Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: One of those "Duh" moments! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 1  

I had one of those "duh" moments, where I have a realization about something that should have been obvious to me from the start.

I saw someone with the last name of "Marko" credited on a TV show, and that made me immediately think of Cain Marko, The Juggernaut. It all of a sudden hit me that the character's real name is a play on "the mark of Cain," the biblical story about the son of Adam & Eve who killed his brother, Abel. Cain Marko is Charles Xavier's step-brother and has tried to kill him in the past. Take Cain Marko's name and reverse it and you have "Marko, Cain" or "Mark of Cain."

Duh!

I don't recall ever seeing anyone point this out in any past articles or interviews, but it seems so obvious now that it came to me.

Does anyone else have any "Duh" stories of their own to share?
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 2  

Not certain this is what you're looking for, but when I was a kid I thought the name of Superman's city-stealing foe was pronounced "Bran-ick." It wasn't until years later that my brain focused and I realized it was "Brain-ee-ack."

That was more of an eye-roll than a "duh," tho. When I got the correct pronunciation I realized this was yet another villain who was basically called "Mr. Badguy."

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 3  

For some reason I always read Thor's boots as having some tiger-stripe
pattern, and even various Thor toys I collected had that pattern painted on
flatly. It wasn't until I saw a Bowen statue that I realized those were straps
wrapping around Thor's boots.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 4  

Matt, I wouldn't have thought of that until you mentioned it! How's that for a "Duh!" moment?

I remember listening to Nigel Kennedy's recording of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons some years ago. Upon reading the linear notes, I discovered that the Italian for Summer was "L'estate". And suddenly I realised where Anne Rice got the name for her main protagonist.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 5  

…Vivaldi's The Four Seasons…

••

Sidebar: I'm learning "Spring" on the piano!

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 6  

For the longest time I was calling Dr. Strangelove "Dr.Strangeglove"
most likely influenced by the vhs cover art.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 7  

I was at least 25 before I realized that Arby's is so-named because RB="roast beef".  I'm equally blown away by Matt's "Cain Marko" revelation.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 8  

Don't ask me why or where it started, but I assumed Doctor Doom was from another planet. Sticking with that theme, I was quite surprised when I learnt that the Doctor (from DOCTOR WHO) was an alien. I was sure he was a human!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 9  

I swear, it was only within the last 5 years or so that I finally put together the amusing progression of the names Ant-Man and Giant-Man!

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 10  

Never thought of the Arby's or Cain Marko before, learn something new every day.

Regarding Thor's boots, I remember thinking the same thing for the longest time. And, it came about more of me analyzing and thinking that instead of stripes, wouldn't straps make more sense and then realizing that was indeed what the art was meant to be a short-hand for.

I remember the first time that I found out that Hobbes from "Calvin and Hobbes" was a stuffed toy. I had somehow gone for over a month before seeing a reference to the stuffed animal. I thought it was a big revelation that opened up all sorts of layers to the strip, everyone else thought it was pretty obvious. Who would let a kid have a pet tiger? I'd point out the talking pet penguin of Bloom County, or Snoopy acting as much like the kids and even mistaken for a kid in Peanuts. I just bought into what I thought was the basic premise of the strip

And, because I don't always pronounce things outloud in my brain, it wasn't until I actually was reading to someone a Sunday "Kudzu" strip that I got the pun of the Reverend's name: Will B. Dunn. I started laughing at the second panel of him praying, "this is your Will B. Dunn" as I had just gotten the joke.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joie Simmons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 11  

I've known Madman's name was Frank Einstein since the early 90's when Dark Horse published it. It wasn't until a couple months ago I realized that "Frank Einstein" was a play on Frankenstein.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2015 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 12  

Regarding Thor's boots, I remember thinking the same thing for the longest time.

••

For Thor, I was surprised to see toys and statues rendering the wings on his helmet WHITE, as if they are real bird wings! I'd taken for granted that they were metal.

≠≠

I've known Madman's name was Frank Einstein since the early 90's when Dark Horse published it. It wasn't until a couple months ago I realized that "Frank Einstein" was a play on Frankenstein.

••

You can be forgiven that one, since the pronunciation is different. Sort of like how the word "polish" is pronounced differently when capitalized.

Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version