Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Studying Languages With Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2015 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

Not sure how many here have tried, but comic books are just about the best way there is to study foreign languages. After all, that's how I achieved my remarkably high level of English. ;)

Comic book dialogue is easy to read, the pictures help in figuring out what's going on, unlike with books, and you can follow it in your own pace, unlike subtitles.

I was reminded of this when I had the brainstorm of combining my two goals of honing up on my Swedish (which I have to do) and getting acquainted with some of DCs finest material (which I wanted to do). My DC-collecting was cut quite short as a kid (Hey! You pick your team and you go with it), so it'll be pretty interesting to see how the material holds up to an adult newbie.

I started off with a Superman Classics book whose contents can be pretty much split into three parts. Old-timer Golden/Silver age stuff that introduced certain important characters, a Byrne reboot era issue featuring the same character, and a modern era story featuring the character.

Now, reading this stuff in a language you're not so fluent in really gives a good view on how comics have evolved over the years. The old stuff is really simple and predictable dialogue-wise. My Swedish is decent, but I don't think I would need almost any training to understand the language. As a long-term comic reader the dialogue is so predictable to me I barely even need to read it, as I can already guess what the characters are saying.

Come the JB-era, and of course the stories are a lot more evolved. Compared to the early stuff I don't get the feeling I'm reading a book for kiddies. I'm happy to report that due to the crisp art and storytelling it is still quite easy to figure out what everybody is saying. This material is probably the most useful to me study-wise (not to mention entertainment-wise).

Come the modern era, and things have changed drastically. The storytelling often consists of pin-ups with complex narration that seems to have nothing to do with the images. The dialogue skips from gibberish to simple one-liners, and at this point the comic loses its advantage over the book or subtitle as a learning tool. I have no idea what was going on in some of these stories. Hmm, or maybe it's not a language issue?

Maybe I'll just buy JB-material in any published language and become a real-life Doug Ramsey in no time?

BTW, the first appearance of Bizarro is a true classic, all the way from the Clouseauesque scientist to Bizarro's pathos to Superboy trying to nuke him and then throwing in the towel when it fails.

Next up, Batman: Klassiska Serier av Neal Adams. This should be interesting.

Back to Top profile | search

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2015 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

Harri>>Not sure how many here have tried, but comic books are just about the best way there is to study foreign languages. After all, that's how I achieved my remarkably high level of English. ;)<<

For some reason I'm envisioning you saying "It bids fair to drive me mad!" in casual conversation, then people look at you funny.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2015 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 3  

Well, they're certainly a fun way to study a language, and there's nothing wrong with that.  As I recently posted in another thread, I've been giving my nephew Spanish language editions of JB TPBs as a fun way to supplement his high school Spanish lessons.  Not super-easy to find from here in New Jersey, but some can be found on eBay.  Just before the first Avengers movie came out, I got him this collection of the first four or five issues of the Avengers.

Every once in a while, when I look to thin out the old comic book collection, I try to give the books away to people who are still learning English.  Because, again, who says at least some of learning a new language can't be fun?

Edited by Josh Goldberg on 04 March 2015 at 6:11am

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2015 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

You're speaking of comics books but obviously this extends to other printed media. I recently reread a modern French translation of the Maltese Falcon and it was a delightfully new/old experience.

Like re-watching an episode of Star Trek:TOS and noting something "new" that I missed before.

I plan to hunt down copies of Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe novel translations in Italian for the very precise reason of improving my Italian which is terrible. I can hear and read Italian with 70% understanding -- even that Sicilian in the first two Godfather films -- but the true command of a language lies in being able to extemporize with it, in dialogue with a language native.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2015 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

A Spanish version I read years ago referred to the Hulk as "La Masa" or "The Mass" which I thought was appropriate inasmuch as I visualize The Hulk's power as arising from colossal density -- much like the Vision gets stronger as he gets more dense.

Also, "Hulk" in Spanish appears to translate into ...

1. casco (m) carcasa (f) (of ship)
2. armatoste (m) (large thing) mole (f) mastodonte

which explains for me why the old comic I read translated "The Hulk" to "La Masa".

All this to mean that there is danger in reading translations is that artistic liberties can be taken that distort the translation.

It's like reading a French comic book with outbursts like "Bon Dieu", "Zut alors", "Bonsang", "Et ta soeur" and thinking you can go to Paris and successfully order beer from the garçon with "Zut alors, je veux une bière, et ta soeur!".

You only MIGHT get a beer.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 04 March 2015 at 1:17pm

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2015 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Harri, what part of Finland do you live in?  

My Great-grandfather was from Sibbo/Sippo and came over to America in 1914. I'm thinking of stopping over for a couple of days next August to visit the town and find out what I can about my ancestors. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2015 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 7  

That being said, the old "Incredible Hulk" TV show aired in many Spanish-speaking countries as "El Hombre Increible".

And I absolutely love, love, love watching American TV shows and movies dubbed in Spanish (dubbed, not subtitled).  I seek out those DVDs, and I'm disappointed when I can't find that option (though I'm grateful that DVDs have made that option much more plentiful, 'cause back in the VHS days, the pickings were slim indeed).

And I do find that it can be a significantly different experience.  True story: I had seen STAR TREK VI several times in the theaters.  Every time, when Kirk tells Spock that everybody's human and Spock replies that he finds that insulting, the audience laughed.  But I never did, and couldn't understand why people were laughing.
A few years later, after seeing the movie countless more times on home video, I saw it one night on one of the Spanish channels.  And even though it was the umpteenth viewing and I knew the line was coming, that night, dubbed in Spanish, for the very first time, it made me laugh out loud.
I can't explain it, but somehow, even when re-watching something I'm very familiar with in English, the Spanish-dubbed version comes at me from a slightly different angle and makes it a different experience.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2015 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 8  

Aside from the novelty/sentimental value, this is why I
bought the Italian editions I posted in another thread -
to help improve my (very) limited Italian!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version