Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: MARVEL & JACK KIRBY FAMILY SETTLE LONG-RUNNING LEGAL DISPUTE (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 1  

"Did Kirby come up with a gray HULK...?"

Slight tangent here, but did you ever notice that there is no reference whatsoever in the text of those early issues of the Hulk being gray, green, or any abnormal color?  I suspect the decision to color the Hulk anything other than White came very late in the production process.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 2  

If we all keep shrugging our shoulders and muttering "that's how the world works" nothing will ever change. Thankfully, there have been a few people over the years out there fighting the good fight to improve things.

Yet, when Kirby had the chance to "fight the good fight" to improve things, he did nothing of the sort. He maintained the status quo.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Jim Delligatti. How many of you know that name without looking it up? Most of you have tried his creation, at one time or another, and a WHOLE lot more of them have been sold than comic books.

He created the Big Mac. And he got not a dime more for doing so than his regular salary as an employee of McDonalds.

And this is not atypical. Credit and compensation are rare beasts in the business world. I've done work for a couple of ad agencies. Know what they DON'T do (or didn't at the time)? Return the artwork.

Marvel, DC (National Periodicals) and all the rest were following a long established business model. "It's the way things have always been done," is not an excuse, of course. I don't think anyone here is saying that it is. But it does EXPLAIN why the Past is different from the Present. At least in comics.

(One inker, notorious for his pursuit of the high paying gigs, is also notorious for the pittance he pays his assistants. When asked why he doesn't more generously share those "big bucks" he's making with those who are helping him do it, guess what he responds? HINT: "It's....done.")

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 4  

BTW, Stan Lee received no special compensation for the creation of all those money-making characters. Yes, he was the Publisher's nephew, and that got him the job, but once he had the job he got paid like anybody else in the business. The main difference was, he STAYED at Marvel, and so the compensation he received grew over the years as salaries do.

Brings to mind, once again, something Peter Sanderson asked, years ago. What if it was Jack who had stayed, and Stan who'd left? Who, today, would be perceived as "Good Marvel Daddy," and who "Bad Marvel Daddy"?

(We have a view of this scenario, albeit thru a cloudy lens. Siegel and Shuster are canonized as martyrs to the cause of Creator's Rights, portrayed as poor little farm boys who got ripped off by the huge, faceless corporation. On the other hand, Bob Kane got a lawyer to write up the contracts for him, made the big bucks, and within the industry was almost universally reviled as a money-grubbing bastard.*)

--------

* I'll bet he cried all the way to the bank.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 5  

The onus for fair play is clearly on Marvel and DC and they have shown time and time again to have little to no interest in such unless forced or shamed

That seems pretty naive. A business has policies (clearly defined), and employees (including freelancers) can choose to accept things as they are, or look elsewhere for a better deal.

I worked in animation for years, and every piece of artwork I did (including the creation of characters/props, etc) belonged to the studio. I accepted that fact with my paycheque, and to suddenly whine otherwise that it's 'unfair' would make me an idiot.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

I worked in animation for years, and every piece of artwork I did (including the creation of characters/props, etc) belonged to the studio. I accepted that fact with my paycheque, and to suddenly whine otherwise that it's 'unfair' would make me an idiot.

•••

This is an important aspect that too often gets swept under the rug. None of it was secret. No nefarious goings on behind locked doors. Siegel and Shuster knew what they were doing -- making some good 1938 dollars off a character that had been turned down by every newspaper syndicate in the country. Kirby knew what he was doing -- more monster books for a tiny company that barely managed to stay in business.

No one was prescient. Not the artists, and not the publishers. (For proof of that go look at the covers for the first year and a half of ACTION COMICS.)

Sure we all wish it was different. But it wasn't. Given the time, it couldn't have been.

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Exactly ...I work in the high tech industry and call on various accounts where Engineers develop great products. They all get paid a company salary , not on how great there product is.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

Or will be in 20+ years. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

The truth is, Jack Kirby didn't create those comics you love.  Marvel did.  The company did.

People use the term 'creator' and talk as if Stan and Jack were locked in a room talking to each other, and comics sprung from the end of Jack's pencil full-blown like Athena from the forehead of Zeus.  That's myth.

Kirby didn't own a printing press, for one thing.

Marvel paid Stan to write a comic.  They paid Jack to draw a comic.  They paid someone to ink it and someone to letter it and someone to edit the thing into its final form.  Then they paid someone to typeset it and someone to lay out the advertisements and someone to print it.  Then someone bailed them and packaged them and shipped them off to newstands across the country.  All of that was paid for, was done, by Marvel.  And everyone along that entire chain got paid for the work they did on the comic.  How is Marvel not then entitled to recoup their investment from the proceeds and stay in business by being profitable?  If Marvel took no profits, and just split that money up among all the folks who made the comics in addition to what they were already paid they'd go out of business, and you'd have no more comics.

Likewise, if you're one of the millions of folks who liked the Avengers movie...Jack Kirby had nothing to do with that film.  Disney/Marvel paid a director and actors and a best boy and a key grip and craft services and rigging gaffers and cinematographers etc. etc. to the tune of millions of dollars for the work they each put in on the movie and then paid to advertise it and distribute it around the country so you could see it.  Are they then not entitled to the profits from their investment?  Should they have to give all the profits to the people who made it, in addition to the pay they already recieved?  Or give them, for some unknown reason, to Jack Kirby's grandchildren?  If they do that, you have no more movies.

The argument for the Kirby heirs side of this plainly makes no sense in the real, practical world.

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

I don't see why this settlement is a big deal. Marvel's going to continue making billions on these properties. The Kirbys will get more compensation, a little more credit for their Dad, maybe they'll get back some artwork (IDK what's in the deal).

As for the broader effect of how the business is run, I don't see it. If the Kirby Estate had gone forward, and WON, maybe that would've forced some change, but since they settled, that scenario is moot. For now, anyway.

There were always practices and deals in broadcasting of creative works, that became unfair over time.

Residuals of TV shows changed, because of the success of long running series in syndication. Back in the day, once six repeats aired on TV, the payments would dry up for the talent and crew, even though the studio could continue to sell the series in syndication, (and later on DVD) and get profits in perpetuity.

Creative talent fought back, now they get residuals in perpetuity, along with the companies and studios that own and sell the shows.

They put aside the "I got mine, up yours!" mentality, banded together, and got real change that benefited the entire creative community in Hollywood.

Unless someone else tilts at the Marvel/Disney windmill and wins, or the creative community fight for more ethical treatment, I don't see anything changing.

I'm happy for the Kirby Estate if they got an outcome they can live with.
If they were my kids, I'd be proud of them.

That may get me some heat..
But it's what I think.

Edited by James Howell on 27 September 2014 at 2:42pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

Steve DeYoung wrote:
Are they then not entitled to the profits from their investment?  Should they have to give all the profits to the people who made it, in addition to the pay they already recieved?  Or give them, for some unknown reason, to Jack Kirby's grandchildren?  If they do that, you have no more movies.

The argument for the Kirby heirs side of this plainly makes no sense in the real, practical world.

The focus on whether the Kirby heirs "deserve" to profit from something they did not create is misplaced.  The law allows ownership of intellectual property to be passed on to heirs.  Whether or not you think it makes sense or is fair, it's what the law allows.

The law also allows transfer of pre-1978 copyrights to be terminated after 56 years.  This doesn't deprive corporations of a fair return on their investments, since at the time the creation originated copyright only lasted 56 years maximum.  

This debate isn't about heirs trying to get money they don't deserve, or a corporation being forced to give up money that rightfully belongs to it.  It's simply about ownership.  The central question is whether Kirby owned the creations and transferred copyright to Marvel, or whether he never owned them and created them under what later became known as "work for hire."  If the former is true, then the heirs are entirely within their legal rights to pursue termination of copyright, regain ownership of the characters, and profit from that ownership via royalties or licensing fees, or whatever other ventures they pursue.  If the latter is true, then they are not entitled to anything.  In this particular case, I think the stronger argument is that Kirby did not transfer copyright and therefore his heirs are not entitled to terminate transfer.  But that's just my opinion, and the court could have decided differently.  Obviously Disney was concerned enough about that possibility that they decided to offer a settlement. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 27 September 2014 at 2:39pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

The focus on whether the Kirby heirs "deserve" to profit from something they did not create is misplaced.
-----------------------------------
But that's what the discussion in this thread has been about. And that discussion is what my posts have been in response to. Specifically, some people in this thread have been making assertions that Marvel and DC 'screwed' or otherwise morally wronged Kirby and/or his heirs by not giving them more money. Which is preposterous and plainly makes no sense in the real, practical world.

Intellectual property law in general is a whole different can of worms and another discussion entirely.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version