Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: I Wish Byrne Bashers Would Do Their Homework (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

Came upon this on another site:

"…Miller got a few runs which became "cult" stuff, and Byrne got a tiny wee bit envious, and for some reason decided that working with Claremont (the pair Claremont/Byrne is credited with hooking ginormous amounts of comic book fans; Byrne alone... I don't know a single person) was suddenly beneath him, and if Miller could do it he could too waaaaaaaaaaaah!"

The chronology isn't even right!!!

Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

Whoever wrote that sure has his facts wrong…. and obviously isn't a John Byrne fan!!

Poor bastard.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

How many runs at that time did Frank even have as writer/artist? DAREDEVIL is the only one I know of.

And if that guy had done his homework, he would've learned that JB was jealous of Walt getting to be writer/artist of THOR, not Miller.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

Funny, I became a Byrne victim by reading Fantastic Four, Alpha
Flight, The Incredible Hulk and Superman. I didn't read the X-Men
stuff till much later.
I must've become a John Byrne fan, incorrectly
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

What an idjit !

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

Whatever drugs that guy's using must be some really good stuff for him to see things that aren't there.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

You and me both Stephen...!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think JB's history is appreciated and acknowledged by most readers, but there will always be the scorned lovers who must take any shot they can at JB.

I was lucky enough to be reading X-Men at the end of JB's run.  While I was disappointed at first that JB was leaving, I found his run on Fantastic Four to be excellent. I like it better than the X-Men work, which is saying a lot in my book.  And FF was only the beginning of a long and creatively vital run of solo work at Marvel, DC, and independent publishing.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

I first discovered John Byrne during the Dark Phoenix saga. When I saw the art I didn't say. I wonder who wrote that? My first reaction was to check the credits for the name of the artist. Of course back then I wasn't a Burn fan. For years I pronounced your name incorrectly JB. I pronounced it Byron.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

I went back and forth a lot as a kid trying to decide if it was the penciller whose work I was enjoying on the X-Men or the inker. After all, it was only the inker's lines that were being reproduced. Theoretically, the penciller's stuff was all erased, right? After the ink was put on top of it? Who knew what the original art actually looked like? I definitely liked the final result. After I began seeing examples of pencilled art in 'zines and such, I realized that it was JB who built the house I enjoyed spending all that time inside. Terry Austin was a fantastic artist as well, sort of the expert interior designer who made those rooms so amazing. JB was the architect, however. 

So, at the time, I used to say JB and Terry Austin were both my favorite artists since I couldn't decide between the two as to whom to attribute proper credit. Soon, George Perez would be added to that list. Curt Swan, Joe Staton, John Severin, and Jim Aparo were all the artists whose books I picked up most often and fell into completely, just soaking in their worlds so deeply that they didn't really seem like artwork... They just were there somehow, wonderfully realized... Again, time would allow me a bit more objectivity and appreciation of those artists' work as well. As a kid, I literally took it for granted that Clark, Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Batman, and his guest stars all looked great and their surroundings told the story perfectly. 

X-Men was the book where I started to realize someone was responsible for making all that happen. I just couldn't decide who that was. :-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

For years I pronounced your name incorrectly JB. I pronounced it Byron.

•••

There's no incorrect pronunciation as long as you know who you're talking about!

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 2:35am | IP Logged | 12  

Kevin Brown:
Whatever drugs that guy's using must be some really good stuff for him to see things that aren't there

If that guy was around in the days of 'new comic smell', my theory is that he sniffed his comics a little too hard and did irreparable brain damage!

JB:

There's no incorrect pronunciation as long as you know who you're talking about!

Thanks, Joan Bernie!

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version