course, she embraced Peter as Spider-Man and forgave him
for allowing the burglar to get away.

+++++++++

And wore Iron Man armor.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 2  

It's amusing how there is a fair size contingent (going by message boards at least) that now view the JMS years as being horrible while JB's run is now getting a grudging reevaluation. 

Spider-Man is one of those characters that will sell, relative to most other books, regardless of quality, but I'm afraid the character has been messed up for me since the Clone Saga. Now that I've read Spider-Man retroactively, I'm starting to come around to the opinion that he's been messed up since he got married in 1986 -- at least thematically and philosophically. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 3  

It's amusing how there is a fair size contingent (going by message boards at least) that now view the JMS years as being horrible while JB's run is now getting a grudging reevaluation.

••

It's the sliding scale. My "old stuff was better," so as current work moves further and further into the Past, it assumes the mantle of "old" and therefore "better."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 4  

"Why would the villain who killed Gwen Stacy kidnap May Parker? Who connects those two people?...Oh my god, PETER PARKER IS SPIDER-MAN!!"

••

I have decided your posts can only be read as satire. Poor satire, but satire nonetheless.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 5  

PETER PARKER IS SPIDER-MAN!!

You're looking at things way too much from the perspective of an all-knowing fan, not as a character who lives in the Marvel Universe.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 6  

You're looking at things way too much from the perspective of an all-knowing fan, not as a character who lives in the Marvel Universe.

••

This is a kind of creeping rot that infects not only large segments of fandom, but pros, too. Most especially, pros who were themselves fans.

I have expended much energy arguing the point that the characters do not know everything we know. When I was working on X-MEN, I constantly bumped heads with Chris on this point. "Everybody knows their secret identities by now," he would say, and I would ask HOW "everybody" would know. The team members didn't exactly have a scintillating social life. Unlike Peter Parker or Clark Kent, they did not hang out with a lot of people who had met both "versions" of themselves. But Chris was viewing the characters from outside, with the all-encompassing eye of the reader.

When I was rebooting Superman, I came up against this a lot. It seemed each tweak to the established mythos would unleash a torrent of mail crying "Now everyone will know Clark Kent is Superman!" And yet there was no logic to these complaints. They were on parr with insisting Donald Trump and I are the same person, since we have never been seen in the same room at the same time!

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 7  

For those interested in JBs work on Spider-Man, but maybe haven't read Chapter One, Comixology is running a sale today for $.99 an issue.

From my own perspective, there were some things I really liked about the series. There were a few marks that were missed for me, but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.  The art is a lot of fun.  The feel of the book really did capture what I was familiar with in regard to those original stories in AF 15 and and the Amazing Spider-Man.  When Chapter One was released, I hadn't read much of those stories as there just wasn't that universal availability. Marvel Masterworks were out of my budget. I only had the occasional reprints to go on. So this was a lot of fun for me to feel like I was there at the beginning. 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 8  

If adults in our real world can keep secrets like affairs, financial status, criminal activity and even entire families from the people close to them then secret identities shouldn't be much different, right? As you say, fans rarely keep objectivity when considering these types of things...Mr. Trump.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 9  

I have expended much energy arguing the point that the characters do not know everything we know.

That doesn't seem like a particularly difficult concept to grasp. Especially for a writer...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 10  

I agree with what Joe said earlier in the thread: It felt more like Marvel back then. Even books like Heroes For Hire and Thunderbolts had classic Marvel characters that were being used a bit differently  but were still true to the characters as they had been handled previously. Nowadays we would get a "radical re-envisioning" of the characters with new costumes and revamped origins.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 11  

Thunderbolts had classic Marvel characters that were being used a bit differently

The very first Thunderbolts run - led by Busiek and Bagley - was great; a fun and exciting team book, the likes of which seem to have disappeared. I remember turning to the last page of Issue #1 and being blown away by the revelation (I had no clue who/what they really were).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 12  

I remember turning to the last page of Issue #1 and being blown away by the revelation (I had no clue who/what they really were).

•••

Let us pause in fond remembrance of a time when THAT could still happen!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version