Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: MARVEL & JACK KIRBY FAMILY SETTLE LONG-RUNNING LEGAL DISPUTE (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 1  

Awesom News!!

Deadline reports that Marvel and the family of Jack Kirby have settled their legal battle in advance of the Supreme Court taking the case into conference. A joint statement has been released and reads as follows:

"Marvel and the family of Jack Kirby have amicably resolved their legal disputes, and are looking forward to advancing their shared goal of honoring Mr. Kirby’s significant role in Marvel’s history."

More to come...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55819

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 2  

Unless they said, amicably "We had no part in the creation of these characters and so deserve nothing," I can't really get excited about this.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 3  

I can't imagine Disney would ever say that.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 4  

You really think I meant Disney? Or are you just a terribly witty fellow?

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 5  

I get the feeling that the Kirby family's lawyer, Marc Toberoff will come out smelling like a rose.

I certainly don't feel that Disney/Marvel was obligated to further compensate the Kirby family, but I'm glad this is over finally.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 6  

Now I'm looking forward to the payments to Steve Ditko and Don Heck's estate since worked under similar terms and co-created some very profitable characters.

But I'm not holding my breath.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 7  

... I'm glad this is over finally.

•••

Clearly you are not a lawyer!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

Kirby wasn't happy with the deal he got, and the main reason for that is that he was determined to provide for his family.  Any portion of profits he'd have gotten from creating and co-creating billions of dollars' worth of characters for Marvel would have gone to his heirs anyway, right? 

Just as important here is making the general public aware that these characters weren't all invented by Stan Lee (or Walt Disney).  Disney's Muppets movies have already relegated Jim Henson's name to a minor footnote, and who knows if George Lucas's name will still be synonymous with Star Wars after Disney's owned it for a couple of decades?  I'm glad to see more and more mainstream recognition for Jack Kirby and his work.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

Kirby was an important part of the process that created these characters, but he wasn't the only part.  And the years of development that these characters have undergone is also important.

Kirby did agree to the deal he got.  Just because he didn't like it doesn't mean he (or any other Marvel employee) should have the right to come back and demand more years later for prior work that they were already paid for.

And yes, it would really be wonderful if Marvel and DC had been more proactive in helping out writers and artists who were in need of help late in life (like they did with Dave Cockrum and Gene Colan), but they aren't under any obligation to.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

It only took them 53 years to develop basic ethics. Good job, Marvel! I'm ever so impressed with your sudden willingness to "honor" the creator of your billion dollar multimedia empire. Hopefully they'll go back and redo all those "Stan Lee Presents" to read "Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko Presents" as it should be. *crosses fingers*

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 11  

Hopefully they'll go back and redo all those "Stan Lee Presents" to read "Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko Presents" as it should be. *crosses fingers*

••

Stan was the Editor-in-Chief and later Publisher. Whatever else his role might have been, he was the one PRESENTING the books.

Ed Sullivan didn't write the Beatles' songs, but he did PRESENT them.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Kirby was an important part of the process that created these characters, but he wasn't the only part.  And the years of development that these characters have undergone is also important.

Kirby did agree to the deal he got.  Just because he didn't like it doesn't mean he (or any other Marvel employee) should have the right to come back and demand more years later for prior work that they were already paid for.

And yes, it would really be wonderful if Marvel and DC had been more proactive in helping out writers and artists who were in need of help late in life (like they did with Dave Cockrum and Gene Colan), but they aren't under any obligation to.

Who are you to say that someone doesn't have the right to fight for basic ethical treatment? Is there a statue of limitations on doing the right thing? The game was rigged, as you very well know, so don't give me this line about "Well, they didn't have to sign." To hell with that. Marvel and DC didn't have to act like scumbags and thugs devoid of conscience as creators barely scrapped by and weren't even offered basic healthcare.  

Edited by Robert White on 26 September 2014 at 12:37pm

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version