Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Teen Tournament on JEOPARDY (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 1  

JB, you hit it on the head with this thread. I saw that on Jeopardy the other night too and I of course blurted out the question four words into Alex reading the answer. Comics have lost the youth, maybe for good.

BTW, Jeopardy has WAY too many Bible categories. Give me word origins, music, or any kind of funky wordplay category and I'm happy.
Back to Top profile | search

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 2  

My friend's sister in law is a grade school teacher, and one day she kept hammering home the point that her students knew the X Men from cartoon, not the comics. A wasted effort, since my friend was well aware that ten year ols stopped reading comics a long time ago.
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

When I was a kid comics were everywhere. You could pester your parents to buy one (and they usually did because they were fairly cheap and kept us quiet) to buy one just about everywhere. If you don't go to a comic shop regularly, you're SOL as far as even rudimentary knowledge of comics.

When the ageing fanboys start dying off, the industry will be forced to either change or disappear, at least the industry as we know it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm wondering how well the types of kids that make it onto the Jeopardy! Teen Tournaments fare in pop-culture categories in general, though.  It feels like that's a group that's similar to the kids that do really well in the National Spelling Bee, with a very intense focus on academics.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if these kids or their parents didn't want to "waste" time watching superhero movies or non-educational television.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

Even with all the movies the X-MEN are mostly anonymous other than Wolverine.  Wolverine is the "star" of the team and has also been played by the same actor in all the films and had his own films.  The rest of the team is identified as "the guy with the eye beams"*, "the metal guy" and stuff like that.  I would guess Professor X and Magneto are the next most recognizable characters. 

*or worse....lasers....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version