Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Xmas! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2015 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 1  

I recall 13 years ago having the same Apocalyptic predictions being made about a blizzard in my area. At the time, I was temping for a big bank in town and was caught up in the hype. This was before Internet satellite imagery would show me what this last storm was doing __ skipping a bit to the east and making a beeline straight for the Boston area and Canadian Maritime provinces.

That particular forecast was for 2 feet of blowing snow over my hometown. It wound up doing that just over 100 miles north-northeast of there in the mountains in north New Jersey.

Whomever got the brunt of this week's storm, stay safe and dig out soon.
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2015 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 2  

The Triangle will see lows in the 20s and highs in the upper 40s for the next week or so. There's no sign of precipitation.

Darn.

I, for one, am quite glad of that! ;^)

Though I do wish it would warm up a bit more.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2015 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm up at the Connecticut/Massachusetts border, and we're getting our third big snowstorm in as many Mondays. Worst winter I've seen in at least 4 years... it snows and snows and snows, but barely thaws at all before the next batch arrives.

Could be worse. I have an aunt who lives in Boston, and last week she claimed they've long since run out of places and space to plow and move the snow. And they're getting hammered again tonight and tomorrow!

It's not that I mind the snow so much... just friggin' MELT already!!! I'm claustrophobic in my own driveway!

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2015 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 4  

What you're experiencing this year isn't unlike what I dealt with in the winter of '09-'10. First snowstorm hit with over 20" shortly before New Years Day, followed by a more average 6" snowfall after. After a mild spell, the heavy stuff returned, twice in a week! The snowpack remained in place well into March, even with milder temperatures moving back in.

I would expect that up your neck of the woods, not down here near the head of the Chesapeake Bay. Our winter has been the usual mild one with minimal snowfall (though threats of ice and freezing rain remains). However, there are going to be at least one more deeper freeze events coming, so I would rule myself out for a major snowfall, if it lines up just right...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2015 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm officially tired of the snow now. We had a big fall last Monday followed by some freezing rain. Some part of the process left a couple of inches of rock hard ice on my drive that can only be cleared slowly piece by piece by bashing the hell out of it with a metal shovel. This was followed up by another blizzard on Thursday and a few inches on top last night. It's all piled quite high now and the side roads have been covered in ice the whole time.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2015 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 6  

Ice storm here on Long Island. All schools cancelled.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2015 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 7  

A light dusting, here, sort of freshening the already accumulated snow.

I am worried, tho, about the eighteen inches already on my 5 flat rooftops!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2015 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 8  

Wrote too soon! Really coming down, now!

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2015 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

That's the problem, though... accumulated snow piling up on a low-grade roof. If it gets wet, that's a dangerous combination. Wet snow is like a sponge, adding weight already stacked up on surfaces.

I wonder if there's a way to get someone to sweep off that roof?

My concern over here is if we get another big stretch of snowstorms and the carport that my dad had built onto his garage gets another load on it. That roof is also a very low gradient, and it was a rather shoddy construction which prompted him to buttress it with supports. Can't see that lasting through six feet of snowfall!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version