Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Iceman to be outed (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne wrote:
...There is a lot of confusion about homosexuality among the straight community. That it is a "choice," that it is contagious, that one can "suddenly realize" one is Gay. Three strikes, there....

What I find so very interesting about the whole "it's a choice" thing is that it means, if true, EVERYBODY is equally as gay as they are straight. It must be inherent in all of us, with that logic. But, really, does everyone wake up each morning and thing, "I think I'll be gay today," or "I think I'll be straight"?

People are so stupid sometimes.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

This interview with Darwyn Cooke from 5 years ago sums up my opinion about the Big 2 these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UJYH5fzqh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UJYH5fzqh0
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

I usually avoid participating in political, religious, and other like topics on the internet. But, I have to add, in addition to what I posted above, that the most unbelievable thing about all of this is what Bendis wrote on Twitter about the matter:

"...i swear on my dogs, i wanted the issue to come out and just be. no press. no sensational headlines. no leaks. oh, well...."

Swear on your dogs, Bendis... I can't believe that you had NO inkling of what you were doing, and that it wouldn't be "leaked" to the press. This is pure marketing gimmickry, and it will take more than a swear on your dogs to convince me otherwise.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

"...i swear on my dogs, i wanted the issue to come out and just be. no press. no sensational headlines. no leaks. oh, well...."

••

Well, you know! He's new to the business. He doesn't really understand how these things work.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Darwyn Cooke rocks!

Here's the fixed link to the VIDEO,

Thanks for sharing that, Rick!

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

The whole story is based on the "sensational" headline. It
is like the awful panel of Northstar leaping through the
air and announcing he's gay.

A more progressive approach would be to just introduce a
normal 13 or 14 year old who is gay -- no turmoil or
confusion over his sexuality but just an average kid.
Kitty Pryde but with an unrequited crush on Rogue instead
of Collosus.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

So, apparently, this panel is now being used to justify the whole thing as not a retcon:

It never ceases to amaze me how some fans can take one simple scene from an old comic and twist it in order to support their evidence that a particular character is gay/bi. Like Matt said, Bobby was the youngest X-Men and he was being portrayed as a typical very young teen who wasn't obsessed with girls yet. I guess those same idiots who site that panel as proof that Bobby was always gay will now be using that same logic to say that Johny Quest and Hadji are both gay because they found girls icky during the 60's cartoon.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

Here's an interview with Singer and Bendis about Iceman being "outed".

http://www.newsarama.com/24259-bryan-singer-brian-bendis-tal k-about-iceman-outing-in-all-new-x-men.html

http://www.newsarama.com/24259-bryan-singer-brian-bendis-tal k-about-iceman-outing-in-all-new-x-men.html

And here's a quote from Bendis

<<<When asked the impetus for this new development for Iceman, he pointed to the future.

"I thought it opened a great deal of possibility for the characters. I'm kind of leaving everybody in a different place than people thought we were going to leave them, including Angel and all the others," says Bendis.

Bendis points to several moments in past X-Men issues that could be read as hinting to Iceman being "in the closet," something which the writer thought was "obvious.">>>

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

Bendis points to several moments in past X-Men issues that could be read as hinting to Iceman being "in the closet," something which the writer thought was "obvious."

"This is my Northstar!"
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

To maintain the cosmic balance, Northstar should now be revealed to be straight!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

Mike Carey wrote X-Men for several years, with Iceman as part of his roster, and he didn't think this was an out-of-nowhere revelation.  No one who's written the character in the past has made any public complaint either--Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Chris Claremont, Louise Simonson...  With all the comics news sites trying to rack up hits and generate controversy, you'd think if anyone had an objection, they'd have voiced it by now.

As for Stan and Jack not intending for Bobby to be gay, keep in mind that the only character that Stan Lee has claimed was intended to be gay from the start was a guy named Percival Pinkerton:

Not the most subtle portrayal, is it?  Like Jean and Bobby said in the recent All-New X-Men comic, it was a different era.  Every lead character was a straight, white WASP (no offense to Janet Van Dyne) because that's what every single lead character in popular fiction was at that time, end of discussion.  I'm sure that if and when someone gets around to asking Stan Lee about this, he'll be just fine with it. 

Mark Evanier didn't weigh in on what Jack Kirby's reaction would have been, but keep in mind that Kirby was a very progressive guy, and if gay rights had been the kind of issue in 1963 that it is today, it's likely that Marvel Comics would have addressed it, right?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

The only time the possibility of Iceman being gay was discussed in continuity as far as I know was when Northstar had a crush on him. Northstar stated something to the tone of "Not happening, he's straight, end of story."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version