Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Scotland: Will it stay or will it go? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

Find it hard to believe that a territory would sign an agreement for entrance to the Union without a method to get out of it. What if they found out later that it did not suit them? Did nobody think of this at the time? 

Then again, I have no idea if the one-time Territories in Canada have an out-clause in their agreements when they joined Confederation. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

Mild drift: I would love to see Texas try and secede so that all the gun nuts who think the 2nd Amendment will protect them from "the 'Murican gummint" see what happens when the US military is brought to bear on them. You can have your house full of assault weapons--I'll take Force Recon backed up by the 1st Tank Battalion.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

Economically and militarily I don't think it makes sense for Scotland to go it alone, but it's an emotive decision where pride may trump cold logic.

Part of me thinks it might be better to make a clean break and to get the yes vote over and done with, as a no vote will not bring an end to the matter only further devolution and then ultimately another referendum.

It will be close-run thing, but if I had to plump one way or the other, I would say the 'no' vote will win, but won't be too surprise if 'yes' pips it.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 4  

Years ago, I had a student who thought that Taiwan should be forced back into China. When I asked him why China would want a new province filled with people who did not want to be there, he just shrugged and basically said too bad. When I asked him what to do with these people if they continued to protest, he said to shoot them. Problem solved. 

Why would the US force Texas to stay in the Union if they didn't want to stay? In Canada, the western approach to Quebec wanting to separate was, go ahead and don't let the door hit you on your ass. We wouldn't want them if they didn't want to stay. 

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2014 at 2:33am | IP Logged | 5  

Neil>>he said to shoot them. Problem solved. <<

Nice to see people all over the world signing on to the "Team Human" concept.

The future looks bright.  Possibly with a fallout-fueled glow.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2014 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 6  

Remember, children here have been taught since birth that the Government was justified in killing people at Tiannaman Square since they were criminals and that the Japanese all deserve to die. It is very hard for us to break this brainwashing but we do our best. 

Of course, China is not the only country that does this. They are just more open about it than most.

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2014 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 7  

We have just returned from a week's holiday in Edinburgh, and the referendum is certainly the main news topic there, as you would expect. There is also a personal interest in that my wife's brother ( born in England ) lives in Scotland, hence gets a vote - whereas the Scots now living outside of Scotland do not.

The various polls are so close now it is impossible to predict what the outcome will be ; personally, we are wary of the apparently easy promises of nationalism ( vote for us and everything will be better ... ), and are hoping that common sense and a several-hundred-year shared history will win out in the end.

Good luck though to all, no matter the outcome. Scotland is a fine country in it's own right, and deserves to flourish, whether within the United Kingdom or not.

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 8  

NEIL LINDHOLM: Why would the US force Texas to stay in the Union if they didn't want to stay?

Flippant yet serious response:  the same reason you wouldn't let a renter "secede" and take your property as theirs.  Texas doesn't belong to Texans, it belongs to the American people.  Texas also has oil and natural gas reserves that don't belong to them either, as well as other valuable commodities and human resources, a coast, and a massive border with one of our only 2 neighboring countries.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 September 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Oliver brought up a point on his show this week. The exeunt of Scotland would have a profound effect upon the British flag. The blue part belongs to the Scots. Would we start seeing this:

Instead, I herewith suggest the blue be replaced with black, to indicate "mourning," and to look like this:

Adam Benford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

Looks good, but over the years people would shade it in blue when they drew it and the black would turn blue....

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

Minus the Scottish flag, the Union Flag really reminds
me of Japanese imperialism.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

Replacing with the black as above is still incorporating the white saltire of St Andrew's flag. I think incorporating the black (and maybe the yellow also) from St David's flag would work OK, though I don't see the absolute necessity of abandoning the Union Jack.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version