Army, on Remembrance Day. They used to show up at the Legion. 

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

My great-grandfather was there. He died in the early 1980s. He was a medic in the war and never talked about it, not to me or my father or, as far as I know, to my grandfather. Those tight leggings they wore irritated his skin so much that he didn't grow hair on his lower legs for the rest of his life. 

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2014 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

This is an old news item, but I found it fascinating when I first saw it a couple of years ago...

Preserved trenches uncovered

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 04 August 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 7  

The Guns of August is a good read on this topic. Very much enjoyed it.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2014 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

My maternal grandfather was born in what was then Hungary (Timisoara, I'm pretty sure) (now a part of Romania) in 1908 and came to the U.S. in 1927 on the
S.S. President Harding. Too young to serve in the Great War and by the time WWII came around, was married and had 2 daughters (my aunt was born in the
30's and my mom was born during the war).

To his dying day, if you asked him where he was from, he would say "Hungary". No interest in being "Romanian".

My paternal grandfather was born in the Ukraine in 1912 and I think they arrived in the U.S. in 1915? I never knew him, he died shortly before my father
turned 13.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2014 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

Will have to check out THE GUNS OF AUGUST.

Any other book suggestions? Thanks.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

My sister-in-law is from Bosnia. This is a marker that is across the street from where she lived. It is the location where the assassination took place.

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2014 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 11  

My grandfather was in both WW1 and WW2.  I lived far from him growing up but have heard stories about him from my father.  He died aged 98 in 1994.

My mother's grandfather was a child during the American Civil War and he had siblings who fought in the war.  She used to get told stories of that war - which she has told me.  She thinks she may have met, as a young child, friends of her grandfather's who fought in the war.

As 100 years comes upon WW1, it casts a huge shadow over the direct connections of those living to witness these iconic moments in human history.  Just as no one living today was alive to witness the Civil War, very few are left with us who were alive to witness WW1 -- with time, those who knew the participants first hand grow old and pass, too - the distance - the shadow of time - becoming greater.  My parents are both 80 - my mother barely having a first hand connection to the Civil War.

I am 43.  I've met many WW1 soldiers as a child, but they were old men.  I've heard first hand the stories of Galipoli and ANZAC Cove.  But the voices of these stories are all gone now and my children are left with just the books and video files.   In a blink, the shadow will grow even longer past WW2.

Jay Schimel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 12  

My claim to fame is that my great grandfather was a guard for the Archduke Ferdinand before he came to America. Incredible he wasn't shot when he obviously didn't do his job. Lucky for me or I wouldn't have been born!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version