Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Starfall (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

I have the same view in my back yard, not much light pollution or neighbors and a nice view of the Big Dipper from my patio in the summertime. I like to just stand out there at night, marvel at the stars and listen to the frogs. I keep thinking of getting a hot tub to sit in out there, that would be extra nice.

••

There's a hot tub attached to my pool. Before I decided the whole thing was a 60,000 gallon hot tub, and too expensive for one person, I would occasionally sit out there in the warm water and watch the stars troop by.

"The Stars Like Dust," Isaac Asimov titled one of his books. Indeed! Indeed!

The best star view I ever had, tho, was when I still lived in Calgary, and was driving back from visiting a friend in Edmonton, 120 miles north. The Calgary Trail (as it is called when heading south) has no lights, and eventually all inhabited regions drop below the horizon. About halfway home, around midnight, I felt the call of Nature, and pulled over. I turned off the light on the car, and stepped into the drainage ditch by the side of the road. The darkness was absolute.

Then I looked up.

Damn near fell into the sky!!

Back to Top profile | search

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Best star view I ever had was in Korea one night in
the field. It was amazing. I had never seen so many
stars or the night so clear (still haven't). Then,
one star I was watching started to move, in straight
line. After traveling some distance, it made a sharp,
right turn 90 degrees. By definition, it was a UFO,
but I was convinced I saw some kind of spaceship.
Another Joe said it was a satellite, suggesting that
on a night like this, I could actually see one. What
do I know about satellites, so I let it go. Some time
later, years maybe, I was telling this story and
someone else told me that there is not way I could
have or would have seen a satellite, no matter how
clear the night sky was. So which is, and more
importantly, what was it?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Ted, I've watched satellites cross the night sky before. It's a fun thing to pick out of the night sky. 

Damn near fell into the sky!!

----

I've had that same feeling a few times too. A vertigo type situation. It's kind of a cool feeling, almost like flying up in the stars. The closest I'll get to felling like Superman I suppose. 

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

I work for the Washington State Ferries in the San Juan Islands. One of the many great things about it is working at night or early morning and walking from one pilot house to the other pilot house at the other end of the boat. On a cloudless night you can just get lost looking up at the stars. Just a beautiful sight I never grow tired of. Wonderful. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 5  

Ted, I've watched satellites cross the night sky before. It's a fun thing
to pick out of the night sky. 
======
Most nights, I can pick out the ISS. Pretty cool knowing it's up there.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 6  

I live an hour away from Shanghai in polluted China. I have vague memories of stars. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 7  

Best star view I ever had was in Korea one night in the field. It was amazing. I had never seen so many stars or the night so clear (still haven't). Then, one star I was watching started to move, in straight line. After traveling some distance, it made a sharp, right turn 90 degrees. By definition, it was a UFO, but I was convinced I saw some kind of spaceship. Another Joe said it was a satellite, suggesting that on a night like this, I could actually see one. What do I know about satellites, so I let it go. Some time later, years maybe, I was telling this story and someone else told me that there is not way I could have or would have seen a satellite, no matter how clear the night sky was. So which is, and more importantly, what was it?

••

Most likely, it was your eyes playing tricks on you. The other night, during my stargazing, I was struck by how many of the stars seemed to be "moving." It's mostly about having no frame of reference. Your eyes/brain do the best they can to assemble an accurate picture, and sometimes they get it wrong.

Studies have been done on this phenomenon. Put people in a dark room with a fixed light, and after twenty minutes or so, ask them to report how far the light moved. All will report some movement, some will report quite a bit.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 8  

Not in this case, John. Here the "star" traveled across
the sky, made the right, and kept on travelling.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 9  

Not in this case, John. Here the "star" traveled across the sky, made the right, and kept on travelling.

••

Or so your eyes told your brain!

There are several factors at work here. First, the previously noted tendency in all humans to see motion where none exists. (This is a survival tool, in the wild. There may not be anything moving in the long grasses over there, but it's best to react as if there is, in case it's a sabretooth tiger!)

Second, there's that ol' debbil memory. Quite without our meaning it to, our brains enhance what we perceive. Again, a survival tool. But it also means details get skewed, every so slightly, over the years. And with accumulation of such skew, the reality can be lost.

In other words, your memory is sure and sound and unshakeable -- but it's also likely to be wrong. It happens. As I have mentioned before, because of everybody talking about it all around me when I was a child in England, I have "memories" of the Blitz -- which was over almost a decade before I was born.

As Homer Simpson has so aptly observed, stupid brain!

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 10  

As I am reading this thread and listening to an online music station Coldplay's ‘A Sky Full of Stars’ is playing.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

I once saw a UFO when I was at UVIC (University of Victoria). I was on the roof of the science building at night, looking through the telescopes, when suddenly a huge silent machine flew high overhead. It was gigantic and moved incredibly fast. Freaked me out. I watched for a while then saw it again. This time I realized it was a seagull flying right over my head and his white body was glowing from reflected light. My brain initially took it to be kilometres high in the air and moving incredibly fast, when in fact it was small and right overhead. The mind plays tricks. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 September 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

I've seen two UFOs in my life. One was most likely a flock of birds. The other was... more interesting.

I was flying back to Calgary from a convention in Toronto, and looking out my window I saw a jet interceptor coming up fast below. "Where's he going in such a hurry?" I thought. I looked ahead on the jet's path and saw what appeared to be a large, silvery vehicle of some kind. It looked for all the world like those wooden mushrooms people used to use when darning socks. I fancied I could even see texturing in its surface, like spun aluminum.

I looked back to the jet, then looked back to the "mushroom" -- and it was gone. Don't know what it was, altho my best guess is a weather balloon, and the continued florward motion of my own plane took us to a spot where the "UFO" was no longer catching the sun.

(I leave a typo here, and ask a question. Why can I not type "sci-fi" without my spellchecker "correcting" it to "sic-fi," but the imps in my computer cannot tell "florward" is supposed to be "forward"?)

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version