Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: [OT] Comics version that supplanted the Original? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was thinking about the Gold Key Star Trek comics, and how I didn't see them at the time.  I did see Gold Key (or Whitman) comics based on Looney Tunes characters, they, and a Bugs Bunny strip that ran in my newspaper, weren't like Looney Tunes very often.  The same thing strikes me as with Trek; the ready availability of the real stuff on TV.

Weren't there some comics that earned a fonder place in fans' hearts?

Marvel's Star Wars comic filled a void.  (I suppose you could have watched Star Wars any time you wanted to that first year or two, but each time would have cost you as much or more than a comicbook.)

Carl Barks's Donald Duck comics were highly regarded, and influenced Disney animation in making Duck Tales.

I'd give the crown to Buck Rogers, totally superseding "Armageddon--2419 A.D." but I have the nagging feeling I'm overlooking something blindingly obvious.  Anything else?

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

ROM and MICRONAUTS were pretty successful comics and the toys they were based on were a blip on the radar.

For myself personally, I regularly read SIMPSONS and SPONGEBOB comics but never really watch the cartoons anymore...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Reading the Transformers comics was more lasting fun than playing with the toys and provided a more fleshed out experience than the cartoon. I'd say the same about GI Joe as well.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2014 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

I got one that is kind of an oddity; The Munsters comic book by Gold Key was actually active longer than the TV show by a couple of years thus supplanting the original. Then when the TV show went into syndication in the early seventies it firmly took back it's spot as most popular incarnation.
I had a couple of those Munster comics when I was about 7 or 8 , I read them until they fell apart.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

The Alien and Predator franchises did for me. I enjoyed the first
Predator film and the first two Alien films, but the Dark Horse comics
are better than anything that's come afterwards.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

The old Dennis the Menace comic books fit this category(not so much the early '80s Marvel series, but the older, 'classic' Fawcett titles).

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2014 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 7  

Marvel's 1977 adaptation of LOGAN'S RUN by David Kraft, George Perez, and Klaus Janson is far superior to the book, the TV show, and even the movie. I would love to buy some hardcover, oversized collection of this one.

(Looking it up on Grand Comics Database, I see that Gerry Conway wrote the first issue, while Kraft did the next four to finish the adaptation. I don't recall if Conway's issue was of different quality than Kraft's.)

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2014 at 3:01am | IP Logged | 8  

I like Archie's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG comics a lot more than any of the video games. Heck, I loved MEGA MAN video games when I was a kid and Archie's comic with that character is also very good. 

Also, while it was originally a comic, because of its popularity as various cartoons and movies and the influence those things have had on the franchise, I feel I should point out that IDW's current TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES is pretty much the best comic on the stands right now. It takes elements from all the cartoons, movies, and previous comic book incarnations, and blends them together in a seamless whole. It's got elements of the classic comics, but its real beauty is in the way it takes many of the goofier aspects of the children's cartoon and turns them into incredibly engaging characters and situations that can be enjoyed by fans of all ages. 

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2014 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 9  

I once asked on a message board (maybe this one) which Conan novel was the best one. The often repeated response was that the early Marvel comics were far better than anything that Robert E Howard ever wrote in the books.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 10  

Marvel did some very good Conan comics, but anyone who says they are better than the original Robert E. Howard prose stories is smoking crack.  That's just crazy talk.  I would say that the best Marvel comics are better than any of the post-Howard pastiche stories I've read, but that's another thing entirely.  Since you alluded to asking, I'd say that "Beyond the Black River", "The People of the Black Circle" and "The Black Stranger" are the best Robert E. Howard Conan stories.  None of them are novels though.  Howard only wrote one Conan novel (The Hour of the Dragon) and the rest of his Conan work was short stories. 

As to the thread topic:  John Stanley's Little Lulu comics FAR surpassed the one-panel syndicated comic strip on which the book was based.  Stanley took the character far beyond it's simple beginnings, created piles of supporting characters, and wrote some hilarious and timeless stories filled with creativity. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 20 October 2014 at 11:38am

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

Thanks.  Aliens and Predator was something I should have thought of.  I did remember good Dennis the Menace comic books, but wondered if adapting comics to comics would "count."  I suppose from a panel to a book does make a bit of a difference.  I hesitate to think what a Lockhorns or a Frank and Ernest, or a They'll Do It Every Time five page story would look like.

Logan's Run reminds me of Planet of the Apes.  Now obscure because of lack of reprinting, I hear they were quite the thing back in the day.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

Speaking of PLANET OF THE APES comics. In the UK, as we were running a weekly schedule and material was becoming thin on the ground, KILLRAVEN got translated in to the APES universe, becoming APESLAYER.

I kid you not.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version