Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Question for all: Blue Lined Pages (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

What do you guys think about pages that are drawn in blue lines first? Does that lower a pages collectable appeal for you? Or is it more interesting to see the stages that way?

Any other comments or opinions pro or con regarding blue lined work?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

I've done it both ways. Prefer regular pencil.

As to the collectibility factor, to each his own.

Back to Top profile | search

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

I prefer regular pencil.

One thing I adopted, was drawing in regular pencil, scanning and printing it in blue-line on bristol board to ink.  If your scanner has a "drop-blue" function, this can eliminate the "erasing" step entirely, and allow you to keep both pencils and inks.  Not to mention, you can do the inks again should you make a pigs breakfast of it the first time. 

As for collectibility, I like production art to look like production art.  I like seeing editors notes and white ink effects.  Makes the artwork seem more "alive" somehow.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've seen original pages where the "pencil" art was done in blue marker that wasn't all that light. So, when the inks are done on top, the blue marker lines, to me, become very distracting. It's still cool to see the process, but when these pages have an asking price of hundreds of dollars, I tend to not be as interested.

Light blue pencil/marker under inks- fine by me!

Blue line printed-out pencils with inks on top don't interest me as much unless I'm a big fan of the inker. Penciled pages can be cool, but not if they have a gazilion little "x"s everywhere for spotting the blacks. I find that distracting as a stand-alone piece of art. Older penciled art, well that to me is so rare that it becomes much more special. Go figure.

Again, all if this is great for studying the process, but it depends on the asking price of the original art, as each piece is only part of the process. I'd want to have every stage- pencils and inks (and that can get pricey). I tend to prefer seeing the the pre-digital process.. with pencils, inks, and type...and editors corrections, etc... all of it on one page.

For most of my work, I use a Cintiq. So...bye-bye to pencils, inks and paper. I don't miss it one bit, but that's because of the nature of the work I do (licensed characters).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2015 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 5  

As a collector I don't really care, if I like the page I won't mind. BUT I've noticed the value and appeal on a famous worlwide auction site is much lower for such pieces, particularly if the inks are done on a scan of the bluelines obviously.

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2015 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think perhaps it might depend on the artist's style. I really enjoy seeing the blue lines on pages of Barry Windsor Smith's. For me the blue lines compliment the art.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2015 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

I don't have the funds to be a collector of pages. It's why I collect the
Artist's Editions. Even with those, I actually enjoy seeing the blue line.
As an artist, it's fun for me to see the work. The blue lines allow me to
look into an artist's thought process, even if just a little, and see where
they decided, that maybe putting a line "here" instead of "there" might
be more effective to the storytelling process.

I also like seeing margin notes. I find it kinda cool how the process
works as a page is handed from penciller to inker to colorist and editor.

For me, this is the fun of looking at a comic book page compared to
other pieces of artwork.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 April 2015 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 8  

As for collectibility, I like production art to look like production art. I like seeing editors notes and white ink effects. Makes the artwork seem more "alive" somehow.

•••

I love just about anything that "connects" me with the human beings behind the art. One of my Kirby pages has a coffee stain across a lower corner. I realize such a thing would make many collectors heads explode, but for me, somehow, it makes the page feel more "alive."

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2015 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 9  

I agree, JB. I have a bit of Joe Kubert's coffee hanging on my wall. 

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

Are you asking about non-photo blue pencils, or are you asking about the modern technique where artists layout a page on their computer and print that out as bluelines?  It's more obvious with some artists than others, but I've seen artists lay out buildings, draw/paste in vehicles, and use every bit of technology at their disposal in the layout stage, print it out as a blue line, then ink right over that.  It feels a bit like cheating to me, but I guess you have to do whatever works best for you.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2015 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

I bought a commission from Kelley Jones a while back.  He sent me a scan that looked like this:

but when it arrived it looked like this:

I think seeing the blue pencil he laid it out with is awesome!

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2015 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Are you asking about non-photo blue pencils, or are you asking about the modern technique where artists layout a page on their computer and print that out as bluelines?  It's more obvious with some artists than others, but I've seen artists lay out buildings, draw/paste in vehicles, and use every bit of technology at their disposal in the layout stage, print it out as a blue line, then ink right over that.  It feels a bit like cheating to me, but I guess you have to do whatever works best for you.

Technically I was asking about non-photo blue pencils, but really the blue lined print out technique still applies.

As for using technology to lay out a page, I'm ok with that as long as the artist is up front about his technique, but I will say the samples I've seen done that relied on that too heavily were stiff and lifeless when compared to art drawn from scratch with skill.

I'll use a 3D model to help myself out when I know I simply don't have the skill or the time to do it with out the visual aid but the goal is to improve so I wouldn't need that. I'll never be that good, alas.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version