Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: The Top 40 of the biggest Bronze Age events. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was re-reading Back Issue #49 and Editor Michael Eury listed the biggest events in the Bronze Age, Top 40 style. I love the Bronze Age and I think that he hit the nail on the head with this list. I realize that the Bronze Age holds a special place in the hearts of a lot of JBF members

1.O1.O’Neil and Adams on Batman-Detective Comics #395(Jan 1970)

2.     2.Green Lantern/Green Arrow #79 (Apr 1970)

3.     3.Conan the Barbarian #1 (Oct 1970)

4.     4.KIRBY IS COMING!

5.     5.Kryptonite Nevermore!-Superman #223 (Jan 1971)

6.     6.Spider-Man drug issues-Amazing Spider-Man #96-98(May-July 1971)

7.     7.Black and White magazines

8.     8.Relaxing of the CCA

9.      9.Swamp Thing-House of Secrets #92 (Jun-Jul 1971)

10.  10.100-PageSuper Spectaculars (1971)

11.  11.JonahHex-All-Star Western #10 (Feb-Mar 1972)

12.  12.Tombof Dracula (Apr 1972)

13.  13.LukeCage-Hero for Hire #1 (July 1972)

14.  14.TabloidComics (Dec 1972)

15.  15.Starlin’sCosmic Odyssey-Captain Marvel #25 (Mar 1973)

16.  16.Deathof Gwen Stacy-Amazing Spider-Man #122 (Jul 1973)

17.  17.Masterof Kung Fu-Special Marvel Edition #15 (Dec 1973)

18.  18.ThePunisher-Amazing Spider-Man #129 (Feb 1974)

19.  19.Deathlokthe Demolisher-Astonishing Tales #24 (Aug 1974)

20.  20.Wolverine-IncredibleHulk #181 (Nov 1974)

21.  21.AtlasComics (1975)

22. 22.Giant-SizeX-Men #1

23.  23.WonderWoman on TV (1975)

24.  24.Howardthe Duck #1 (Jan 1976)

25.  25.Supermanvs. The Amazing Spider-Man (Jan 1976)

26.  26.AmericanSplendor #1 (1976)

27.  26.JenetteKahn at DC (1976)

28.  27.LiberatedMarvel Heroines-Ms. Marvel #1 (Jan 1977)

29. .28.2000A.D. (Feb 1977)

30.  29.HeavyMetal #1 (Apr 1977)

31.  30.StarWars #1 (Jul 1977)

32.  31.“TheDefinitive Batman”-Englehart/Rogers Detective Comics #471 (Aug 1977)

33.  32.Cerebusthe Aardvark #1 (Dec 1977)

34.  33.Claremont/Byrneon X-Men

35.  34.TheDC Implosion (1978)

36.  35.Elfquest-FantasyQuarterly #1 (Spring 1978)

37.  36.Birthof the Graphic Novel-McGregor/Gulacy’s Sabre (Aug 1978)

38.  37.Superman:TheMovie (Dec 1978)

39.  39.FrankMiller on Daredevil #158 w/ McKenzie

40.  40.Thefirst mini-series- World of Krypton #1 (July 1979)

Th He also mentions another Bronze Age milestone-The Age of the Artist-Bronze Age "breakouts" include- John Byrne, Howard Chaykin, Dave Cockrum, Michael Golden, Paul Gulacy, Mike Grell, Michael Kaluta, Frank Miller, George Perez, Marshall Rogers, Walter Simonson, Jim Starlin, Barry Smith and Berni Wrightson.  

ToTAnd, looking back, personally for me, there will never be another time for comics, like the Bronze Age. I think that decade was for readers like myself, lightning in a bottle. I miss those days.

ToT

To

Al

Al

Edited by Steve Ogden on 26 February 2015 at 11:26pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2015 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

I agree with most of that list. Although, I think I'd take off number 19
and put SUPERMAN VS. MUHAMMAD ALI at number 5 and drop the
current 5-18 down a notch.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 3  

Oh, look, all this stuff came in third.

(A reminder of how much I loathe this golden/silver/bronze nonsense.)

Back to Top profile | search

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 4  

The order listed is by the year  of that particular "event" (not importance of one over the other) from the beginning to the end of the Bronze Age. 

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 5  

JB, what was your feeling and that of your contemporaries at the time when Jenette Kahn came to DC?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 6  

The order listed is by the year of that particular "event" (not importance of one over the other) from the beginning to the end of the Bronze Age.

••

You seem to have missed my point, which I shall reiterate:

Decades ago, some people started referring to the 1940s as the "Golden Age" of comics. This is a term lifted from any of a number of other such references, the Golden Age of Greece, the Golden Age of Exploration, the Golden Age of Automobiles, the Golden Age of TransAtlantic Travel, etc. In each instance the term referred to the beginning of something, when people were exploring and discovering and everything was new.

Unfortunately, almost immediately after this term appeared in comics, there were idiots (imho) who crossed the term with the Olympics, and gave us the Silver and Bronze ages. (In the real world, the Bronze Age was a reference to when various cultures began using that metal to make tools and weapons, not a reference to those cultures "coming in third," as with a Bronze medal.)

So, because of this absurd cross-polination, the "Marvel Age" of Lee and Kirby and Ditko and the FF and Spider-Man and the X-Men and the Avengers and the Hulk and so much more was placed in the "Silver Age," automatically placing all that work as somehow inferior to the work done in the previous decades. (It also generated a great deal of utterly pointless debate over when one "Age" ended and another began.)

So I, for decades, had discouraged the use of these "age" labels, and suggested that instead we use the far more clear and non-pejorative decades to describe when something was published. The Forties. The Fifties. The Sixties. Simple!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 7  

Also, due to Lack of originality, the scale of ages beyond the Bronze
Age starts to slide. No matter what "age" we're in, it's always going to
be the Modern Age. Well, when does that end? What do we call the
last Modern Age?

But, if we were to play this game, I suggest that we're in the
Diamond Age. I suggest this for three reasons.

@1. Superman and Batman have hit there 75th.
2. Being a strong collector or reader today will effect your pocketbook
as much as buying an engagement ring.
3. As hard as a diamond is, it's become THAT hard to get into a most
monthly title that have been going on for a half dozen issues or
more.@

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 8  

Breaking the Industry's history by Decades works remarkably well, given that no one actually planned it that way.

The Forties give us the birth of the Superhero in the modern sense, and and explosion of creativity. Also an explosion of utter crap, but that's how it goes!

The Fifties see American comics becoming soft and complacent, with the Comics Code grinding the spine out of most books, and little or nothing in the way of real innovation. Even the "rebirth" of Superheroes in the middle of the Decade was very derivative.

The Sixties gives us comics beginning to develop a "social conscience," as well as starting to forget the target audience. It begins with the birth of the "Marvel Age," another creative explosion, and continues up thru GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW and the coming of "relevance".

The Seventies see plummeting sales, but also the beginnings of the Direct Sales Market, and a distinct shift, if a subtle one, from genuine readers to "collectors" and "speculators."

The Eighties see the shift into more and more product created solely for the DSM, and the beginnings of a dependence upon that extremely narrow venue. Also, "grim and gritty" becomes the rule.

The Nineties arrive, and the madness is locked in. The Speculators are our gods, and everything is about EVENTS and GIMMICKS.

The Century Turns -- and it's pretty much the Nineties continued, with ever shrinking audiences and more and more reliance on suicidally short-term thinking.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 9  

Re: the Diamond Age. Also appropriate in that there's only one significant comic book distributor left in the country: Diamond, aka DCD. 

Harri Jokinen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 10  

Calling that a Bronze Age list is doubly ridiculous seeing as it's clearly and conveniently a 70s list. I used to think the Bronze Age extended until the Image age, but what the hey.

Would also have liked to see them in order of importance rather than chronological.

QUOTE:
Also, due to Lack of originality, the scale of ages beyond the Bronze
Age starts to slide. No matter what "age" we're in, it's always going to
be the Modern Age. Well, when does that end? What do we call the
last Modern Age?

Easy. The post-modern age. That's always a cool term. After that the post-post-modern, post-post-post-modern etc. At least we won't have to refer to things by decade, right?

Calling the current era the diamond era is very gracious.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 11  

Bulfinch's Mythology lists ages of Gold, Silver, Brass, and Iron, but I've often wondered how much of it is actually from the Greek myths and how much his fannish interpretation.

Of more verifiable antiquity is the Book of Daniel, in which King Nebuchadnezzar had a dream of future kingdoms in the metaphor of a giant statue.  The head was gold, chest and arms silver, stomach to thighs bronze, legs iron, and feet iron mixed with clay (the translation I'm looking at now says partly iron and partly tile, which makes more sense from a structural engineering view, but the phrase "feet of tile" would have never caught on).  As that covers everything -- from head to toe -- does that mean comics have to have a sliding timeline?  Eventually the Golden Age will encompass the creation of Spider-Man, with the founding of Image in the Silver Age, and so on?

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2015 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

The Century Turns -- and it's pretty much the Nineties continued, with ever shrinking audiences and more and more reliance on suicidally short-term thinking

Also - the emphasis on movies has become "the tail wagging the dog" since that's where the promise of big money is.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version