Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Scotland: Will it stay or will it go? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 1  

"All they have done is stirred up hatred and resentment that was put to bed a long time ago."

I couldn't more strongly disagree with this assumptive statement. But your espousing it does reflect how you perceive the UK.

Each member* of the Union suffers from poor representation at Westminster and that is what is at the heart of this.

* Bar one city in one member state---London.

I hope that England, Wales and Northern Ireland get more devolved powers, so that they can better react to the changing requirements of governance of these wonderful countries, without having to beg for scraps from what is left after London has had it's fill.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2014 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 2  

The right choice was made. The SNP had no plan and no clue. Just glad Salmond decided to fall on his sword.

I disagree. There was uncertainty and misdirection from both sides. This was politics afterall. Indeed, the SNP had a lot of plans and, in my opinion, sounded far from clueless; however, independence simply was compelling enough to win a Yes vote. 
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 3  

Each member* of the Union suffers from poor representation at Westminster and that is what is at the heart of this.

* Bar one city in one member state---London. 

I totally agree (with the above statement and your whole post). Indeed, it echoes an article I read about how much of Scotland felt they are treated poorly (in representation) by the British media. A study showed that, in fact, the whole of Britain outside of the capital suffered from this. Take Yorkshire for example: the same populate as Scotland and very little exposure from the press.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2014 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I totally agree (with the above statement and your whole post). Indeed, it echoes an article I read about how much of Scotland felt they are treated poorly (in representation) by the British media. A study showed that, in fact, the whole of Britain outside of the capital suffered from this. Take Yorkshire for example: the same populate as Scotland and very little exposure from the press.

••

Is that so very unusual, tho? Here in the US, individual states don't get much representation in media, unless they are New York or California. "Local stories" tend to remain local, unless CNN is having a slow news day, or there's a natural disaster happening. People in Ohio aren't terribly interested in hearing about what's going on in Arkansas, generally speaking.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2014 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 5  

I couldn't really care about misrepresentation in the media. They do what they do for their own gains. It isn't unusual for them to incite and aggitate their audiences.
But when Countries can stand in unison and say "We need---" or "We don't agree with---" and then be out voted due to population disparagy, well, you have to make a decision, do you keep letting a 300 year old system benefit from your misery or do you stop it.That goes for Wales, Northern Ireland and Most all of England, as noted.

What we in Scotland are hoping for now, is some sort of reform. Some acknowledgement that the mechanisims used to govern the United Kingdom is reconsidered. For the benefit of the whole Union. Rusting from the inside out, at some point the whole shell will collapse. Better to rebuild---for the future.
I'm pretty proud that despite a nation being split nearly down the middle and tensions being elevated around the whole country that democracy was given the opportunity to prove that decisions of great importance can be rested with their populaces.
Too long have the people been treated like bleating sheep by politicians to maintain the status-quo. Are we a progressive society or are we a dead and dying empire?
Now, it really is the time for England, Wales and Northern Ireland to stand up and say, "Yeah, actually, the system doesn't really work for us either!"

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version