Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: How do you pronounce Unus? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 1  

I lost the ability to correctly pronounce words after I saw Angels/Mariners player Chone Figgens. Should rhyme with phone but no, it's Sean. Now I'm never sure.

••

In my younger days, I used to imagine if I ever had a daughter I would name her Siobhan, after a famous actress of the time. That's pronounced "Shuh-vaun."

Another gal at my high school was Seona, pronounce "Shauna." And there was also Sian, pronounce "Shan."

'Course, there was also a girl whose last name was Chicken, so I guess it could be worse. . . . .

Back to Top profile | search

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Reminds me of a story a teacher told years ago. As he told it, he had to spell Norfolk (as in Virginia) for some reason or another. He proceeded to spell it as it is pronounced: N-O-R-F-U-C-K...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

A former German colleague of mine had the surname Koch...

We didnt have any fun with that one....at all....nope...never!

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

A few years back a girl side-swiped my car and when we exchanged information she spelled out her name S-i-o-b-h-a-n. I read out "Sha-von" and she seemed surprised that I knew the proper pronunciation.

The ONLY reason I knew that, was directly because John Byrne created Silver Banshee during his Superman run, and her real name was Siobhan.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have to admit when I was young I thought Sean was pronounced Seen. Then in a conversation about James Bond a friend corrected me,  Didn't believe him at first. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

I had a similar experience, Mike. When my friend told me that I was pronouncing "Seen" Cassidy wrong, and that the first name is pronounced "Shawn," I thought he was crazy. Not only couldn't I fathom as a kid how you get "Shawn" from "Sean", but Shawn Cassidy, the actor, was big at the time. I thought my friend was pulling a joke on me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

Years ago, I met an Irish girl named Sian. She pronounced it 'Seen'. Haven't Sian her since.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

While we are on the topic of Irish names, the one that totally confused me
when I finally heard pronounced aloud was Niamh.

"NEE-uv".

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2014 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 9  

I didn't realize I had Seamus wrong until I saw the Harry Potter movie.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 November 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 10  

The British Isles are famous for their curious spellings and pronunciations. The Brits, the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish. . .   yeesh!

A few years back I loaned to a friend a copy of a biography of Elizabeth I, a book I had read several times. She enjoyed it greatly, but when we talked about it I realized I should have provided her with a pronunciation guide! Especially when she would have to deal with names like Wriothesley -- pronounced "rigly"!

The crazy thing about that is that spelling in Elizabethan England was phonetic, and all over the map. We know that the man from Stratford pronounced his name "Shak-sper," as was typical in Warwickshire ("warickshur") at the time, because it was so often spelled in documents with some variant on that pronunciation. And yet, at the same time, there were names whose pronunciation had nothing to do with the spelling, or vice versa. An important clue in THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER turns on the fact that the family name Bruttenholm is actually pronounced "Broom." And there's my personal favorite, Featheringstonehaugh. Which is pronounced "Fairshaw," of course!!

Even I do not escape! The name "John Byrne" has TWO silent letters and one that is not pronounced as it usually is. (When I was learning to read, silent letters became my bane!)

Ah, well! Meet you in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!!

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 19 November 2014 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
Years ago, I met an Irish girl named Sian. She pronounced it 'Seen'. Haven't Sian her since.

I was working on an awards show the other day and one of the winners was called Sian but she pronounced it as in the colour "Cyan" (Si-ann).

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 19 November 2014 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Ah, well! Meet you in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!!

Even the shortened version of Llanfair PG contains traps for the unwary as a single f is pronounced v in Welsh. Not to mention the Ll which is somewhere between L and Cl.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version