Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: DOCTOR STRANGE ~ SPOILERS Begin on Pg 25 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

STEPHEN: I saw the pre-accident scenes taking place around 
IRON MAN 2.
--

In addition to the award Thom mentioned, Avengers Tower is clearly visible in the wide shot of NY before the accident. No way the events of the film begin before THE AVENGERS.
Back to Top profile | search

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Obsessing over Pondering this a bit, I suppose that one could possibly extend the timeline by pushing forward rather than backwards.  That the movie starts in 2016 is clear; pretending otherwise isn't interpreting so much as ignoring.  But I suppose one could imagine the movie starts in 2016, but completes in 2017 -- until/if a later Marvel movie does something to contradict that possibility.

But is a longer timeline really necessary?  If one can accept a world with sorcerers, is it really that much more of a leap to believe a highly intelligent, highly driven man could become a sorcerer in a few months?  Is it that different than Luke becoming an adequate Jedi with minimal training?

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It just occurred to me that,he could have spent years training,but only been away from the current Marvel timeline a short while,it`s magic!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There were a couple points that left me just fine with the learning timeline.  He isn't just brilliant, he was said to have a photographic memory. He was his only barrier to learning, demonstrated with the Mt Everest scene. Once he over came that, he had the added benefit of learning via astral while he slept. 

Finally, most all of the other sorcerers were wiped out in the film. He understood TAO's need to use the Dark Dimension on break what are known to be the rules. I looked at the use of magic as similar to the force. There is a light side and a dark side and the most powerful can use both without being corrupted by either, staying truly neutral between the two. So Strange was the best candidate to take over, even though he isn't the most experienced.  He has access to magic that others don't.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think we're meant to read the item about the 35 year old crippled in "experimental" armor as Rhodey's plummet in CIVIL WAR (it's a timely reference and a lot of the audience should catch it).

So I figure this movie is happening about the same time as CIVIL WAR, with Strange gone probably until just before the events of THOR: RAGNAROK (coming next year). He did master the mystic arts very quickly, but as noted, it could be time moves differently in Kamar-Taj...or it could be Strange is singularly gifted. Maybe both.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Also, I might be mistaken, but I believe Dr. Palmer notes in passing it has been "a couple of years" since he disappeared. So he hasn't just popped out for a semester abroad, as it were.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sorry Andrew, but gotta disagree on both counts.  Christine says "after all this time", but not a specific time reference.  Also, as noted, the person injured in the experimental armor was a Marine; Rhodey was in the Air Force.  (And the director himself has said this is not a War Machine Easter Egg.)

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Agreed. I've seen the film three times. I don't recall Dr. Palmer giving any specific timeframe when discussing his absence. 

From Scott Derrickson himself: Easter Egg is not a War Machine reference. 

So, we know it is neither a reference to Justin Hammer circa IM2 nor War Machine circa CA:CW. I say again: it's entirely possible--even likely--that it's simply a reference to an event we haven't seen yet. Or even more likely: it's open-ended reference to something Marvel itself hasn't yet figured out.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Or it means nothing at all. 

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If only movies came with small caption boxes. "*This movie takes place after the events in Iron Man 2." 

I (finally!) saw it this past Sunday and it blew me away. There's really nothing else I can add to what has already been said.   

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This was my favorite Marvel movie since the first Iron Man movie. I want to go see it again in 3D this time. Some really stunning visuals in this movie. It had everything in it that's been good about Marvel movies and then some.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'd like to see it again before too long.  

It took a second viewing to get a good gander at his gloves in the post credits stinger.  

A third viewing might reveal even more.

Beyonce'

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Doctor Strange is now the highest grossing solo MCU film at $616 million world wide. Those Asian markets really put this film over the top. It's #9 out of highest grossing films of the year. Knocking X-Men Apocalypse and Kung Fu Panda 3 out of the top 10

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Wow. Those are some numbers. Unless of course it was a DC or SPIDER-MAN movie. In which case everyone would be going on about how much of a disaster those numbers were. And baying for the current run to be cancelled, sorted out, whatever (and yes, I get that this is a first outing while everyone knows Spider-Man, but still ...)

I think that unless stated specifically in the film, the MCU films take place chronologically now. So I'm pretty sure DOCTOR STRANGE is set around the time of or after CIVIL WAR.

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Small correction. My above post should say, Doctor Strange is now the highest grossing solo, "debut" MCU film.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

In addition to the award Thom mentioned, Avengers Tower is
clearly visible in the wide shot of NY before the
accident. No way the events of the film begin before THE
AVENGERS.
=====
Sorry, I thought the tower was shown after the accident
but before heading east to train. In this case the time
line is just a mess. I've damaged joints as bad as he did,
had three surgeries and the process took two and a half
years before it was as good as it was going to get. I was
the fastest recovery time my doctor had ever seen.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The film does have timeline problems. 

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Brian: The film does have timeline problems. 

Which is really quite ironic...

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The film does have timeline problems. 

Which is really quite ironic...

... or appropriate...

The Ancient One and Dr. Strange were shown to have a lengthy astral conversation that in "real time" lasted within the span a couple of seconds ("You haven't even hit the ground, yet").

Could it be that in studying in his astral form, he was able to cram years of knowledge into several months? And if what happens to one's astral self can have an effect on one's physical self, could it be he "aged" while doing so?

The Ancient One clearly uses magic from the Dark Dimension, where time has no meaning.

Major plot points are built around the manipulation of time. I don't know why there's such a hang up on this...

And Strange is shown to be unusually adept with the mystic arts. And, as others have noted, he's a genius...on par with Stark and Banner. Suffice to say, he's a quick study.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 02 December 2016 at 4:48pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The only problem I have with the timeline is he was name checked in the second Captain America movie. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Found this:

"Project Insight was controlled by HYDRA moles within S.H.I.E.L.D., who planned to use the Helicarriers to eliminate anyone who they deemed was or could become a threat to HYDRA, based on Zola's algorithm. Zola's algorithm used the data available about people online to analyze and predict their behavior; Insight thus not only targeted current threats to HYDRA, such as Tony Stark, but also those who could at some point become a threat to HYDRA, which could include a high schooler with a perfect score on his SAT's, according to Jasper Sitwell."

Dr. Stephen Strange was fairly exceptional before becoming Doctor Strange. He was as notable a figure as would be even a pre-Iron Man Stark or a pre-Hulk Banner.  In that case, the algorithm correctly predicted a future threat, as he would now definitely be one if they were (are) still around.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 06 December 2016 at 10:36am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I am a fan of continuity, but not so slavish that the supposed timeline discrepancy with other Marvel movies bothers me much, at all.I wish that the film had been clearly set before "The Avengers" films, but I am not going to lose any sleep over this glitch (if it even is one).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2016 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I just saw this movie last night. Some thoughts...

ITEM: It was great! My benchmark is my mom's reaction. Mom is 81, so I know that a film is really good if she doesn't fall asleep.. .and not even a blink from her.

ITEM: The GLOVES? The whole outfit he had on during the movie barely reminded me of Dr. Strange's outfit... and the gloves were the item that "made" it?

ITEM: The timeline doesn't work... Maybe. But the whole climax of the movie is about time travel and time switching and time looping and time enough for love (WHOOPS! :). I don't mind a little time slipping in figuring the movie.. it changed fast and hard at the end.

ITEM: This movie was really great, and I enjoyed it a lot, except for one small flaw.

It shouldn't have been called Dr. Strange. It wasn't Dr. Strange or his origin as I know it. But it was a great film about a really interesting character, and a pretty fascinating story.

It's hardly the first time it's occurred in the MCU, and I have nothing to do but sigh and open up a new card file in my head for the all-different character in this movie. (If I could list the number of times I've had to do that for Batman alone...)

Making it about an entirely different character lets me ignore all the inconsistencies, and that makes it a terrific movie. Tilda Swinton? Fine. Several mystics instead of just Strange and Mordo? No problem. No real magic spells? That's okay. (Really, didn't we only see five spells? Mystic weapon. Shield [possibly of the Seraphim]. Reality twisting. Teleport. Time twisting.)

I was rather hoping to see the Darkhold in this movie. It didn't hurt things that it didn't appear... but it would've been kinda cool.

It's a great movie. I LOVED that the beginning was not overlong with the pre-training origin... it moved right along. Go see it. Go love it. Just don't expect any version of Dr. Strange you've seen before.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2016 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
...It wasn't Dr. Strange or his origin as I know it...

A famed, successful, yet arrogant surgeon has his career ruined after a car crash hinders the use of his hands, so he travels to the far East after hearing about a mysterious, mystical person known as "The Ancient One" who is rumored to have the power to heal the body and mind. He finds this person who trains him in the ways of the mystic arts, and he eventually learns humility and decides to become a hero using his newfound magic-based powers.

Sounds like Doctor Strange to me, despite some changes (which I do think were unnecessary) in the details to his origin.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2016 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

One of the complaints about the movie I had was he doesn't really learn that much humility. He gains a little more compassion and empathy and sees that the universe is bigger than he supposed-- which he then tackles mastering much the same way. He feels that his intelligence and cleverness still allows him to break all the rules that bind everyone else. And, it's ultimately behavior that is reinforced by the Ancient One. He has his edges smoothed some, but he is still a pretty arrogant person.

I am hoping that the sequels like the Iron Man ones will show that that aspect of his personal journey is still ongoing. While he is showing a certain adeptness at magic and quickly proving himself "Master of the Mystic Arts", he has a ways to go on his introspective and personal growth to truly achieve "Sorcerer Supreme".

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version