Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Q for JB & Forum- Thought Balloons (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2015 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 1  

No, sir. Captain Garth, Starship Fleet Captain. That's an honorable title...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2015 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 2  

I think of it as comics are neither books nor movies, but contain many of the strengths of both. Captions and thought balloons are tools that allow them to do things that are difficult for movies to pull off. As tools, they can be overused, but when used correctly they can tell a story or scene more powerfully and intimately than just a visual could do. You can have a scene of a guy kissing a girl and it's romantic... but if you could hear their thoughts
Him: I can't believe she's in to me!
Her: Gotcha... one step closer to that money.
or
"Not bad, but I'd rather be eating a steak."
or
"uh, use a breathmint why don't you.... is that his tongue?"
or
"Do I taste peanuts... oh God! My allergy!"

Reading the reprints of Marvel's b/w Doc Savage, it was heavy on captions, but those captions added a lot of the tone and style to the story. Then you don't need the even more clunky "as you know, Bob..." exposition. 

Personally, I like comics that you read, that have narrative voice and style along with the visual narrative. Without it, they feel very shallow, that all you're getting is the surface story. A great comic book story would be hard to do as a movie not because of the FX budget, but because there's stuff in there that doesn't simply translate. But it's also knowing as Stan Lee alluded to in one of his captions, knowing when to shut up and get out of the way of the pictures. Because using a tool correctly, is also knowing when not to use it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 April 2015 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 3  

It's been said that the three most important words in Science are I WAS WRONG. In comics, make that I SHOULD STOP.

Knowing when to stop is one of the most important lessons to learn, no matter what the job. Sometimes less IS more.

Back to Top profile | search

Chris Basken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2015 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 4  

IMHO, that FF page above is a great example of good thought balloon use. For me, they work best when the moment is about a single character, with the story (at that point in time) unfolding mostly within his own head. That brings me INTO the story.

An example of something that pushes me OUT OF the story is when we have an ensemble scene with multiple characters interacting, and then suddenly we're seeing one (or worse, more than one) character's thoughts*. That kills any sense of "being there" I might have had. The writer might as well just have one of the characters say "Yeah, but we're all just drawings on a page..."

Where I could take either thought balloons or narrative panels is that kind of story-opening "Captain's Log" narrative, where we're getting a setup through a single character's point of view. I'm mostly agnostic there, although I tend to like narrative panels if it's supposed to be an actual recording of someone speaking, like a real Captain's Log.

* Obviously excluding any kind of telepathic communication.
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2015 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wallace, the mind-transfer trick Doom employs in that issue goes all the
way back to issue #10 of the Fantastic Four in which Doom switched
minds with Mr. Fantastic.

Thanks, Brian. I should have remembered that! Isn't that also the issue
where Johnny uses some kind of heat mirage power?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2015 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

True! He made an illusory stick of dynamite appear to flush out the true Doom's identity. Ah, those early days of Marvel when there were all sorts of additional powers in everyone's bag of tricks... :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version