Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: DOCTOR STRANGE ~ SPOILERS Begin on Pg 25 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

Edited to remove my ex bil's name. 

Edited by Brian J Nelson on 09 November 2014 at 8:20am
Back to Top profile | search

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 08 November 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think it was...he was the one who confirmed surgery wouldn't help more
than extensive rehab.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

Why does everybody have to be the same age? I always thought Dr. Strange was around fifty and I was fine with that. It's not like his abilities count on him working out in the gym two hours a day or anything.

The grey at his temples, I always thought, was the writer and artist's shorthand way of telling me he was "mature."

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

Then that confirms that it is a crazy small world Bob!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 November 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't know. My ex brother-in-law was a famous and well established podiatric surgeon before he was 30. He had a very successful practice in Chicago. Alongside that, he was the team podiatrist for the White Sox. He was a consultant for the Bulls. He had clients from the Bears and the Blackhawks. He was big enough that he was able to pay off all of his student loans in 18 months. He was published many times. If he wasn't so nice, he could be Doctor Strange, MD (add the mustache and he could look the part). Anyway, mid-30s doesn't seem too out of line for someone to be Dr Strange. It might be a bit young for the roll of Sorcerer Supreme. I guess it depends on what part of his career the movie starts in.

Presumably, the part where he's at the very least Master of the Mystic Arts.

So, take your brother-in-law as the model. Strange can be well established by 30. But he has years in that position before his accident, years in the gutter after. How long did he search for the Ancient One? How long did he train? How long was he operating as "a name whispered in shadows"?

Roger Stern -- who should know -- saw Strange in his fifties, at least, when we first met him. An age appropriate to the gravitas of his role.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 6  

The streak of white hair was for me as a kid the giveaway that Stephen Strange wasn't Young Dr. Kildcare.

Weeks... months... years... slowly.

I'd have to agree with Roger Stern, taking Dr. Strange to be at a minimum of 50.

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 7  

How long did he search for the Ancient One? How long did he train? How long was he operating as "a name whispered in shadows"?

I do get your point that Strange in his 50s works well for the character.  But, I have no problem condensing the timelines as I don't see them as essential to the story. Strange can be a medical success and lose everything at 30.  He can lie in the gutters for months instead of years.  He can journey and train.  And the movie can be catching up with him just as he is the name whispered in shadows. I don't think that removes anything from the character.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 8  

How long did he search for the Ancient One? How long did he train? How long was he operating as "a name whispered in shadows"?

++++

I do get your point that Strange in his 50s works well for the character. But, I have no problem condensing the timelines as I don't see them as essential to the story. Strange can be a medical success and lose everything at 30. He can lie in the gutters for months instead of years. He can journey and train. And the movie can be catching up with him just as he is the name whispered in shadows. I don't think that removes anything from the character.

Just his life.

Stan and Steve chose to make Strange's story one of redemption. Redemption is not something that can be shuffled off in a short span of time. In fact, the shorter the time span, the less about redemption the story becomes. Strange had an accident, was a drunk for a few months, cleaned up his act, found the Ancient one in a week or so, learned all the (literal) tricks of the trade in no time flat. WHO CARES?

But, then, a substantial "origin" is only what the actual creators of the character thought was important. Hollywood will fix it -- and I guess you'll be there to applaud.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 9  

This debate about Strange's age brings to mind a question I had about Strange (and the Ancient One's) magic powers. Does Strange and the Ancient One use their magic to slow down their own aging process?

Edited by Rick Whiting on 10 November 2014 at 8:55am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 10  

This debate about Strange's age brings to mind a question I had about Strange (and the Ancient One's) magic powers. Does Strange and the Ancient One use their magic to slow down their own aging process?

Probably. Again, to go to Roger Stern, he was thinking during his time on DOCTOR STRANGE that the good Doctor had his accident some time in the 1920s.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Looking at IMBD, actors born in 1964 include David
Morrissey, Clive Owen, Sean Pertwee, Christopher
Eccleston, Linus Roache, Mark Valley... not saying any of
them are *right* for the part, per se, but they're all
around the age JB and Roger Stern suggest *and* are hardly
fossils, even from Hollywood standards.

It does seem... er Strange that he's going to be younger
than Tony Stark in the Marvel Universe.

(Unless, they "cheat" and claim that Cumberbatch's Strange
is older than he looks)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

Strange and the Ancient One using magic to stave off the effects of aging seems perfectly logic (tho we can assume the Ancient One started doing so somewhat late in the game!), but using magic to make themselves younger -- well, that kinda ranges into vanity, doesn't it, and that would be contrary to those Oriental Philosophies that lie at the core of the Ancient One's teachings.

Buddhism, for instance (at least according to my Dad!) teaches that happiness comes not from having what we want, but from wanting what we have.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 13  

(Unless, they "cheat" and claim that Cumberbatch's Strange
is older than he looks)
------------------
Cumberbatch doesn't look particularly young to me. He comes across as very young in talk show interviews, for example, but as, say, Sherlock Holmes he comes off a good 10 years older than he actually is.

Standard studio makeup, wardrobe, and his performance I think would be perfectly sufficient to have him come off as a man in his forties.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 14  

Cumberbatch doesn't work at all as Doctor Strange - except in Hollywood terms, where what's needed is a hot property, and someone young enough to do several movies before an inevitable reboot.

In terms of appearance and gravitas, my ideal casting would be somebody similar to the late, great Walter Pidgeon as he looked in Forbidden Planet:

Definitely someone in their late forties or early fifties. I hear Will Smith is 46...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 November 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 15  

How about David Strathairn?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 16  

Looks like a great choice to me! 

I figured the Ancient One had longevity as a side effect of his powers, not that he consciously used magic to lengthen his lifespan.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 17  

One of the factors that counts against any sort of accurate casting for Strange has been made very apparent for me over the past weekend, as I watch the four AIRPORT movies from, respectively, 1970, 1974, 1977 and 1979.

In each of those, the principle leads were middle-aged. Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin in the first, Charlton Heston in the second, Jack Lemmon and Darren McGavin in the third, and a past-his-prime Robert Wagner in the fourth. I was reminded of Roger Ebert's old line about how teenagers used to go to movies to see adults have sex, now adults go to movies to see teenagers have sex.

Ageism is rampant in Hollywood. As has been said, this is the only place where writers lie about their age! And because of this, there is little interest in having the stories be about mature adults, at least as the leads. Even those who are longish of tooth -- Tom Cruise, for instance -- are playing characters much younger than they are. (A harkening back to earlier times, there, when we would see 60+ Cary Grant playing 40ish characters.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 18  

Ageism is rampant in Hollywood.

True. And true of TV, also.

Many characters in the modern version of DOCTOR WHO are young. I doubt a forty or fiftysomething guy would get cast as a Brigadier now - they're more likely to cast a younger actor and make him or her, say, a major or captain.

I know Peter Capaldi is in his fifties, but I couldn't help but think the BBC were being a tad ageist when they cast Matt Smith as the Doctor.

Here in Britain, the BBC have been subjected to lawsuits from women who believe they were being discriminated against for age reasons (look up Miriam O'Reilly). Many TV shows here have axed popular and long-running older characters - and replaced them with much younger characters.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 19  

Charlton Heston

Just on this tangent, it's really a pity that there's ageism so prevalent now. Heston filming PLANET OF THE APES at age 44 or so, that's absolutely crucial. How convincingly world-weary would Taylor have been at 24 or even 34? I have kids in college and also kids in grade school, so I have friends who are parents of little ones, but these moms and dads are a good ten to fifteen years younger than I and my wife are. No way they have a predilection to be as jaundiced about... anything... as we do!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 20  

Just on this tangent, it's really a pity that there's ageism so prevalent now. Heston filming PLANET OF THE APES at age 44 or so, that's absolutely crucial. How convincingly world-weary would Taylor have been at 24 or even 34?

I think the Markie Mark version answers that question!!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 21  

On the subject of age, I had a curious moment watching AIRPORT '77.

The movies made a habit of casting long-past-their-glory-days actresses in supporting roles. Gloria Swanson (as herself!) in the first. Myrna Loy in the second. And in the third, Olivia de Havilland as the "older lady."

Watching, I found myself thinking how great Ms de Havilland looked for an "old lady." I whipped out my iPhone and looked her up on the IMDb. When she made the movie, she was only 60! In other words, from where I sit now, quite "age appropriate"!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 22  

[Off topic for a moment to respond to Robbie's Doctor Who comment: Surely ageist would have been to discount Matt Smith because he was too young? The fact they followed him up with the second oldest actor ever to play the Doctor would seem to strongly count against a theory that older age counts against being cast in the role. As for other characters being young, Doctor Who has always been people with young supporting characters, from Carole Ann Ford in her early 20s (and Jacqueline Hill as an older character was in her mid-30s) to the 21-year old Wendy Padbury to Katy Manning in her mid-20s. Matthew Waterhouse was still in his teens when he was Adric. Jenna Coleman is 28. Not very young by companion standards. On a wider TV note, ageism seems more to count against women. I lose count of the number of US news shows that feature a silver-haried male anchor supported by decades-younger female presenters].

Back to the Sorceror Supreme -- it would be really cool if the film did kick off in the 20s for the origin, or even better, started with Dr Dr Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme and then give glimpses back to the 20s showing how he came to be. I've never even thought about Strange halting his aging with his magic before, but I like Roger Stern's idea of the 1920s a lot. It would give real visual variety to the movie.

World-reknowned surgeon suggests ar least early 30s. Three or four years to hit rock bottom. I think it's described as 'months' looking for the Acient One. Let's say a year. Studying magic? 'The Days turned to weeks, to months, to years..." I'd say five years to become a master. For me, it's a ten year period from being a top surgeon to becoming Doctor Strange, so I can see him being in his early 40s. Which makes Cumberbatch a little young at 38, but not hugely so. He'll be near-as-damn-it 39 by the time the cameras roll and in his 40s for any sequel.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 23  

David Strathairn, by the way, would very much look the part with a 'tache. At 65 I think he could happily pull it off for one film, but the way these films generate sequels for many years onward, from the long-term planning perspective of the studio he might appear a bit long in the tooth.

Edited to add: that said, it didn't stop Marvel from casting Anthony Hopkins who is WAY older, so maybe it's me being ageist here.

Edited by Peter Martin on 11 November 2014 at 8:10am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 24  

I've never even thought about Strange halting his aging with his magic before, but I like Roger Stern's idea of the 1920s a lot. It would give real visual variety to the movie.

Plus, it gives extra weight to the "name whispered in shadows" aspect, if the good Doctor has been around for a LONG time!

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 25  

David Strathairn would have been great 15 years ago, but I'm not so sure about now. He looks good for 65 but still wouldn't pass for under 60 onscreen. I get JB's point about the timetable but even with the white temples, this guy doesn't look over 50 to me. 

Maybe they have other plans, but I can't see Marvel going with an actor older than 45 for the lead role in this $160 million franchise-launcher. That would be a tough sell for a Marketing department looking to fill seats on opening weekend.  

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version