Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: I Wish Byrne Bashers Would Do Their Homework (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 1  

The next step is that A will be confronted about "what he said," often belligerently, and there is no point at which anyone says "Did you really say 'BLUE'?" They just open fire, both barrels, and when A says "But I said GREEN!" --- Well, obviously he's lying!
Fox News and people like Rush Limbaugh are making a living doing this very thing. I started reading X-Men with issue 130. When John left the book I just wondered what he was going to go do next. It's not like he was the first artist, or writer, to leave one title to go and work on another. Chris Claremont seems to be one of only a few creators to stick on one title for many, many years. Even then I knew and understood that most creators worked on a title for a couple of years and then moved on to another title. I thought this was what kept the stories interesting.
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Tillson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 2  

My Byrne addiction started with Uncanny X-Men 113.  I was on vacation with my family and found it in a local drug store. It was love a first sight.  

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 3  

I prefer your FF run to your X-Men run by a substantial margin. You're my favourite comic book artist, but it's your art AND your stories together that I like. Given the choice to meddle with history, I wouldn't swap a single one of those FF issues for another two extra Claremont/Byrne/Austin X-Men (though I would swap a little toe to have seen you carry on all the way to #300 on FF).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 4  

I started reading X-Men with issue 130. When John left the book I just wondered what he was going to go do next. It's not like he was the first artist, or writer, to leave one title to go and work on another. Chris Claremont seems to be one of only a few creators to stick on one title for many, many years. Even then I knew and understood that most creators worked on a title for a couple of years and then moved on to another title. I thought this was what kept the stories interesting.

•••

Julie Schwartz used to say there was a seven year cycle of "feast and famine." Seven good years would be followed by seven not so good years. My longest tenure on any title was with the FF, and that wasn't seven years. So I have not personally tested the Schwartz Hypothesis.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 5  

My Byrne addiction started with his run on IRON FIST… and as I've stated before, watching JB grow to be such a better artist and (dare I say!) a legend in the industry has been the BEST reward as a fan. (Seeing his progress and experimentation was a learning experience for me as well.)

Sure I wished most of his runs on books like FF, X-MEN, X-MEN HIDDEN YEARS, NEW GODS, NAMOR, HULK, DOOM PATROL and SHE-HULK had lasted longer, but I'm glad for the time he had with those characters.

No negativity should take away from JB's accomplishments.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 6  

"Terry Austin was a fantastic artist as well, sort of the expert interior designer who made those rooms so amazing. JB was the architect, however." 

Very good analogy Brian. The JB / Terry Austin combination was an excellent one. It's one of the few runs that I go back to just to look at the artwork and appreciate it.    
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Christophe Malgrain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 7  

I was VERY disappointed when JB left the X-Men, like everybody, and I was surprised by the weak stories that followed. I was 13 or 14 and I felt that Claremont was lost without Byrne and had difficulty in finding a new direction. Then he brought back Rachel Summers from the future and my interest for the book got high again. I liked what he did with John Romita Jr and Jim Lee, but on the whole, I think his best work was done in collaboration with pour host. JB, on the other hand, never suffered from his separation with Claremont in my view, because his FF stories were even more exciting than the X-Men, and all his runs for DC and Marvel contain at least several unforgettable issues that I like to reread regularly. JB's writing is as enjoyable as his art. I did miss Terry Austin's inks on the first issues of FF but got used to JB's inking.

Darin Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

Avengers 164 (which pre-dates his X-men) is what brought John Byrne to my attention.  Bought it at a rest stop spinner rack during a family trip from Pennsylvania to Florida.  I had just turned 7 and it pretty much blew my little mind.  That issue was so full of great action, characterization, dialogue and fun that it made me not only a John Byrne fan but also a Marvel fan.  I probably read it 100 times even though it was years before I tracked down the other two parts of that story. Jim Shooter wrote it and George Perez did the cover so it was like a Who's Who of rising stars. 

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 9  

JB, As much as I loved your days on X-Men, I think your days on FF were even more epic - and your time on Avengers was as good as it gets since that era is my all time favorite, as a fan (along with George Perez).

All I can say is you've just got to ignore the idiots who don't really know what they are saying.

Your work has always been the best of the best and the perfect blend of artistry, craftsmanship, thoughtful characters and interesting story telling. 

If your critics can't see that then they are just truly blind.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 10  

All I can say is you've just got to ignore the idiots who don't really know what they are saying.

••

I would -- except there are too few who dispute false statements, and too many parrots.

+++

Your work has always been the best of the best and the perfect blend of artistry, craftsmanship, thoughtful characters and interesting story telling.

••

Thanks for the kind words, but not always! I am the first to admit there have been peaks and valleys, and some of those valley have been very deep indeed! Blame it on my personal pathology. I fear stagnation even more than I fear the critics.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 11  

Thanks for the kind words, but not always! I am the first to admit there
have been peaks and valleys, and some of those valley have been very
deep indeed!

—

This is just one example of why I don't get those who accuse you of
having an enormous ego. I've also read comments from you here praising
other comic book professionals, and even saying that you consider them
to be better artists than you.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

Screw the critics.... I'm just grateful for the journey JB has taken us on with his career..."peaks and valleys"...and looking forward to what's next on his drawing board!

-C!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version