Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Scotland: Will it stay or will it go? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

Quebec separatists are already predicting a victory and hoping that this example will fuel their own ambitions: for example, recognition of Scotland as a separate country with a mere 1% (51%) of the vote in favor of secession.

The vote is in 6 days and we will know the results in a week.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 12 September 2014 at 7:35pm
Back to Top profile | search

Ray Owens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2014 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

As the vote comes closer and closer the feeling on the ground amongst those of us who will vote Yes is of a large swell in support for an independent Scotland. This despite a massive campaign of fear from the other side.

When the polls were showing that the No campaign had a 22 point lead, which was for most of the last few years, I always believed that the final results would be very close with a one or two point win by either side, it would be too close to call. Now that the polls are showing neck and neck my prediction is for a majority for independence by as much as 10 points I.e. 60% in favour.

We have only 6 days to find out.

Edited by Ray Owens on 12 September 2014 at 10:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 3  

I get the impression that the straw polls are not representative,there`s been a lot in the media about the Yes brigade issuing threats/abuse in person and via social media to pro-No people,so i would not be surprised if a lot of them actually vote no on the day.Personally i think we are stronger together and the divisive crap spewing forth from certain pro-Yes people does Anglo/Scottish relations a great deal of harm.If Scotland gets independence,will you still get free university tuition,free prescriptions,free hospital parking etc that the English don`t but pay for via our taxes?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I didn't think I'd care... The United Kingdom's  broken up before, not even a hundred years ago, with the creation of the republic of Ireland. And I thought, well, it'll give this island a couple of block votes in the EU parliament and the Eurovision Song Contest.

But now I think if they left the union, I'd be sad. It would be weird.

That said - I think if there was a vote for independence for Wales, even though I don't believe Wales would do very well as an independent nation, and I don't fancy having to learn Welsh again, when I got to the voting booth I'd think, "F**k it", and vote "Yes".

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 5  

"So perverse is mankind that every nationality prefers to be misgoverned by its own people than to be well ruled by another." That was General Sir Charles Napier, who was commander-in-chief of the British Army in India. 

I think that (wrongly) a significant number of Scots see the parliament in Westminster as rule by England. The SNP has been able to present it that way because we've got a Tory-led UK government but hardly any Scottish Conservative MPs.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 6  

My grandfather was from Inverness. There is a good chance that an independent Scotland would allow citizenship based on one grandparent's Scottish ancestry, like Ireland. Therefore, I am all for Scottish independence for purely selfish reasons. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 3:23am | IP Logged | 7  

Jesus, FYI.

Ray Owens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 8  

Neil, I was born in Inverness and live just a few miles outside at Culloden. When did he leave my home town.

Edited by Ray Owens on 13 September 2014 at 3:56am

Ray Owens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 9  

We now have the deutsche bank threatening a worldwide Great Depression if we Scots vote for independence. The establishment is throwing everything, including the kitchen sink at us, but we will hold our nerve and vote for fairer and more representative government.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 10  

Well, I got confused. My Grandfather's cousin has family in Inverness, which is where my confusion lay. My grandfather was born in New Byth, in Aberdeenshire. He and his cousin, who were quite close, came to Canada probably about 1910-1920. I could not find that information. The family tree is confusing since the two cousins married sisters. Makes a mess of the tree and is hard to follow. 

Gordon Somers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 11  

One thing I find curious is that no one batted an eyelid when the Baltic nations left the Soviet Union and declared their independence, rather they were applauded. Ukraine has been fully supported in its independence from Russia. Why is it such a big deal that Scotland - who let's face it are having a very wonderful, energised, civilised debate about the whole thing - should be vilified by so many large countries for wanting the same as others. The Act of Union was never voted for by the common people, rather we were sold out by the lairds.

I have tended to steer away from commenting on this referendum, but one thing people forget - David Cameron, as soon as the SNP had a majority in the Scottish Parliament, insisted that the referendum question be asked, demanded a specific date and ensured the question was a single final question at that. No option for people to have a middle ground. Yes or No. In their view to put the question away for a very long time.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 12  

Not being snarky, but I really wonder why the rest of the World should care about this.
Back to Top profile | search

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version