Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: One To Rule Them All (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

Question for JB...

John, have you got a favorite single drawing of any of the characters you've drawn that you always kind of refer back to in your mind when you draw them again? One piece or panel you drew that makes you say, "I still haven't topped that pic of the Hulk", or, "THAT was my ultimate Susan Richards"? 

Are you chasing any Byrne dragons? And, of course, which ones?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 August 2014 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 2  

Interesting question.

As you probably know, since you follow this Forum, I am no great fan of my own work. Every so often I have what I call "damn I'm good!" days, but as can be deduced from the fact that I've named 'em, they don't happen nearly often enough!

There have been occasional moments when all the pieces came together, and I created something I can still look back upon with a smile. A shot of the Thing sitting in the back of a taxi, in FF, for instance, was really the moment when I thought There it is! Fans (even Byrne Bashers) often praise the shot of Doc Samson decking the Hulk, tho that's more about the picture as a whole, rather than my interpretation of the individual characters.

I tend to look at my work differently from how most fans view it, of course. While they might praise something like the "Galactus Falls" shot from FF, I will derive greater satisfaction from the more subtle stuff -- the turn of a wrist, the shift of weight as carried thru the line of the body, etc. (There's a shot of Jasmine in an issue of JBNM, in which her hand I still consider one of the best things I have ever drawn!)

Anywhere close to answering your question?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2014 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 3  

As you probably know, since you follow this Forum, I am no great fan of my own work. Every so often I have what I call "damn I'm good!" days
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As someone who feels the same about their own art. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 August 2014 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 4  

Hey, Anthony, any particular reason you clipped my quote so I seem to be contradicting myself?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version