Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Modus Operandi (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 1  

In early 1990's I received a 'try-out' pack from Marvel (UK), organised thanks to a chance Convention encounter. This pack came with various character references and general Do's & Don't's.

I recently rediscovered this and on reading through thought I'd share the Pencilling Do's & Don't's with those here-in-and-abouts, enjoy. 

"Pencilling: 
1. Stick To Kirby Layouts.
The sort of page layouts favoured by Frank Bellamy on 'Thunderbirds' and Steve Bissette on 'Swamp Thing' (affectionately known as 'Broken Glass' layouts) only complicate the story-telling process and thus make the reader's 'job' a lot harder. It is also advisable to avoid the 'Buscema' layout as this often calls for the addition of arrows to clearly show the progress of action.
2. Avoid Overlapping Panels At ALL Times.
Again, this sort of gimmick tends to complicate the flow of the narrative from frame to frame. If the eye of the reader is drawn from Panel 1 to Panel 3 because the head of a character in the latter panel intrudes on the former (or the leg of a character in the first panel stick down into the third) then the artist is unnecessarily confusing the progress of the story.
3. Avoid Insetting Panels Over or In Other Panels.
Inset panels often look nice but can and do distract from the detail of the panel that the first is set in.
4. Do NOT Bleed Artwork Outside The Dimensions of the Standard Page Area.
Bleeding can be as painful to a page as it can be to you - don't do it! 
5. Always Ensure That There is PLENTY of Room for Captions and Dialogue.
The placement of Balloons and captions is the responsibility of the penciller NOT the letterer- if the penciller makes an allowance for dialogue when he/she draws the artwork then there will be no unnecessary script alterations before the strip is lettered. As a general rule, bear in mind that balloons float UP. Take a look at any example of John Byrne's work and you will find that only rarely are captions and dialogue positioned at the bottom of a panel. Again, as a general rule, leave the top third of panels free of important action or detail.
6. The Drawing of Sound Effects Should Be Left to the Letterer.

7. Characters Should be Sharply Defined and Clearly Outlined.
We're producing colour comics here and you should always strive to make the colourists job as simple as possible. If a character is featured in a close up, it is probably best to drop out the background altogether.
8. Draw What is Asked For in the Script.
Cut corners only when you feel that doing so will help the flow of the story.
9. Pages Should Feature the Following Information (in INK) in the Top, Right-Hand Corner of the Page.
Title of the Comic/Issue Number/Page Number."

[edited]The number "7" for the symbol "&".

Edited by Darren Taylor on 26 February 2015 at 8:20am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 2  

Shooter was fired in 1987, so "the early 90s" would not be under his tenure as EiC, but, BOY! This list sure seems to originate deep in his shadow -- and the shadow of Mort Weisinger!

Anyway. . . .

1. Wrong

2. Wrong

3. Wrong

4. Wrong

5. Right. I normally tell wannabe artists to arbitrarily "kill" the top quarter to a third of every panel. Don't put anything important there. (I learned this the hard way -- working with Chris Claremont!)

6. Drawing, yes. Placement, no.

7. Duh!

8. There is an important phrase missing here: "when possible." Far too many writers do not think in pictures. I have often described scripts in which impossible actions (real movement, for instance) or angles (basically, looking in more than one direction at once) or character positions (dialog does not consider the position of the characters in previous and subsequent panels) are asked for. Most often, such scripts are written by people who think they are screenwriters.

9. Duh!

Back to Top profile | search

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 3  

I can't think of too many artist working at Marvel right now that actually follow any of those rules.

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4  

Was Marvel using a "full script" approach then? Was that something that varied by writer/penciler?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 5  

Roy, the accompanying story was "full script", memory serving.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 6  

Points 1 through to (and including) 4, to me, could all have been bled into a single point related to storytelling. 

Be clear in your panel layout, keeping in mind the flow of the readers eye across the page and remember not to have anything important in the bleed area.

Okay, that reads as two points...so maybe 1-4 could have been two points.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 7  

---8. There is an important phrase missing here: "when possible."---JB

I'm loving this observation, John. 

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 8  

If those guidelines came from Marvel UK in the 90s, then I'm almost 100% certain that the reference to a 'Buscema layout'* refers very specifically to what I call "two wides and a tall', which I banged on about at tedious length here and which, generally speaking, I would argue is a poor layout choice since it gives rise to a counter-intuitive reading order.

*I know then-Marvel-UK-editor John Freeman quite well, and John has frequently referred to this panel arrangement as a 'Buscema layout', although I can't say that the association is particularly strong in my mind.

(EDIT: I should add that the linked blog article was one of a series of posts about things novice artists no longer get told because editorial budgets have been cut to the bone over the years and editors just don't have time to do critiques any more…)

Edited by J W Campbell on 26 February 2015 at 10:57am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 9  

It was the lovely John Freeman who was kind enough (back then) to send me the aforementioned package.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 10  

If this came from Marvel UK it explains the Bellamy reference!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 11  

---8. There is an important phrase missing here: "when possible."---JB

I'm loving this observation, John.

••

Archie Goodwin used to thumbnail his scripts, so he could see right on the page whether something he was asking for was possible to draw. If more of these prima donna writers who insist on doing everything full script would follow Archie's lead, there would be a lot more happy (or as happy as we get!) artist!!

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, it was from Marvel UK.

Also shows that your influence was being felt far and wide John. Given you are being held up as a healthy example to follow for point 5.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version