Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q’s For JB-Cover of Fantastic Four 268 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 1  

My wife has a picture of her as a little girl with Spider-man and she says it was one of the most fun experiences of her life.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2014 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 2  

JB, I've noticed that when you draw Doom's mask, unless it's a
downward angle, you always draw the bottom nostril area on his nose.
I've always preferred that. Other artists have drawn it without the
bottom and it makes him look like he has a beak.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Cross
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2014 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

man, Joe Jusko played a good Cap on that cover

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have vague memories of seeing "Spider-Man" live and in person as a little kid, somewhere in Massachusetts, in the late '70s.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 September 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

However you got there, it's a really cool cover!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

I had one experience of seeing super heroes 'in person', at a  Toys R Us in the Bay Area, when I was maybe 6 years old. 
It was 'Spider-Man', 'Cap' and 'Hulk', with costumes looking like the ones in that link, along with 'Batman' and 'Robin'. I guess I was expecting Adam West and Burt Ward(even if I  don't believe I knew their names at that age!), so to me, when 'Robin' tried to make small talk, ('Ya like the Hulk, huh?') it kind of 'spoiled' the moment. 
Even at age 6, I knew that Marvel and DC characters weren't 'supposed' to know each other (I'd never read what to that point had been the only Superman-Spider-Man team-up, and the second, along with the Batman-Hulk book, was at least a year away.) And the 'Robin' who spoke to me was just 'some guy in a Robin costume', so the whole thing lacked the 'magic'. 
(The following was not said afterwards, but could have been:
 'You see, son, Batman and Robin are really BUSY, so those were two of 'The Dynamic Duo's helpers...')

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 01 September 2014 at 4:18pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

Jonathan Frakes who played Riker on the Next Generation is supposed to have been the official Marvel Captain America and to have attended an event in costume at the White House during the Carter Administration. There are photos from the event floating around online but I couldn't determine whether that Cap was Frakes or not...

There was a live, in-person event with the Marvel Heroes at a mall some distance from where I lived about 15-20 years ago. Even though I was a grown-up, I decided to show up and take a look around. The guy who portrayed Cap was extremely kind and spoke with me as he was making his way to change his costume after the event was over. He was well cast in the role, I thought, and it really was kind of cool to have Captain America himself carry on a conversation with you... 

Spider-Man appeared in person at a signing event when I was a kid. Mostly I remember waiting in line and watching him pose in spidery poses for photos with the other kids. I think I went to that May D&F on my own that day. I don't remember my mother or father being there. Ah, for the days when kids roamed the earth more freely... I may still have the giveaway comic Spider-Man autographed for me...

In person events like these are so much fun. If you get to attend them. I'm still traumatized from missing a Star Trek event back when I was even younger. James Doohan was there along with a full-size mock-up of the bridge supposedly... Mom decided not to go and I was inconsolable. She still was going to go shopping at a mall that day, a rare enough occasion on its own, but I guess she didn't want to deal with the crowds she imagined would be there. I was a wreck, begging her to go to the event. She finally relented and we arrived more than 15 minutes after it ended. Doohan had left and they had the bridge almost entirely disassembled. I remember that they'd used colored glass marbles as the buttons in the black-painted cardboard instrument panels... Running my fingers over them for the brief moment I had there on the bridge...

Someday... someday, I may recover from the spiritually crushing disappointment of that terrible, terrible day... But that day will not be soon... :-)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

The Marvel live, in-person hero costumes can also be seen on the episode of Saturday Night Live hosted by Margot Kidder. Lois hosts a party celebrating the anniversary of her marriage to Superman and confides in Clark that she sleeps around, including having had an encounter with John Belushi's Hulk... This is the famous Garrett Morris as Ant-Man sketch in which he is roundly mocked for being able to shrink to the size of an ant while still retaining his full human strength. "Wow. This guy has the strength of one whole human!" "Ow! Leggo! Leggo!" Belushi's Hulk cries out, shaking hands with him. "Every molecule's quivering now!" Dan Akroyd's Flash backs away saying and everyone laughs. Of course, the Flash only has normal human strength as well, but no one seems to notice that... Poor Ant-Man... 

The Official Marvel Thing is particularly hilarious bobbing around in the background, having trouble getting through doorways...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 9  

Jonathan Frakes who played Riker on the Next Generation is supposed to have been the official Marvel Captain America and to have attended an event in costume at the White House during the Carter Administration. There are photos from the event floating around online but I couldn't determine whether that Cap was Frakes or not...

••

The disguise works!!

Unfortunately -- and this is no reflection upon Mr. Frakes -- no special care or attention was paid to the "casting" of these characters. I attended one Con where Marvel's official "Spider-Man" was half a head taller than me, broad shouldered and muscular. Much better suited (no pun intended) to playing Captain America.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 10  

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 11  

LOL! I just read that "conference" last weekend as I was rereading JB's Hulk run.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

"...and those are basically my plans for the next twelve issues of The Hulk!"

sigghhh...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version