Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Comics Really Aren’t For Kids Anymore (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2014 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 1  

In truth, some time ago I compared it with the cost of Time Magazine during the same time and comics lagged BEHIND in terms of price for a long time, when publishers had the bad idea of cuttig pages to keep the 10 cent price point. Only when it wasn't possible anymore did they decide to drive the prices up, but they had lost A LOT of content and were seen as a dirty cheap product by then, which made more difficult every subsequent price adjustement.

One negative aspect it that through the years comics lost pages many times and rarely gained them back. Only during Jim Shooter's editorship did Marvel Comics get back lost pages (from 17 back to 22). Currently it is at 20.

About the newsstands, it is currently a dying market - for everything, not just comics! They are used to sell disposable product that, frankly, works much better on digital. The comics markets that had never given up on newsstands, like the italian and japanese ones, are currently facing huge sales losses (in the millions for the japanese!). It's not a matter of content, because almost every newsstand publication is on the same boat.

The digital venues have yet been unable to recoup all those lost sales, though. Will it be beacause of the piracy? I don't know, but even the comics industries that haven't made the bad choices the US industry did are now facing tough times.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2014 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
 The retailer had to fill out a form AND send it back with the stripped covers. 

Such an antiquated system. At least with digital there's no tree-killing, shipping, then shipping back, etc.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 December 2014 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 3  

In truth, some time ago I compared it with the cost of Time Magazine during the same time and comics lagged BEHIND in terms of price for a long time, when publishers had the bad idea of cuttig pages to keep the 10 cent price point. Only when it wasn't possible anymore did they decide to drive the prices up, but they had lost A LOT of content and were seen as a dirty cheap product by then, which made more difficult every subsequent price adjustement.

••

I tend to think of the cutting of pages as the First Mistake. The idea that comics were 10¢ and had to STAY 10¢ was a deliberate self-ghettoization of the format. TIME and NEWSWEEK were "real magazines" that started with a 10¢ cover price. When their prices went up, and those of comics did not, our little industry was more or less declaring "We're not REAL."

(A repeated experience over my years in comics has been civilians declaring themselves appalled by the current cover price -- whatever it was! -- and announcing that they paid only 5¢ for comics when they were kids. "Only if you were buying them at second hand book stores," I would say, to no effect.)

Brad Wilders
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2014 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Setting aside problems of cost, distribution, missed schedules, etc, the Number One thing that has served to slit the throat of comics is that they no longer offer something that cannot be found elsewhere.

----

What about the rise of digital distribution? Putting aside the nostalgic feelings of traditional readers to the digital format, certainly kids are unlikely to be averse to reading on their digital tablet. Seems kids are more likely to encounter comics on a tablet or computer than a newsstand, even if there still was a bustling newsstand market. It is hard to tell how big the digital marketplace is right now, but comixology, before selling to Amazon, was reporting 100 million comic downloads a year (2012-2013). http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130925/NEWS/130929937#

While there are only a few thousand comic stores, over half of U.S. households with kids aged 2-12 have tablets. https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/ki ds-tablet-play-and-household-ownership-increases-reports-npd /. It seems there is a viable potential marketplace that gives publishers access to new comic readers. If kids aren't buying comics, at this point, it seems more like a content problem--publishers aren't designing (or marketing) age-appropriate material to those readers or they aren't appropriately designing the content for the digital format. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 December 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

What about the rise of digital distribution?

••

That's a bit like saying it wasn't the fall that killed the guy, it was the sudden stop.

The Digital Age has done much to damage ol' fashioned ink-on-paper. but it's come at the end. The factors I names have grown up over decades.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2014 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's really only been since the increase to $3.99 that I've
had a problem. Four bucks for sixth of a isn't, imo,
giving me enough bang for my buck. To then cut the number
of pages and keep the same price, that's when I started
walking away. At least when DC cut pages, it was to keep
certain books at $2.99. Of course that has since changed
Is it not cost effective to put ads back in the books?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version