Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10
Topic: RIP - Herb Trimpe (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2015 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 1  

This Comic Book Legends Revealed article talks about Herb Trimpe's change in art style during the 90's, including some comments from Herb himself.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/02/19/comic-bo ok-legends-revealed-195/
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2015 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 2  

Wallace, I've never read that one but it looks good!  I don't know Trimpe's work that well other than a couple dozen Hulks from that same era.  My favorite is ten issues earlier.  Penciled and inked by Herb, for me it's one of the best Hulk fights with a heavy hitter of that period.  He battles Sub-Mariner and their climactic underwater collision results in tsunamis and the Hulk being catapulted hundreds of miles in the air.  Really captured my imagination as a kid and the art was gorgeous.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2015 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

I loved Herb's style, which I thought of as a mixture of the two Jacks, Kirby and Davis.  The above Hulk/Namor battle was a big favourite of mine when I was a kid. I also loved Herb's Hulk issues with Steve Englehart and Sal Trapani, which were among the first American comics I owned, and a later brief stint with Englehart on Super-Villain Team-Up, which introduced the Shroud and featured Henry Kissinger in negotiations with Doctor Doom. Herb also worked excellently with Len Wein, especially on Incredible Hulk #182 (Between Hammer and Anvil, featuring the memorable hobo character Crackajack Jackson) and #189's Mole Man story, None Are So Blind.
Herb also did sterling work for Marvel UK on Captain Britain #1-24 with Chris Claremont, Gary Friedrich and Fred Kida, and the landscape pin-up, Into Battle, from Super Spider-Man With the Super-Heroes #165.
http://psycodialetical.tumblr.com/post/44573993153/into-batt le-this-centre-spread-pin-up-by-herb
I wasn't so keen on Herb's later stuff, as the licenced characters weren't really my cup of tea, and he was often teamed with writers and/or inkers I didn't really rate, but there were still occasional gems such as the Skywarriors strips he wrote, pencilled and inked in Savage Tales volume 2 and "The Main Event" in Marvel Comics Presents #45, in which the Hulk met Hulk Hogan.

Robert Lloyd wrote:
"I remember when he would draw scenes with the our favorite  Jade Giant petting a deer or interacting with Sam Wilson or Rick Jones."

Herb drew the Falcon in Marvel Team-Up #114, but I think you mean Sam Wilson's nephew, Jim.

"It's was disappointing that Herb was never asked to draw for the Rampaging Hulk black and white magazine or the eventually the full process color magazine at the time of the TV series."

Check out the Rampaging Hulk #8 for 32 pages pencilled by Herb and artfully embellished by Alfredo Alcala.
After that series went into colour and changed its name to the Hulk, #19 included a reprint of the classic Heaven is a Very Small Place by Herb, Roy Thomas and John Severin, re-coloured by Steve Oliff.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2015 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'd forgotten that Marie Severin's brother John had also inked many of Trimpe's classic Hulk tales; and looking over some of the old back issues I still own (mostly the MARVEL SUPER HEROES reprints), I very much like Sam Grainger's inks as well.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 03 May 2015 at 2:21pm
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2015 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

Rick… I know you're not going to believe this, but I almost post that
cover as an honorable mention.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 10
  Post ReplyPost New Topic