Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man: Homecoming - SPOILERS start Pg 22 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The more I see the interaction between Tony and Peter, the more I like it. 
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks goodness the villain learns Spider-Man's true identity. I was worried Hollywood was actually going to do something original this time around.

Almost everyone he's spoken to has learned his identity, and this is just the trailer!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

For the most part, that looks pretty darn good.

My two major quibbles are making so much of a deal with the costume (and consequently having a naff version) and how far off model they have Ned Leeds. There are other high school chums they could use for that role or -- shock, horror -- they could just have created a new character if they needed to fill the hole of a high school confidante and peer.

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
My two major quibbles are making so much of a deal with the costume (and consequently having a naff version) and how far off model they have Ned Leeds. There are other high school chums they could use for that role or -- shock, horror -- they could just have created a new character if they needed to fill the hole of a high school confidante and peer.

What they did here is devious. They took a pre-existing character named Ganke from Miles Morales cast, but made him Peter's friend for this movie and gave him the name of a person from Peter's cast (Ned Leeds). 

A heavy-set, Asian teenager who is the best friend of Spider-Man and likes to build Lego sets with him, couldn't be anyone but Ganke. And yet, TPTB at either Marvel or Sony decided to name him Ned Leeds. Why? 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Ned Leeds" is pretty much Ganke Lee, Miles Morales' best friend in
Ultimate Spider-Man. It seems like Marvel wanted to use Ganke without
having to deal with rights issues, as he was created after the
Sony/Marvel deal.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The more I see the interaction between Tony and Peter, the less I like it. I keep expecting Tony to blow Peter's nose for him.

Part of what made the Lee and Ditko Spidey interesting was that he was in this all by himself with no one to talk to or share his secret with. Here, he has a support system built in and someone to fly in to help out whenever a rescue gets too big. All we need is the Watcher looming over it all asking us, "What If Spider-Man Were Twelve?"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It may be that we've seen most of Tony Stark's scenes from the final film in the trailer, and they're maximizing his presence because RDJ sells tickets.

But that said, the trailer does sort of present the movie as 'Iron Man trains his new sidekick'.

Edited by Steve De Young on 28 March 2017 at 4:03pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Peter literally says "I need to do this on my own..."

In the trailer, Peter trying to become a more independent hero. His relationship with Stark seems to be on shaky ground that may just lead to Peter going off on his own without the support of Stark or the Avengers. Stark might give him the suit back, but I think he'll expect Peter to handle things on his own.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I won't hope too hard, but if the movie ends with Spider-Man in a new
suit with some of the StarkTech and black trim removed as Spider-Man
has become more independent, I'll be really happy.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The more I see the interaction between Tony and Peter, the less I like it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~```
Sometimes differences of opinion can be a pain in the butt. Other times they can make for enjoyable conversations. This instance is certainly enjoyable. At least it is for me.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The isolation Peter Parker feels with the mantle of Spider-Man was certainly a key aspect of Spider-Man for many, many years... and, like  Michael, I will be happy if the movie ends with him in a more independent place.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My paraphrasing wasn't meant to create any friction, Anthony. I'm not that invested here, especially after Spidey's already checkered past on film. So far, it seems the Electric Company has come closest to the character as he appears on the page. This looks to be more of the same, in a younger direction, and with some really weird copping of material from the Ultimate Universe. Is this a case of Hollywood "whitewashing" Miles Morales back into Peter? Bizarre.

Peter being on his own was essential to the original, self-tortured version of the character. I like Robert Downey Jr. too, but I don't like what I'm seeing here in regards to his effect on Spidey. Even if we get an independent Spider-Man at the end of this picture, we still have to get through this picture to get there, meaning this guy... is never going to be Spidey at he appeared in the comics. Just one more near-miss. Hopefully an entertaining one.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

There's a certain irony in that attempting to get Spider-Man and his world more "right" than the Raimi movies did, the movies have moved further and further off-model.

The Raimi movies are a fairly reasonably approximation of Spider-Man's world. The right characters are there. The look and tone is there. Those movies fail when it comes to certain casting choices, and the actual nitty-gritty of characterization and storytelling. Squint, though, and it's somewhat in the ballpark.

The Marc Webb reboot movies finally gave us a wisecracking Spider-Man, a great costume (well, in the second one, at least) and the much-lamented mechanical web-shooters...but got a whole bunch of other stuff seriously wrong.

This new trailer doesn't make me particularly optimistic, but people seem to really like it. It looks like a case of trying too hard, and attempting to use Marvel's new poster boy, Iron Man, to draw people in. And, of course, because the Raimi films blew it, Iron Man (and now Deadpool) co-opted Spider-Man's trademark sense of humor, and thus got there first. Which is really, really annoying. Spider-Man should be Marvel's corporate mascot and resident smartmouth, dagnabbit!

Spider-Man is my single favorite superhero. The movies seem to keep moving further and further away from the comics I love. Yeah, it's not the 60s anymore, but I have no interest in seeing some radically remixed and rethought "modern-day" take (...with a Stark-tech suit that...makes him Spider-Man...?) blended together with the Ultimate version. If you want to cast a super-skinny, non-red headed, bi-racial Disney Channel actress as Peter's love interest, then go right ahead...but don't call her "MJ". And this new kid isn't any version of Ned Leeds I know. And hot Aunt May ain't Aunt May. Sigh.

Give me Lee-Ditko (or Lee-Romita, or whatever), or give me death! I don't think I'll ever get a Spider-Man movie which truly satisfies me. That ship seems to have sailed. The Raimi movies got somewhat close in certain areas, but also blew it in some pretty serious ways. Which is unfortunate.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 30 March 2017 at 10:03pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Check out the Electric Company, Greg. One of those episodes is even prescient as "Spidey goes up against... The Wall!" :-)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Brian, I didn't feel any friction in your comments. I liked the idea that the two of us could look at the same video clips and come away with different opinions.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I love the Peter Parker character with all my heart, but Marvel Studios' Spider-Man should've been Miles Morales. 

The Raimi and Webb movies are too recent, a third Peter Parker for the public to buy is a bit much. Plus, it would've gathered more attention and make Marvel Studios seem more progressive.

Most sadly, it seems that it is what they were trying to do until someone said: "It has to be Peter Parker. Period". And now we have this Parker/Morales hybrid that won't satisfy anyone fully. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

"And now we have this Parker/Morales hybrid that won't satisfy anyone fully."

Ummm....anyone?  I dunno.  I'm good with what I've seen from the MCU Spider-Man thus far.  The movie may yet disappoint me, but if the trailer is a true indicator, this might be my favorite Spider-Man on film or TV ever.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Other than giving Peter a similar buddy to Miles Morales, how is this a
Parker/Morales hybrid? It's not even the first adaptation to give Peter a
best friend/confidante in high school, whether it be Harry or MJ or
Gwen.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 3:02am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

"And now we have this Parker/Morales hybrid that won't satisfy anyone fully."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't read Ultimate Spider-Man  i'm not following any of the Spider titles right now. I know  that Miles is in the regular Marvel Universe and is sharing the Spider-Man name with Peter. Beyond that I don't have a clue what's been going on. 

So how is the Peter we are seeing on screen a hybrid?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Besides having a different supporting cast, Miles Morales seems like a black/hispanic version of Peter Parker, quite frankly. From what little I know, they tried to distance him from Peter only by making him NOT HAPPY to have his newfound powers in the beginning and wanting a normal life.

I'd prefer the films stick to the original character as I'm NOT a fan of new versions of established characters.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Greg Kirkman, I'm with you.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Heh, the MCU Peter's friend is Ned Leeds. But he looks
like Ganke, Miles Morales best friend from Ultimate
Spider-Man. Apparently, Brian Michael Bendis, who created
Ganke, is puzzled by this as are some fans.

Link

I thought we were supposed to eat the race swapping
sandwich and like it?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Well The MCU has been mixing bits and pieces from the Ultimate Universe almost from the start. So while this is a bit strange it isn't new for the studio.
As to the people who are upset that Miles Morales isn't SPIDER-MAN.  The general public may not know who he is and there's no way Marvel wasn't going to be using Peter Parker. I wouldn't mind if Miles made an appearance at some point. As an unimportant character at first. Just to introduce him to the world. Some point after that he could get a spin off.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Is there a significant section of people upset that Miles Morales isn't Spider-Man in the movieverse?

The criticism is not about Morales not being Spider-Man. The criticism is not about aspects of Ultimate being mixed with the mainstream universe. 

The criticism is the arbitrary attachment of the name of one distinct character (Ned Leeds) with all the other characteristics of a different character from a different ethnic background (Ganke Lee).

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Is there a significant section of people upset that Miles Morales isn't Spider-Man in the movieverse?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I don't know how large of a group it actually is but I've seen several people complaining that it isn't Miles.
~~~~~~~~~~

The criticism is not about Morales not being Spider-Man. The criticism is not about aspects of Ultimate being mixed with the mainstream universe. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~``
That's a criticism many of us have made here about the Avengers movies.
````````````````
The criticism is the arbitrary attachment of the name of one distinct character (Ned Leeds) with all the other characteristics of a different character from a different ethnic background (Ganke Lee).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Even though I liked Sam Jackson as  Nick Fury. I wasn't happy that it wasn't the Nick Fury I wanted to see. 

Things like Fury and Leeds and the costumes. Keep the Marvel movies from being perfect. That being said they are still closer to the characters I grew up with than anything Marvel has in their comics books. So I'll take what I can get and hope that someday I'll get to see a true and faithful adaption.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 07 April 2017 at 8:52pm

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version