Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Villains VS Galactus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

I used to like "What if..?" tales back in the day. And one I always hoped they would do was supervillains versus Galactus, the scenario being that, for whatever reason, all the superheroes were incapacitated so it was left for the supervillains to put aside their egos and take on Galactus during his first arrival on Earth.

My idea was always Doctor Doom, Mandarin, Leader, Magneto, Red Skull and Molecule Man being the only characters available to take on the threat. Quite a bit of brains and power between them - but would it be enough to stop Galactus?

Any thoughts? Feel free to assemble your own alliance against Galactus.
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Sadly I can't think of an alliance but your idea seems excellent.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

I see Dr. Doom leading the assault.  Possibly using hitters like Abomination, Hyperion (Squad Sinister), Absorbing Man, Titania etc as cannon fodder.  Manipulate Baron Mordo into attacking on a different level. All the while turning... Graviton? Molecule Man?  X-Ray? into living bombs to use directly.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

Thank you, Andy.

Probably many more powerful ones out there. And some who are very powerful (i.e. Loki) but who would have no desire/interest in saving Earth.

And good choices, Bill!

Edited by Robbie Parry on 26 August 2014 at 5:26pm

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

Sounds like a great Byrne commission!  =0)

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

I definitely think Doom would be the one to spearhead the movement to go up against Galactus, but not for noble reasons. "This world is mine!" and all that.

Apocalypse seems more likely these days, though.

During a recent discussion with some friends about "What If...?" scenarios, I'd come up with one involving a (very) bitter and angry Thor opening up a portal and unleashing Galactus on Asgard to spite Odin. That got us wondering - could Galactus devour something like Asgard? And what would happen if he did?

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

Ronald...I think one of the latest storylines in Thor has Galactus trying to devour Asgard and Odin and Galactus fight him. I haven't read it so I'm not sure how it goes down...I'm pretty sure Galactus plan fails though.

Edited by Jason Larouse on 26 August 2014 at 6:28pm

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh, come on...hahahaaa...wow.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

Well, Asgard isn't exactly a planet. Take "Asgard" to mean all the Nine Worlds and it's not a planet at all.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

I have trouble acknowledging Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, etc having been behind the scenes the whole time. So Doom is the only one to lead the attack. Bill's scenario is pretty good, except that Doom would most certainly arrange to absorb the Power Cosmic from the fallen Galactus. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

In a "What If" reality in which there were no heroes to combat the threat of Galactus, would the Watcher have interceded on behalf of the Earth? Without the Watcher tipping us off as to the Ultimate Nullifier and sending someone to retrieve it, would Galactus have backed down that first time? 

How has he been defeated or dissuaded on other occasions? He would not bargain with the villains, presumably, unless one wanted to write him as incredibly naive. Earth wasn't Galactus' first picnic with talking ants, after all. One would think he's been challenged before. 

Reed's essential good character was a factor in Galactus "talking to his salad" in the first place. That was after he tried offing the FF with bug spray and siccing his cat on them. Okay, more a big, robot-y thing with really fast moving arms, but still, the same principle. 

So how does Doom get Galactus to talk with him and what does he threaten him with to make him go away? Does Doom come up with some means of defeating & presumably killing Galactus that Reed didn't? Is he the smarter one?

Well, no, it would inevitably turn out that killing Galactus was a mistake since he has a place in the cosmos and an ultimate purpose which he would no longer be able to fill. What became of all those continuums in which Abraxas killed the local Galactus in much the same way Magog went around killing all the Earth-2 Supermen he could reach by going back in time one minute sooner each time, killing him, then going back one minute earlier, killing that one, and so on?

Didn't Marvel establish that Galactus' purpose is simply to keep Abraxas at bay and prevent him from manifesting? One character is basically reduced to being the cork in the bottle of an even bigger, more menacing one the writer just thought up, ala' Darkseid and the Cosmic Odyssey take on the Anti-Life Equation? Yuck.

If that's all that happens when Galactus dies, I guess we could then have Doom take out Abraxas too. Hey, he did defeat the Beyonder after Galactus failed to... Taking down Abraxas would likely be a cakewalk for the guy.

Dr. Doom is kind of the Marvel Universe equivalent of fanboy Batman when you think about it... With sufficient preparation, he can beat anybody.

As for whether Galactus can eat Asgard, I'd vote No. Magic realms aren't exactly planets. Different energies would be involved, presumably greater ones, given the god-like nature of the inhabitants. Wouldn't Galactus have figured out long ago that eating planets was comparatively pathetic compared to eating the realm of each planet's gods? Would Galactus eating an alien God be cannibalism for him? In any case, the menace Galactus presents was fairly well defined early on. Changing the game to make him a magical character who eats other magical characters as well seems badly conceived...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dr. Doom is kind of the Marvel Universe equivalent of fanboy Batman
when you think about it... With sufficient preparation, he can beat
anybody.
+++++++++

Insufferable dolt! You dare to equate Doom with a mere
costumed freak who mishandles the resources at his disposal?!? This
'Batman' is nothing more than an idealistic fool who has failed to bring
order to but a single, paltry city! What is the meaning of 'victory' to the