Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Tokyo next week! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

My son is getting married next week in Japan (to a Japanese girl), though they both live and work in Victoria, BC.  I've never been there before, and my wife and I will be spending a week in Tokyo after the wedding.

Any must sees to do there?

Back to Top profile | search

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

Congratulations to you and your family.  I went there about 20 years ago and had an awesome time.  Everything about the country was interesting to me, the temples, the bowing, the transit system, the sushi on a conveyor belt, the super expensive fruit at the supermarket, etc.

I guess if I were to go back, I would go to a restaurant that serves blowfish.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2014 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

Congrats Phil!

Wow, talk about asking the 100,000 Yen question...

Are you interested in historical, cultural, or pop cultural sights?

Since you'll be over there next week, you might want to check out the Christmas illuminations in the various parts of the city:

Japan Guide Link

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 19 December 2014 at 7:02pm

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  We're going to try and do a variety of things, including taking a tour to Mt. Fuji.  I definitely want to go to the electronic district and we'll likely do a couple of city tours.

I would have liked to take in a Sumo Wrestling match, but apparently, the tournaments are not going on during the Christmas break.

Bill, I did not know about the Christmas illuminations.  I will definitely check one or more of these out, as my wife loves X-Mas lights.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2014 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well, I will warn you that trying to do things around Christmas time in Tokyo isn't as bad as doing them the following week closer to New Years, since that's the real holiday time for the Japanese.

With that in mind...

To make things easier using the local transportation options, like the (non-Shinkansen / bullet) trains, subways, and buses, I recommend picking up either a Suica or Pasmo IC card, which will do away with the worry of trying to purchase a ticket from the station machines (swipe when you enter, and swipe when you leave)

Guide to IC cards

Suica Card

Pasmo Card

They also can be used for some vending machines and store purchases too.

If you do go to Akihabara (Electic Town), and after checking out the anime pop-culture overload in the area, I do recommend capping your visit by stopping at the huge Yodobashi Camera megastore, visible from JR Akihabara station. Level 6 of that place has the latest toys, model kits, and anime goods, at very reasonable prices.

I would check out these resources as well, for any further questions, updates, and ideas:

Japan Guide

Time Out Tokyo

And if you have questions about specific sights and locations, or need advice about your itinerary, post them here and one or more of the local experts will help answer them (they helped me a lot for my past trips)

Trip Advisor Japan Forum

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 20 December 2014 at 7:23pm

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 6  

I appreicate all the information Bill.  Thanks very much.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's a really fun, very "user friendly" city.  Best, most intuitive public transit I've ever used.  Make sure to pay a visit to the royal palace, go to Ikihibara if you want to check out comics and toy shops, visit art museums...  Really, you can take whatever your typical travel itinerary is when you visit any big city for the first time and just run through that checklist.  Tokyo's got everything.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Since no one else said it I will. Look for Godzilla. Find that statue Phil and take a selfie with the big G. Normally I'm not a fan of the whole selfie thing but for Godzilla I would do it.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

Well, I wasn't sure if Phil was interested in any pop-culture stuff, like the Godzilla statue in the Hibiya Chanter location...

But here is the location via Google Maps Street View:

Street View - Hibiya Chanter

It is just off Harumi-Dori, the main street that runs right through the Ginza District, and SouthWest of JR Yurakucho Station (Yamanote Line).

And as long as you're there, might as well hunt down actor Toshiro Mifune's hand print on the Toho Walk of Fame behind the statue:

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

There is an absolutely wonderful sushi bar in the airport by the United gates. Unfortunately, that is the extent of my time in Japan. I am so jealous and hope you have a wonderful time and congratulations to your son!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version