Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Comic Book Resources Top 100 Writers and Artists (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 1  

Eric - There is a second list for writers (JB finished at #21 there), but I would agree that they tend to rank the writer/artists a bit to low.

Simonson, Kirby, Barks, Mignola, Miller and Eisner  appear on both lists.  Starlin appears on the writer list, but not the artist one. I don't recall Chaykin being on the either.

And the problem with having fans vote is that more recent artists and writers get more consideration, and guys like Joe Maneely, Russ Heath and Kurt Schaffenberger get none.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 2  

Alex Ross at number 9 ? How many comics has he drawn ? He's a tremendous illustrator for sure but I have a hard time thinking of him as a comic book artist.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 3  

Philippe - He has done some limited series including Earth X, Marvels, Kingdom Come, panted over other artists pencils (justice) and has done a series of tabloid-sized books for DC.

Others on the list (such as Jim Steranko, Moebius and Brian Bolland) certainly would fall into the category of not having huge bodies of work (Bolland and Moebius have considerably more if you include their work overseas).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne wrote:
the list has a bit of a pulled-from-a-hat feel to it. Kubert below McFarlane? Toth at 49?

A friend of mine posted this photo on his Facebook page recently and I thought of this thread immediately. The photo could very well depict a majority of the people that make up these lists.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 5  

The people in the photo are kids. They can be forgiven. The voters represented in this list? Probably not mostly kids.

Plus, it amalgamates superhero comics artists with people who did all or almost all of their work outside of that genre. Compare Harvey Kurtzman with Jim Steranko with Carl Barks with Robert Crumb with George Perez. Who's the best artist? I have no idea.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

I thought the photo illustrated great artists being ignored. I was not trying to comment on the age of the voters for this comic book list, but rather what they were ignoring. That is why I posted JB's comment about the list seeming like it was pulled from a hat. The age of the people in the photo seemed quite evident and I wasn't trying to suggest the list was made by teenagers, but rather by people ignoring the accomplishments of great artists and their art.

As you note, these lists typically lack any kind of scope or limitation.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 7  

Quitely is a superb artist, but I wish he'd stay clear of superheroes. Altho his work abounds with action and dynamism, generally, when it comes to guys in tights, his meticulous attention to detail and realistic rendering of drapery removes much of the necessary grandeur and introduces a heaping helping of ennui. The character become nothing more than people in homemade costumes.* (The same flaw which came to beset Alex Ross's work.)

Of course, affected ennui is symptomatic of a lot of "fans" these days, and many of them probably formed the group that voted for Quitely. I get the sense the list was formed out of the opinions of several overlapping groups, each looking for something different.

______

* The exception being his Superman, who becomes aloof and even contemptuous.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

I thought the photo illustrated great artists being ignored.

••

It would take some pretty obtuse "logic" to assume anything else.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

It took me a while to "get" Quitely's art, but now I like it. Although I do
agree that he is inappropriate for superheroes.

I appreciate that Brian Cronin pointed out, in both JB's and today's
Claremont write-up on the writers' list, that JB was sole plotter on some
of the X-Men stories. I've gotten into too many discussions about DoFP
with people who don't understand the Marvel method and think every
comic is done full script by the writer.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

There are some artists names I don't recognize. I assume they are newer artists. must go investigate now....

My vote goes to any artist who either changes the way we look at comic art or are so good they remain popular across generations.

Between those two cornerstones there are still many amazing artists but they wouldn't make a list of "most influential" in the industry.

I'll single out McFarlane. I don't think he is famous or influential for his artistic skill, he is just famous for being famous.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

Eric -- my point was that I can forgive kids ignoring great artists -- because they're not aware of the the great artists. But I'm sure that the vast majority of those who voted in the poll weren't kids. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

My vote goes to any artist who either changes the way we look at comic art or are so good they remain popular across generations.

•••

Well, I'm out!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version