Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Questions for Paul Kupperberg - Supergirl (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 1  

Were you privy to the reasons that DC decided to cancel Superman Family and launch The daring new Adventures of Supergirl? If so, what were they? Was it simply that DC was moving away from the "Dollar Comic" anthologies (it was the last of DC's series to be formatted as such, I believe)?
When did you become aware of the Supergirl film? Was it prior to the costume change in issue 13?

Thanks in advance!
Back to Top profile | search

Paul H. Kupperberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 2  

As I recall, it was just that DC was done with the Dollar Comics format, which seemed to have run its course by then. The 32-page books were cover priced 60¢ by then so the $1 comics at 52 pages had probably stopped being profitable.

I knew about the Supergirl movie well in advance of its release (now that's a movie I wish the North Koreans could have kept out of the theaters!), and the costume change was planned to coincide with it.
Paul
Back to Top profile | search | www

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

I really enjoyed and missed those Dollar Comic anthologies.  At least some, like "Superboy" and "Supergirl" were spun off into their own solo mags when the Dollar Comics went the way of the dodo.  But some others were gone forever, at least in the versions that I loved best, by the creative teams I loved best.

Some favorites included "Mr. & Mrs. Superman" in Superman Family, the Don Newton penciled "SHAZAM" in Worlds Finest and "Batman" in Detective Comics.  "Justice Society" in Adventure Comics penciled by Joe Staton (but at least Huntress continued as a back up in Wonder Woman, with frequent guest stars Power Girl and Robin; again with that great Staton art).

It's a shame that we lost that anthology venue for characters who couldn't carry a book by themselves.

Edited by Josh Goldberg on 19 December 2014 at 12:25pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

SUPERMAN FAMILY and WORLD's FINEST were the last of the superhero anthology Dollar Comics in 1982.(WF downsized to 32 pages/60 cents, and lasted a few more years).
Interestingly, DC opted to keep G.I.COMBAT in its larger format, upping the price to $1.25, although the page count dropped to 40, before that book went 'normal-sized' in its final year.

Superboy was dropped from SUPERMAN FAMILY in 1979, to get that book's line up back to 5 stories per issue(having recently added 'Mr. and Mrs. Superman').
The NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY title, launched in January, 1980, allowed DC to finally give Superboy's old book to the Legion of Superheroes(retaining the old numbering), while restoring Superboy to a book all his own.(While the Legion's book was taking place at a point after Superboy no longer associated with group, his new magazine casually mentioned that he was still a member, but the stories took place during those breaks between adventures in the 30th century).

In 1984, DC cancelled both the Superboy and Supergirl books, while annoncing that both characters would share a new double-sized, 48-page comic, which was supposedly going to launch when the Supergirl movie was released. Of course, by that time, discussions about the plot of CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS were ongoing, and this new project was aborted with little notice.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 19 December 2014 at 1:13pm

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

"his new magazine casually mentioned that he was still a member, but the stories took place during those breaks between adventures in the 30th century"

As I recall, Saturn Girl put the whammy-jammy on him so that he would never return.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

Yes, but within a year, he was 'guest starring' in the Legion's book(first, in a Time Trapper story partially set in the 20th Century; later, in the Darkseid multi-parter in 1982), and I think by # 300, they were calling him a 'reserve' member

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

From what is covered in American Comic Book Chronicles: The
1970s
Carmine Infantino decided to up DC's total comic production
to compete with Marvel's production. His fear was that Marvel's
greater output would tie up printing time and take away rack space
from DC. Also, Atlas was just starting up about this time, though they
didn't last long. So the 100 pagers gave way to the 60 pagers and
DC upped their total comic production by a considerable amount. DC
lost a lot of money in 1975 and Infantino was fired.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

Of course, almost as soon as Jenette Kahn took over as DC's publisher, the company started experimenting with an expanded page-count (34 story-pages, I think 52 total, for 50 cents, shortly increased to 60 c) for certain books(This was in late 1976, just before the Dollar Comic format was introduced).

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

Sorry - I wasn't far enough in my reading to know about the Dollar line
that came when Kahn was hired! At that time I was strictly buying
Marvel only...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

The cover of Legion #280 announces that Superboy rejoins the team in that issue. It was a Time Trapper story and also the supposed explanation for the statue of Reflecto in the Legion's Hall of Fallen Heroes. Ultra Boy was believed dead at the time and a new hero, Reflecto, was trying to join the team. In battle, it's discovered that Reflecto is really Superboy, except he has the mind of Ultra Boy. 

Much confusion ensues, including a covert trip to the 20th Century for which Lightning Lad brings along Dawnstar & Blok, certainly two of the Legion's least attention-drawing members. He does so specifically because they've never been to the 20th Century before. Wouldn't it be better to take people who HAD been there? Karate Kid was along for the ride, though, so that's something... Gerry Conway left in mid-story and the tale was wrapped up by Roy Thomas. And there really is no logical reason given for why a statue of Reflecto would be set up...

I was a big fan of Dollar Comics and certainly pressured my mom to buy more of them than the family could really afford at the time. Superman Family and Adventure Comics were my favorites, and I did have a pretty good run of Worlds Finest from that time as well.

When Superboy and Supergirl were given their own titles, I followed each one for a while. If Paul Kupperberg is still looking in on this thread, I wonder if he wouldn't mind commenting on Linda Danver's neighbor, Jon Ostrander. As I understand it, the character was actually based on the writer. Correct?

Also, I'm curious about the rollback in her age. Her age was given in issue #1 of TDNAOS as 19. How old had she been seen as in the office before this, and did the reset could any stir within DC or fandom?
Or was it just a misperception on the part of the audience that she was older than 19 before TDNAOS #1?

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2014 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

And how about those great wrap-around covers we used to get with those Dollar Comics?  Fun times.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 12  

Supergirl was unofficially 'de-aged' a few years to turn her into a '19-year-old' college student. By the time of her SUPERMAN FAMILY feature in the mid-70s, she was noticeably older than she'd been portrayed throughout the '60s.  If we follow the E.Nelson Bridwell rule that Superman was perpetually '29', then Supergirl appeared to be in her mid-20s.By the time Linda Danvers had become a soap opera actress, in the early '80s, there was no way in whatever the Kryptonian equivalent of 'hell' is that she could have been 19!

I vaguely recall a letter to the editor asking someone on Supergirl's 80s title to make sense of her age and job history, assuming she was officially '19' years old. They pretty much swept the issue under the rug.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version