Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: I Wish Byrne Bashers Would Do Their Homework (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

I am the first to admit there have been peaks and valleys, and some of those valley have been very deep indeed!

+++

Wow, I guess you are as human as the rest of us.

Too many fans read articles or talk to others, get the stories all mixed up, but still present the "facts" with the mentality of "I was there". It's all disillusion.

Sidenote: This has nothing to do with the OP but I am always astonished at how much politics and in-fighting the comic book industry really goes through.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

As a kid, I was completely oblivious to the names in the front of the comics. I think, if pressed, I probably would have guessed that Stan Lee still wrote all of the Marvel ones.

I've told the story here before that my first comics were bought for me by my dad from a spinner rack at the gas station, and that the two that really stood out to me out of my random pile of comics were Fantastic Four #242 and 243. Especially 243 that had, you know, everybody in it.

It was only when I was in junior high that I actually became aware of the name 'John Byrne'. There was another kid at school who like comics, who actually collected them in bags with boards, instead of just a big pile like me. He was letting me borrow some issues of Iron Man and Daredevil to read. I offered to let him borrow those two FF issues (by that time pretty dog-eared) and when he saw them, he said, "You've gotta get these bagged! These are John Byrne issues! Everything he touches turns to gold!"

Shortly thereafter, I found out that, several months from the time I heard it, JB was going to be taking over West Coast Avengers. My mindset still hadn't switched over yet, though. When I heard that, my response was to go out and search bins to get the first 41 issues of West Coast Avengers so I'd know who the characters were and what was going on.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 19 April 2015 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

John Byrne wrote:
"…Miller got a few runs which became "cult" stuff, and Byrne got a tiny wee bit envious, and for some reason decided that working with Claremont (the pair Claremont/Byrne is credited with hooking ginormous amounts of comic book fans; Byrne alone... I don't know a single person) was suddenly beneath him, and if Miller could do it he could too waaaaaaaaaaaah!"
Funny. I remember at the time, we discussed the reasons you wanted to leave X-Men and go over to the FF, and there were several. Not the least of which was, it was the FF! I don't think Frank Miller's name came up at all. I wonder if this is the same guy who accused Walt Simonson of using Manhunter to rip off Frank's take on Ninjas?
Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2015 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 4  

---I fear stagnation even more than I fear the critics.---JB

Respect!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version