Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: The old stuff (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2014 at 4:58am | IP Logged | 1  

The credit to my appreciating the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans book in hindsight should actually go to this childhood buddy of mine who was a bigger fan of theirs. There was a bit of disagreement over what we liked better (he wasn't into the X-Men like I was), but you could see now what he appreciated in the book. I recall reading through the first six issues of that book.

Compared to what the industry is doing with characters today, what Wolfman and Perez put the Titans through in their day was tame...
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2014 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think in the early '80s New Teen Titans and Legion of Super-Heroes were the only two DC titles that Marvel readers were "allowed" to like. Everything else was "corny" or "boring" (except for Batman; Batman was cool because he was dark and stuff). 

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm convinced that most writers in Marvel suffer from a few problems when writing comics..
1. They're writing for film. They miss the point that they're doing comics and write long drawn out scenes envisioning two actors on AMC reading them rather than what will look good on paper. They really do seem to want to capture every movement a character is doing so we can pick up on things that probably should just be said somehow.
2. They try to be realistic. This one always throws me, you have a guy that walks on walls and yet that guy can't teach class because it's wouldn't be "realistic" to fight crime and hold a day job. I remember back in the 80s we had a lot of development. It was just done against a more interesting backdrop. When was the last time there was a good old fashion bank robbery, or a mugging? I see so many moments in books in some office, room, or at best on the way to some battle. It's like they've flipped the panels, what used to be off panel has now replaced what was on.
3. Everything has to be bigger than what was before.. EXTREME! No longer does Spider-Man battle muggers or bank robbers. Now everything is fate of the world stuff. I miss the days where the big stuff was built up to and not every other book (every other 5th book if it's Bendis). You can have street level stuff and still be interesting.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 September 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

1. They're writing for film. They miss the point that they're doing comics and write long drawn out scenes envisioning two actors on AMC reading them rather than what will look good on paper. They really do seem to want to capture every movement a character is doing so we can pick up on things that probably should just be said somehow.

•••

Part of the problem -- a big part -- is the insistence by so many current writers that they work full script. Very few people really think in pictures, and there are few places where this is more apparent than when reading a comicbook script. This is one of the reasons the so-called "Marvel Method" came into being. It lets the various folk involved do what they (theoretically) do best. The artists break down the action in pictures, the writers add dialog and captions. Hopefully, if the writer is on the ball, s/he recognizes when neither are needed.

Sure, it's not a perfect system. But at least working from a plot I was never asked to "pan" in a single panel!

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 5  

A big part of my artistic self-training was done with the Marvel Method of plotting. I can't imagine doing it any other way, except for the panel-by-panel breakdowns of what the letterer would place in each balloon or caption box. In my case, it'd be done the way Jack Kirby used to do it (writing out the dialogue directly on the page in pencils).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version