Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man and Sony/Marvel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

OK, I see your broader point about the MCU  -- they have, indeed, been mixing Ultimate with mainstream from the get go. I think such behaviour is particularly ill-fitting for Spider-Man, though, because he (and his supporting cast) is so well known to the wider public.

This notwithstanding though, I think the point still stands that despite the mix-and-match approach to Marvel Studios when it comes to ultimate or mainstream, there is something illogical about arbitrarily trying to shoe-horn one specific character (in this case, Ganke Lee) into the guise of another. I just don't see the point.
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2017 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

OK, I see your broader point about the MCU  -- they have, indeed, been mixing Ultimate with mainstream from the get go. I think such behaviour is particularly ill-fitting for Spider-Man, though, because he (and his supporting cast) is so well known to the wider public.

This notwithstanding though, I think the point still stands that despite the mix-and-match approach to Marvel Studios when it comes to ultimate or mainstream, there is something illogical about arbitrarily trying to shoe-horn one specific character (in this case, Ganke Lee) into the guise of another. I just don't see the point.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree

I wouldn't mind seeing Miles in this movie. He could be another student at school. Give him a nod and move on. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2017 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've seen people here and elsewhere suggest they should have brought in Miles Morales instead of Peter Parker.

My response to that is....NO! Just about everyone knows who Peter Parker is. Even if they don't read comics. Miles Morales, on the other hand, would elicit a blank stare if you asked the average person who that is. A movie featuring him would lead to a lot of people asking `Why is a black guy posing as Spider-Man and wearing a costume that looks nothing like his?'

The way to do Miles Morales is to bring him in is as a non-powered classmate of Peter's who gains his powers in the second or third movie he is in, and becoming a second Spider-Man, running around at the same time as Peter, not replacing him.

Back to Top profile | search | email

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So, they have released the first clip from the film. All I can say is ..... spider sense?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Why would his good friend trigger his Spider Sense?

His friend means him no harm.  

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The preview before GotGv2 was great.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

a second Spider-Man, running around at the same time as Peter

And the bastardization of Marvel into DC continues...

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Some of you may have seen this already, but I think this looks great:

Image result for spider-man homecoming kirby poster

This really makes me smile.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

From Nerdist:  "THE SPIDEY LIFE!"

Back to Top profile | search | www

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I wonder if (and I hope) this is going to be included in the soundtrack:

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That was epic.

When music has been indelibly linked with a character, I think it's great to include it in new projects, even it's a jump from TV to film.

Including the Lonely Man theme in THE INCREDIBLE HULK was a nice touch. This would be, too.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 22 May 2017 at 1:24pm

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I got goosebumps.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Watching the trailer for SPIDER-MAN - HOMECOMING, I am increasingly convinced that the arbitrary race-swapping is now being accomplished by a studio exec throwing darts at a bulletin board festooned with the character names.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Had a customer get upset with me the other day because I said I hated the seemingly arbitrary race-swapping that has taken over comics.  I said that I thought it would be a lot better for the companies to be creating new characters for the demographics they were pursuing.

He basically agreed until Miles Morales came up.  I said that I was fine with them coming up with a Latino character with spider-like powers but don't call him Spider-Man!  Which spun him off into chiding me because I just didn't understand what it was like to be a minority and there's nothing that says Spider-Man has to be white.

Said that it wasn't fair because when Spider-Man was created, all the creators were white so there couldn't be minority characters.

He didn't seem to hear me when I agreed that it was unfair at that time but that doesn't justify changing an established character now.  Spider-Man was created as a white kid named Peter Parker.  Changing Spider-Man into a Latino character now, because there's nothing that says he couldn't have been a Latino when he was created is not justified.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I can see people not being able to relate to characters like Bruce Wayne or Superman. Who among us is a billionaire or has had his parents murdered in front of him ? Or is an alien from another planet with fantastic power. 

Peter Parker on the other hand is a character easily identifiable regardless of your ethnic or social background. The idea that you can't relate to him just because he's white is silly.

Stan wanted the mask on Peter so that anyone could picture themselves as Spider-Man. But the success of the character isn't based on Spider-Man alone. It's Trials and Tribbleations( :D) of Peter Parker as well.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I don't want to sound like I'm attacking you Anthony, so please don't take it that way but I tire of the "relating" argument.  Isn't the job of the writer to tell a good story about a character?

Does a character even have to be personally relateable?  I mean, isn't a big part of fantasy fiction to get immersed in stories that you couldn't ever do?  Imagination should still play a part in all of this.  

The first time I ever heard the argument about relating to a character were the Batman vs. Superman arguments of the '80's.  Batman was more relateable because he's human.  Well, I can just as easily...maybe even more easily imagine being from another planet than I can imagine being a billionaire, genius, greatest detective, fighter, etc.

Superman's abilities come from being an alien while Bruce Wayne has somehow become the richest, best at everything there is bad-ass.  There isn't enough time or money to actually do that and seems so much more unrelateable than an alien from another planet.

In the end, it's all just an excuse for bad writing.  JB's Superman run clearly illustrates that there are plenty of stories to tell about a character that no one can personally relate to.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I don't want to sound like I'm attacking you Anthony, so please don't take it that way but I tire of the "relating" argument.  Isn't the job of the writer to tell a good story about a character?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
Yes it's the writers job to tell a good story.  And regardless of being able to connect with the character or not it's still possible to enjoy the story. The reader being able to identify with some of the characters within the story. Help draw the reader into the story. 

Now I disagree with you that it's bad writing to try to include characters that people can relate with. That's true of all fiction not just comics.

For those people who want to use it as an argument for  changing preexisting characters just to suit the needs of the writer or a certain group of people. Now that's bad writing.

Going back to Spider-Man. Stan had the right idea. Regardless of what Peter looked like. That visual happen to be a nerdy white boy. Doesn't matter. Because it isn't his being white that people will relate with. It's the everyday problems he had as a teenager that people identified with. 
Spider-Man wearing the mask meant that anyone regardless of skin color could escape into that fantasy. In this way Spider-Man and Peter Parker are two different characters.  

Miles Morales should be treated the same way. He just shouldn't be named Spider-Man. The people who would argue that changing his name from Spider-Man to something else would lessen the characters importance. Don't know what the heck they are talking about.  The world knows Spider-Man as Peter Parker not  Miles. Regardless of how much his supporters want to kid themselves that's the truth.

That lessens the character. Now admittedly I don't know much about Miles. But from what I know he seems likable enough. I think he could stand on his own two feet. He needs to get out from under the Spider's shadow and start his own legacy.  I'd change the name and alter the costume slightly. I think his popularity might improve. At the very least it won't drop. I can also see him make his way onto the big screen faster.

Regardless of whatever rumors out there I don't think Sony or Disney would want to replace the character that the entire world knows as Peter with a character that's a relatively unknown.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I think that once RDJ ages out of being Tony Stark, legacy heroes will
become the norm in the MCU.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I think that once RDJ ages out of being Tony Stark, legacy heroes will 
become the norm in the MCU.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's a possiblity. I think it would be a mistake tho. They should just recast  the part.  It's worked for decades with James Bond.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Well, remember when many thought Zendaya was cast as Mary Jane?? LOL

Never liked the idea of Miles Morales, so when he shows up on the big screen, I'll be looking elsewhere for my entertainment.

I understand the need for diversity, but race-swapping in comics or the movie adaptations is just plain lazy.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2017 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Isn't the job of the writer to tell a good story about a character?

Nowadays the job of the writer is to tell a profitable story about a character, truth be told. So making it good means making it good for as large of an audience as possible which is not the same as making the right story.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Those who support colorblind casting may have good intentions, but their heads are situated between their asscheeks. Equality means people having a chance at getting to where they want to be, irrespective of identity. Equality does not mean taking over whatever White people have.  

Edited by Joe Zhang on 16 June 2017 at 6:13pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Those who support colorblind casting may have good intentions, but
their heads are situated between their asscheeks.

------

Race-swapping does not equal colorblind casting. People may insis
they are doing the latter when they race-swap, but it's not colorblind at
all.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I support colorblind casting. In the cases where the character hasn't been established as looking a certain way. Or from being from a geographical location or ethnic background that would preclude that kind of casting choice. 

Now if an actor is willing to alter his appearance through make up and other methods in order to look the part. Than I wouldn't care if my Aunt Petunia were cast as Peter Parker.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I'm perfectly fine with a producer doing colorblind casting. Come up with a character and you can cast whomever you want.

But a latino 50-year-old woman as Spider-Man or a lame Jewish black man from Mongolia  as Sherlock Holmes just misses it completely.

I feel that when the question is "Is there any reason this established character couldn't be... <female, black, white, brown, green, young, old, gay, etc.>" then the answer is, "Yeah... because that's not who the character is."  Dame Judi Densch will just never be the Incredible Hulk, no matter how fabulous an actor she is...

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version