Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Teen Tournament on JEOPARDY (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

Here, not in TV, as I think what I just saw speaks to the future of the whole industry.

Three teens could not provide "X-Men" as the "question" to an "answer" about the UNITED movie.

The girl guessed the Avengers, the boys had nothing.

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 2  

My seventeen year old son is interested in Batman, but almost solely due to Batman related video games and the Christian Bale movies.  I have tried giving him comics to read, but they aren't as interesting to him.  His favorite Marvel Character is Captain America, again because of the movies.  He can't be entertained sufficiently to sit down and read an actual Captain America comic book.  (He DID go through my Trade of the Simon/Kirby 1941 Original Captain America Comics 1-10 but complained that it was not like the movie).

My 15 year old boys and my 11 year old girls have little to no interest in comics. They will go to the movies, but they aren't even as excited as my 17 year old is.

It appears to be a dying forum as to the younger generation.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

It could still work if the companies (Marvel/DC) wanted it to work.  It's different if things are marketed to kids than if their uncle (or whatever old person in their life) tries to get them to like something. 

Kids will play superhero games, watch superhero movies, play with superhero toys and wear superhero clothes....they would read comics if they were targeted by the companies. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

Though I noticed they had no problems in the Bible category.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

Though I noticed they had no problems in the Bible category.

See?  It's all in the marketing!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

I've noticed an increased interest in comics among the 3rd and 4th grade students at the school I work at. Avengers and Batman are by far the favorites. If you'd have told me in the '90s that in 20 years Avengers would be more popular than the X-Men I would not have believed it. The Avengers barely survived the '90s!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

I work at a school, and I am always surprised to find out the cultural reference point for young people.  But when you do the math it kind of makes sense.  X2: X-MEN UNITED is from 2003, which feels like last week to me, but today's mainstream teens may not have seen it at all because it's now eleven years old.   It's also not a movie that parents pass on to their kids.  As lauded as it was on release, it's like most of Singer's work in that it doesn't hold up over time and isn't talked about much in popular culture.

At most, today's teens have probably seen the two Wolverine solo movies, FIRST CLASS, and DAYS OF FUTURE PAST.  FIRST CLASS is now the reference point and will take over the movie franchise.  The only X-Men they would know from the original trilogy is Wolverine.

I predict the current Marvel movies will have stronger staying power than the early X-Men films.  The current movies can stand on their own, but are still connected to previous releases.  And these are movies that parents WILL pass onto their kids.  Marvel has achieved that rare accomplishment of making good movies that families can enjoy together.  And all because they are echoing the best of the source material!  The Marvel movies feel like Marvel comic books, while the X-Men movies never really crossed that threshold.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 12:54am | IP Logged | 8  

At least part of the success of the Singer films was the popularity of the X-Men due to the Fox animated series that ran through the 90s. For teens today, they had X-MEN: EVOLUTION which ended 11 years ago and WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN, which ran for a single season on Nickelodeon's sister station Nicktoons, which at the time had far less penetration than similar stations like Disney XD. 

For the current crop of teens, I'd expect far more familiarity with Spider-Man and the Avengers.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm not sure many people would choose X-MEN to UNITED. It's a single film from a fair few years ago now.

Teens don't know any films more than five years ago, by and large. certainly, superhero movies seem to be a merge to them. For instance, one teenager 'spoiled' WINTER SOLDIER to me saying the Red Skull was the main bad guy. Didn't have a clue who Bucky was in the first film.

Films are enjoyed but then forgotten - people used to think Anakin in the prequels was Luke so it's not limited to comics.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 10  

I think my point is being missed.

There was a time, and not so long ago, when the X-Men dominated the market. Rightly or wrongly, the mutants took over Marvel, and everything was pushed and poked into that framework. And this was WITHOUT "major motion pictures" supporting them.

Now, what seems just a few years later, with PLENTY of motion pictures behind them, the X-Men apparently cannot be picked out of the "lineup" even by a process of elimination. (One must assume the young female contestant knew the Avengers ONLY from the movies, yet she guessed them even tho the "answer" did not match any Avengers or Avengers related movies.)

Here were three young people, once the target audience, without a clue about characters who still cast a long, dark shadow over Marvel. And this has to be because that target audience -- the "new blood" that kept the industry alive -- has been almost entirely lost.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 11  

When the first Singer movie came out, I knew a lot of people in their late teens and early 20s excited to see it. The vast majority had never touched a comic book. It wasn't the comics that informed their awareness of the X-Men, but the cartoon. 

That same situation still exists today, but it's with the Avengers. I have a friend with a 9-year old daughter who would give you a blank stare if you said X-Men, but could tell you all (to her) about Wasp or Black Widow or Ms. Marvel. 

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 12  

The new blood is around age 10 and younger right now. If they can get the material, digital or print, in front of this new blood. There could be a come back.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version